GT - ND postgame thread

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
More ignorant than our coach? Coach Collins said we’d make a bowl this year. Y’all keep ignoring that when you talk about our fans expecting too much.

Pretty sure that was said with the full expectation that we would have full spring and fall practice.

And it still might happen

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Are you smarter than Coach Collins? You say you’re smart enough to have realistic expectations. He said we were going bowling this year. That’s what I was expecting because he said so. I’m holding him to his own damn word.
What coach wouldn’t say that? “Hey guys, we’re going to suck again this year. Our DL is still to small and young, OL not P5 caliber, LBs are slow and not what we need, safeties are okay, WR are okay, kicking game is a disaster, and we’re starting a true freshman QB behind that okay OL.”

Use your brain. Almost all of the people who follow college football and the ACC picked us to finish LAST in the conference. I do t remember the over/under on wins, but I’m pretty sure it was 4 or less. You know who doesn’t care what people think? Vegas. They care about money. If they thought we were going to be good, they would’ve set the line at 6 or so. But they didn’t. So you and your 8-10 buddies on here that have unrealistic expectations can continue to be pissed that YOUR unrealistic expectations aren’t being met.

The rest of us will still be frustrated when we lose because losing sucks, but not freak out because we knew this was coming.

A line I learned a while ago was “hope for the best, expect the worst.” That’s pretty much being a GT fan in a nutshell, but describes this year and last perfectly.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
What coach wouldn’t say that? “Hey guys, we’re going to suck again this year. Our DL is still to small and young, OL not P5 caliber, LBs are slow and not what we need, safeties are okay, WR are okay, kicking game is a disaster, and we’re starting a true freshman QB behind that okay OL.”

Use your brain. Almost all of the people who follow college football and the ACC picked us to finish LAST in the conference. I do t remember the over/under on wins, but I’m pretty sure it was 4 or less. You know who doesn’t care what people think? Vegas. They care about money. If they thought we were going to be good, they would’ve set the line at 6 or so. But they didn’t. So you and your 8-10 buddies on here that have unrealistic expectations can continue to be pissed that YOUR unrealistic expectations aren’t being met.

The rest of us will still be frustrated when we lose because losing sucks, but not freak out because we knew this was coming.

A line I learned a while ago was “hope for the best, expect the worst.” That’s pretty much being a GT fan in a nutshell, but describes this year and last perfectly.

I mean last year he pretty much said we were going to suck, so for him to change his tune, I assumed he meant it. Also, we’ve been picked last before and won the damn division. It’s funny how the pundits don’t know anything unless they back up your opinion.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
More ignorant than our coach? Coach Collins said we’d make a bowl this year. Y’all keep ignoring that when you talk about our fans expecting too much.

I mean last year he pretty much said we were going to suck, so for him to change his tune, I assumed he meant it. Also, we’ve been picked last before and won the damn division. It’s funny how the pundits don’t know anything unless they back up your opinion.

your last 2 posts and possibly a few before you have mentioned his bowl comment. To save you the trouble of typing the same thing God knows how many more times, please note that your comment is duly noted and on record. We hear you young man and we feel your pain. Now, can you please move on and find a new talking point please?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
This is well said. For the folks complaining that “we never lost like this” before, having 150 yards of offense against Clemson can only end in 45-14 games because of reduced possessions. Notre Dame controlled the clock yesterday. Now imagine our same old team on the field from a few years ago, only getting like 150-200 yards of offense. We would have churned more clock but that’s about it. The game would have been like 24-7 or 24-13. Looks like a big success against the #4 team when all it really was is running the clock faster. To be able to actually beat them some day we need to try something different and we are.
This is basically what Kentucky did with Georgia yesterday. Once they went down 14-3 they were content with that being the final score. With 5 minutes to play and down by 2 scores they were still taking the play clock down to 5 seconds and running very conservative plays. They didn’t even run a play once the game clock got below 40 seconds. They completely conceded a 14-3 loss, and were not going to push the envelope at the risk of making the final score any worse. Georgia dominated the game, but their lack of potent offense combined with Kentucky’s conservative play made for a rather mild 14-3 score.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Mason is a good player, but Gibbs is a clearly notch or 2 above him in terms of pure Talent and game-breaking ability

Gibbs is an Alvin Kamara level Talent, Mason is just a guy that might make an NFL Roster, in fact if they both make an NFL roster Mason will be the guy that has to cover KOs & Punts to make the Team, Gibbs won't have to do any of that

I like both but they're at different levels Talent wise
Great. We have moved on from Sims vs Graham to Gibbs vs Mason.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Jordan Mason..... Even in the option system, he was an "ok" B-Back... He wasn't better than Kirvonte Benson or Dedrick Mills. He got a lot of carries because Benson was hurt and Mills transferred, but he would have been behind those guys. I think he's actually better in a "normal" system than as a B-Back... Good player to have though.

I wonder if they tried Tobias Oliver at running back? He's hard to bring down, pretty fast, good nose for holes and the end zone, etc. Dude was born to run the option, but he makes more sense to me as an RB than as a corner. I think he was a 1,200 yard per year option QB.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I don't blame the AD. There is only so much in the budget for Tech athletics.

It's also still early. This coach's plan is to build an Alabama model, win with superior recruiting. I personally don't think that is possible here, but CGC does. That experiment will take at least 4 years to run out.

Hope he proves me and most others wrong.
GT does not enjoy Bama's structural advantages, so no it's not possible for GT to be Bama. And I don't tgink that's TStan/CGC's goal.

They want to upgrade talent accross the board, build a strong culture, and become hard-nosed, disciplined, and fundamentally sound in all three phases.

If we do that we will win our share of games and have mostly good seasons with bowl games and some big wins. Maybe some coastal titles and who knows...knock off Clemson in an ACCCG and have a playoff shot in a special season.

We could have gone a different direction with some gimmick or rarity, or continued with Monken, but we are trying this. We'll see where it gets us, and clearly it will take time.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck

What Coach wouldn’t say that? CGC when he called this the biggest transformation in the history of all sports ever about 85 times last year. Thats at least an example.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What Coach wouldn’t say that? CGC when he called this the biggest transformation in the history of all sports ever about 85 times last year. Thats at least an example.

So he gets blistered when he talks about the challenges facing the program, then gets blistered when he talks positively and says good things like we are going bowling this year? it's almost as if a head FB coach (not just Collins) can do or say nothing right to appease the mob when he's losing games. I bet if he refused to even speak to the press or on record next week, there would be people unhappy with that approach if we lost that game.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Are you suggesting Collins should have run the option for a couple of years while converting the roster?
Not what I said at all. I said or tried to say that those players had skills that could have been used as a good coach would do as he installed his system. And frankly I seriously doubt Collins could coach the option based on our offense so far.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Gibbs looked a step slower than usual to my eyes. Anyone else think that? I’m sure he’s dinged up but is there an official ankle or knee issue he’s having? He’s our best player by far.
Agree he is our best player by far.

I thought he looked quick as all get out vs elite speed on defense. He would have destroyed ND if OL had won the LOS.

IMO already one of the best RBs in the country and seems to get better each week. Will be fun to watch as our OL gets better in seasons to come.

Because..... recruiting is a fools errand. We will not ever (in modern college football) recruit the kind of DL size and length and we will never recruit the depth needed to be Elite (TM) or to compete At A High Level (TM). So you’ve got to be different. To do otherwise is to be stuck in the middle which means lots of 5-7 win years and you’ll need to out coach and compete to get anything beyond that. There is no evidence in 1.5 yr that this staff can pull that off.
Please explain how Chan Gailey recruited the Law Firm of Morgan, Johnson, Walker, & Richard (Wes Durham voice of course)?

If we weren't an option Team and if the previous HC was a better Recruiter we get both Tomlinson & Tuitt, Tuitt was 6-6 320lbs? Tomlinson 6-3 325lbs both are on their 2nd contracts in the NFL

Every GT Fan need to drill this into their psyche:

80 of the Top100 HS FB Recruits in Georgia are Academic Qualifiers for GT, instead of sitting around being lazy and hoping for some unique offense to save our azzes we need to make GT FB more attractive to those guys that can graduate from GT and play at a "high level"

Collins is doing that, and I'm gonna have his back and the next HC's back that understands that

Too many GT Fans suffer from "Recruiting PTSD"

The players are out there, they are nearby & very close, we just have to get them to want to stay at home

If you talk to HS Coaches, the absolute worst thing to happen to GT FB was to run the Option for 11 straight years, for 11 straight years Academically Qualified Top100 players in GA never even gave us a 2nd look

Collins has to undo all of that DAMAGE

In the mind of a HS Recruit, going to the NFL trumps winning 7 Games losing to Dook every yr and then going to a Dec 28th Bowl Game, which was 8 of the previous HC's 11 seasons

Fools errand or not, that's the only way for GT to proceed, ask yourself what Stanford would be doing if they were in Midtown Atlanta and 80 of the Top100 nearby Recruits were Academic Qualifiers

I know what they wouldn't be doing, they wouldn't be begging for some crappy option Offense

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
So he gets blistered when he talks about the challenges facing the program, then gets blistered when he talks positively and says good things like we are going bowling this year? it's almost as if a head FB coach (not just Collins) can do or say nothing right to appease the mob when he's losing games. I bet if he refused to even speak to the press or on record next week, there would be people unhappy with that approach if we lost that game.
Not really from my perspective. I’ve said all along that I’m ok losing. There is a difference in losing and looking unprepared and outcoached.

But that’s a different point than what I was making.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It was obvious yesterday that our coach was playing not to get destroyed and to limit any more hits or verbal heat against Sims. Not one play we called on offense was to actually try and win. I’m all in on the Collins rebuild but the chicken littles after the Clemson game have finally reached him. My opinion is I’d rather lose 70-7 every week while we run our stuff and continue to install our systems (whatever they may be) than to waste games and only lose by 20. Against Clemson and every other ugly loss, we at least moved forward and let our young guys play loose and pick up valuable experience. Yesterday, I saw no advancement. I saw a QB afraid to make throws and take hits with little leadership. I love the play of our WR’s and RB’s but with a QB obviously coached to not get hit or take chances.

I still think our offense will be deadly once we get the OLine further along. Brown, Ezzard, Carter, McCollum, and the others we have coming are legit P5 players and the RB room is our biggest strength. We have 4 games against teams in the mid tier pack so I’m hoping we play loose and fast and use the butt kickings we‘ve endured to get tougher rather than retreat into a shell. Maybe that’s all Collins was trying to do yesterday, survive and stay healthy so we can finish 2-2 or so. I don’t care if we win or lose or how bad we lose as long as we have a plan to play young and gain experience.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
What do you want him to say? We suck as a team right now and the fans shouldn't expect us to win more than 2 or 3 games. That's not the type of coach that I want and it's a fast way to lose any recruits and the locker room.