GT @ NCSU

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Most of the concerns people have had with his defense are due to rotations back to the corner of the zone which is the weakness of the zone itself. If a team can make a crisp pass to the wing, then it forces Moses to come up, and stay with that guy longer for the defender from the top to rotate over. If the wing offensive player is quick, he can swing the ball to the corner for an open look unless Banks rotates quickly which is hard. The real issue when it is happening is allowing too easy passes to the wing where you would like to force passes that allow for quicker "handoffs" of defensive assignments and let Moses start rotating back before a pass can be made.

He also gets beat some off the dribble but it is usually by smaller guys, wings and guards, which is to be expected to some degree.
so its a mental iissue that can be fixed?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
so its a mental iissue that can be fixed?

It's not a "mental" issue per se. It is primarily an experience issue in the zone where he needs to learn how not to overcommit to extending his position in the zone. Better understanding of who it is he is looking at and a better idea of how to show just enough to let the guard get out to the shooter and get the hadies back to the corner. Guard has to be motivated to make a really rapid rotation out to where he is - but he has a tendency to be way above the 3 point line leaving Banks having to come out to the corner - which we don't want to do if at all possible.

As for getting driven, he should always be working on his foot speed but he is 6'9" or whatever and there are guys that are simply going to beat him. I am not as worried about that as long as he is in position.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
We about did every thing possible to give the game away down the stretch. Really glad to see team get the win. Hope this helps with confidence in that they see that they can win these close ones and also win in general.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
No we're harping on the awful FT shooting down the stretch entirely as well. We played great and we pulled it out, but we shot 9 of our 10 toes off and almost lost because of it. It shouldn't have even been that close at the end. We will lose games that we were the superior team in if we can't fix these issues.

Yeah, you just reinforced my point.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I was too and I only saw 2 other Tech fans on the concourse. I actually briefly spoke to a guy at halftime and when I left I was the lone smiling face in the sea of red.

I hope I see the day when it's like this at McCamish (1 or 2 or a few visitor fans in a sea of gold).

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
It's not a "mental" issue per se. It is primarily an experience issue in the zone where he needs to learn how not to overcommit to extending his position in the zone. Better understanding of who it is he is looking at and a better idea of how to show just enough to let the guard get out to the shooter and get the hadies back to the corner. Guard has to be motivated to make a really rapid rotation out to where he is - but he has a tendency to be way above the 3 point line leaving Banks having to come out to the corner - which we don't want to do if at all possible.

Good summary of some of the issues our guys (Moses et al) have been having playing our zone. I thought we seemed to do a lot better job last night of covering the corner and not overplaying the wing. Banks did not have to sell out to close out the corner so much.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry but the plan to give STATE a long pass and shoot at end was DUMB. With 1.5 secs on clock and ahead and shooting a FT --you JUST HIT THE RIM and LET THEM TRY TO HIT an 85 ft shot.Do NOT let them have a free pass to our front -ct and a shot.Obvious JP does not remember that bluwitt did the same thing and lost to Tenn yrs ago.
It makes me question his thinking--see --his criminal buddy, crazy rotations, questionable Asst hires.
Nice win but-- wow.
You can hate on Pastner all you want, but at least listen to a post game interview or something before making up a narrative. He said in the interview, he thought about asking Banks to miss, but didn't want to call a timeout to essentially give NC State a timeout (which they didn't have) to draw up a play. Banks didn't look over to him so there was no way to communicate. With the high arc of the freethrow, I'm wondering if Banks tried to miss and get a hard bounce off the rim and just swished it. It happens. There are plenty of reasons to hate on JP, but this one is manufactured

Last edited:

alagold

Helluva Engineer
No we're harping on the awful FT shooting down the stretch entirely as well. We played great and we pulled it out, but we shot 9 of our 10 toes off and almost lost because of it. It shouldn't have even been that close at the end. We will lose games that we were the superior team in if we can't fix these issues.

Actually PJ's gross mistake was much worst than those poor tired guys trying to shoot FTs in a CLOSE ACC ROAD game. HE SHOULD have known better.He had time to think about it and still made the wrong decision.I have NEVER seen a deliberate foul shot miss and then a player in 2 secs throw a ball 85 ft to win.I HAVE seen the other play even VS GT!! There must have been many others.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
We won the game. I wouldn't focus too much on making or missing the free throw on purpose and the last second full court in bounds play. The fact that we had to shoot double their percentage to win because we gave them 26 extra shots is much more concerning. I am thrilled with how this lousy regular season has ended with 2 wins in a row and a lot of improvement, but we have got to refocus on rebounding next season or we will give away plenty of games we should win.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
This win was huge! I am very happy with the way we closed out the regular season. We needed the wins to give us momentum going into the tournament and encouragement for next year. I don't fault coach at all for limiting play to the players he felt would give us the best chance to win. Well done!

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
That was a decent percentage shot NC State got off at the last second, it goes in and all the good things we did that game wouldn't matter one bit.

We had an 88% win probability at the 5:15 mark. We went to the FT line 3 times in the next 5 minutes and came away with 1 point. That's 5 points we handed to NC State and forced us to need a last second shot to win that we should've never needed.

We played some great basketball last night but ignoring glaring problems that should not be occurring with an ACC basketball team just because we eeked out a win in what should have been a 5-10 point win is just not something I'm going to do.

GT_EE78

Banned
Actually PJ's gross mistake was much worst than those poor tired guys trying to shoot FTs in a CLOSE ACC ROAD game. HE SHOULD have known better.He had time to think about it and still made the wrong decision.I have NEVER seen a deliberate foul shot miss and then a player in 2 secs throw a ball 85 ft to win.I HAVE seen the other play even VS GT!! There must have been many others.
Sounds like we probably agree about the dangers of letting the other guy have a late inbounds pass.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We played some great basketball last night but ignoring glaring problems that should not be occurring with an ACC basketball team just because we eeked out a win in what should have been a 5-10 point win is just not something I'm going to do.

And enjoying the fact we played to a level that we should have had a 10 point road win against a .500 ACC team is also something you just won't do.