GT - ND postgame thread

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
What do you want him to say? We suck as a team right now and the fans shouldn't expect us to win more than 2 or 3 games. That's not the type of coach that I want and it's a fast way to lose any recruits and the locker room.
That’s pretty much what he said last year.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It was obvious yesterday that our coach was playing not to get destroyed and to limit any more hits or verbal heat against Sims. Not one play we called on offense was to actually try and win. I’m all in on the Collins rebuild but the chicken littles after the Clemson game have finally reached him. My opinion is I’d rather lose 70-7 every week while we run our stuff and continue to install our systems (whatever they may be) than to waste games and only lose by 20. Against Clemson and every other ugly loss, we at least moved forward and let our young guys play loose and pick up valuable experience. Yesterday, I saw no advancement. I saw a QB afraid to make throws and take hits with little leadership. I love the play of our WR’s and RB’s but with a QB obviously coached to not get hit or take chances.

I still think our offense will be deadly once we get the OLine further along. Brown, Ezzard, Carter, McCollum, and the others we have coming are legit P5 players and the RB room is our biggest strength. We have 4 games against teams in the mid tier pack so I’m hoping we play loose and fast and use the butt kickings we‘ve endured to get tougher rather than retreat into a shell. Maybe that’s all Collins was trying to do yesterday, survive and stay healthy so we can finish 2-2 or so. I don’t care if we win or lose or how bad we lose as long as we have a plan to play young and gain experience.
The offense doesn't have to be deadly for us to win. We shouldn't need a deadly offense to beat Cuse or Boston College...just an adequate one. An adequate defense might help too. After last year I didn't realistically think we were going to magically go from 3-9 to 9-3. But maybe 5-7 or 6-6 might be nice? Right now feels like another 3-9. 5-7 would feel like winning the damn conference right about now, so hopefully that comes through.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The offense doesn't have to be deadly for us to win. We shouldn't need a deadly offense to beat Cuse or Boston College...just an adequate one. An adequate defense might help too. After last year I didn't realistically think we were going to magically go from 3-9 to 9-3. But maybe 5-7 or 6-6 might be nice? Right now feels like another 3-9. 5-7 would feel like winning the damn conference right about now, so hopefully that comes through.
...and just to be clear, yesterday didn't lead me to this spot. This is where I landed after last week knowing that we were likely going to lose yesterday to a much better team.

We *might* win with Sims. He gives us a puncher's chance.

We *won't* win with a game manager. We're too deficient in too many areas to win without a QB making some plays.

All I'm saying is that if Sims isn't getting the job done, which he obviously isn't, let's get Graham and Gleason some playing time before the game gets out of hand. I think that CGC does not want to allow for the possibility that another qb may give us a better chance to win the game. Sims is his ride or die, and this offense is dying.

All I'm saying is that if Sims isn't getting the job done, which he obviously isn't, let's get Graham and Gleason some playing time before the game gets out of hand. I think that CGC does not want to allow for the possibility that another qb may give us a better chance to win the game. Sims is his ride or die, and this offense is dying.
Did you see the the huge gap between Sims & Yates?

My guess is that Yates is better than Gleason at this point

We already saw Graham

When the OLine is a mess it boggles the mind that Fans are asking for a "new QB" and better playcalling

Sorry Pal, the gap between Sims and the rest of our QB Depth Chart is as wide as the Grand Canyon

We have "++ Talent" at QB, RB, and at WR, we just need to be able to block to give them the chance to make plays

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think the upper classmen are realizing they aren't that good. That the FSU game was flukey. Honestly if we started the year with anyone else and played FSU now, I think we lose. That game took everything for us to win and they weren't that good at all.

We have the talent but I swear our players think way too much. Especially on defense. They are either not thinking at all or overthinking to the point they blow coverage.
I've never seen a team leave so many WRs wide open.
It's called social distancing. They're being responsible!

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Please explain how Chan Gailey recruited the Law Firm of Morgan, Johnson, Walker, & Richard (Wes Durham voice of course)?

If we weren't an option Team and if the previous HC was a better Recruiter we get both Tomlinson & Tuitt, Tuitt was 6-6 320lbs? Tomlinson 6-3 325lbs both are on their 2nd contracts in the NFL

Every GT Fan need to drill this into their psyche:

80 of the Top100 HS FB Recruits in Georgia are Academic Qualifiers for GT, instead of sitting around being lazy and hoping for some unique offense to save our azzes we need to make GT FB more attractive to those guys that can graduate from GT and play at a "high level"

Collins is doing that, and I'm gonna have his back and the next HC's back that understands that

Too many GT Fans suffer from "Recruiting PTSD"

The players are out there, they are nearby & very close, we just have to get them to want to stay at home

If you talk to HS Coaches, the absolute worst thing to happen to GT FB was to run the Option for 11 straight years, for 11 straight years Academically Qualified Top100 players in GA never even gave us a 2nd look

Collins has to undo all of that DAMAGE

In the mind of a HS Recruit, going to the NFL trumps winning 7 Games losing to Dook every yr and then going to a Dec 28th Bowl Game, which was 8 of the previous HC's 11 seasons

Fools errand or not, that's the only way for GT to proceed, ask yourself what Stanford would be doing if they were in Midtown Atlanta and 80 of the Top100 nearby Recruits were Academic Qualifiers

I know what they wouldn't be doing, they wouldn't be begging for some crappy option Offense
ok first Richard was a 3 star out of the 2004 class that was rated 48 as a class , Johnson was a 3 star and Walker was a 2 Star player from the 2005 class rated 70 and last one Morgan was a 4 star from our best class rated 15 . Maybe just maybe these players had coaches that could coached up ( something I would like to see with this coaching staff and I have with a few but not the OC or DC ) or maybe the ratings are wrong sometime.
As for 80 of the top 100 Georgia HS FB recruits being academic qualifiers for GT I would have to ask you to show me where you got those numbers.

Did you see the the huge gap between Sims & Yates?

My guess is that Yates is better than Gleason at this point

We already saw Graham

When the OLine is a mess it boggles the mind that Fans are asking for a "new QB" and better playcalling

Sorry Pal, the gap between Sims and the rest of our QB Depth Chart is as wide as the Grand Canyon

We have "++ Talent" at QB, RB, and at WR, we just need to be able to block to give them the chance to make plays

Sorry Pal, I don't buy what you're selling. Graham looked solid his last time out and we have no idea what Gleason can do.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think that CGC does not want to allow for the possibility that another qb may give us a better chance to win the game. Sims is his ride or die, and this offense is dying.
You have to be kidding a coach doesn't want to win so he sits better players who have not done anything wrong. Your hate for Sims is too high and it shows.

You have to be kidding a coach doesn't want to win so he sits better players who have not done anything wrong. Your hate for Sims is too high and it shows.

I truly believe that CGC won't let his ego be tested in this case. Now, I do believe that Sims is our QB of the future. However, I don't buy that he's our best option right now. Not yet.

As for 80 of the top 100 Georgia HS FB recruits being academic qualifiers for GT I would have to ask you to show me where you got those numbers.
Academic Qualifiers for GT as a Recruited Revenue Athlete

GT and the GTAA has different "standards" for Athletes in the NonRev Sports than they do for FB, MBB & Baseball

As a FB recruit they are Academic Qualifiers for FB Scholarship

I'm sorry for not making that clear in my prior post

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I truly believe that CGC won't let his ego be tested in this case. Now, I do believe that Sims is our QB of the future. However, I don't buy that he's our best option right now. Not yet.

You are entitled to your opinion but it is baseless.

Graham didn't consistently move the offense last year. Yates hasn't shown much in limited action. Gleason had a terrible senior season behind a poor O-line, which may not bode well for his prospects with us this year.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
. Gleason had a terrible senior season behind a poor O-line, which may not bode well for his prospects with us this year.

If Gleason played behind a bad line last year, perhaps Coach is trying to put him in and he is refusing based on his experience? Telling him to check back with him in another year or so? :unsure::whistle: (Just thought I would pile on with a new conspiracy theory.)

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If Gleason played behind a bad line last year, perhaps Coach is trying to put him in and he is refusing based on his experience? Telling him to check back with him in another year or so? :unsure::whistle: (Just thought I would pile on with a new conspiracy theory.)
This thread is getting "dumber" by the minute.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

You ever watch Billy Madison?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
He wouldn't have made it. 2 guys had the angle on him so I think he did the smart thing and just got down. I would have liked to see him throw it away, but it's hard to fault him for trying to make a play.
With no timeouts??? Granted that was a coaching decision earlier in the game that list is the chance when spiking the ball after the first down would have saved the last timeout of the half.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
ok first Richard was a 3 star out of the 2004 class that was rated 48 as a class , Johnson was a 3 star and Walker was a 2 Star player from the 2005 class rated 70 and last one Morgan was a 4 star from our best class rated 15 . Maybe just maybe these players had coaches that could coached up ( something I would like to see with this coaching staff and I have with a few but not the OC or DC ) or maybe the ratings are wrong sometime.

Gailey hired a lot of assistants who had coached with success at lower levels, just as he had. His logic was that you had to be good at recruiting diamonds in the rough in the lower levels. That staff did a good job of finding guys who were better than their ratings. This "coaching them up" stuff is overrated. by fans. Johnson's record shows that.

If Gailey's ego had let go of the offensive reigns and hired a good OC, he would have been a good coach for us. What he thought was his strength was his weakness.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Players are evaluated on several things, knowledge and skill are two of the biggest. In theory a smart player, known as having a high FB IQ can be a poor performer in that they are slow or physically outmatched. A low skilled high IQ player should be easy to see. They will be headed to the right spot but to slow to get there, they will be in the right spot but unable to make the tackle etc.

everyone keeps saying we are out recruited, which I have no doubt we are, but my lack of understanding seems to come from the knowledge part ( irony right ). If a player is recruited under one coach, plays for 4 years under that coach and then gets exposed to another coach wouldn’t they still have the same football IQ ? I mean coaches coach fundamentals like angles and responsibility Or style right ?
Dont all coaches teach gap responsibility, lanes, coverage responsibility etc.... ? A 4-3 is a 4-3 under every coach isn’t it ?

coaches tech their systems they don’t come in and tell a player to forget gap identification, it’s still A Gap, B Gap and so on right ?
so if LBer 1 has B Gap responsibility in one defense dont they know where the B Gap is ?

each country has different traffic laws but the steering wheel is still a steering wheel and a blinker a blinker right ?

after awhile if a player has B Gap responsibility and he constantly drops back into Dime coverage isn’t it time to put the guy in who knows his responsibility?