GT @ NCSU

Jazzchaz

Jolly Good Fellow
Man what a game.

Banks was an absolute monster. 19-9 on perfect shooting, 3 assists, and 5 blocks.
Moses played great as well, and I think he'll be the biggest beneficiary next year of Jose and Devoe getting another year of experience. He just has to keep in mind that dunks will get him on ESPN. Lots and lots of dunks.

What an uplifting win!
The guy next to me at the game Sunday asked what I thought of Wright. I said, "see that number five on his back? That means we love to see him shooting from five feet in." He obviously was pumped to be playing in front of his family tonight. I was happy for him!
Jose was able to drive to the hoop and then circle around and drive back to the basket...never good news for a defense.
State took 26 more shots! This win was so much sweeter because we won it with hustle and getting to the hoop rather than chucking 3's.
By the way, the one good thing about playing the first day of the ACC Tournament is that tickets are cheap and you can sit anywhere you want, as it's general admission!

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
dont you mean an airball and a miss?
No, he meant make. His point was that both an air ball and make keep the clock stopped, which allows them to throw the ball full court, like they did, and almost hit a shot. A miss would take more time off the clock because they would almost have to rebound and shoot a full court shot in one motion because the clock would be running on the rebound.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
No, he meant make. His point was that both an air ball and make keep the clock stopped, which allows them to throw the ball full court, like they did, and almost hit a shot. A miss would take more time off the clock because they would almost have to rebound and shoot a full court shot in one motion because the clock would be running on the rebound.
Even if he was trying to make it we should have at least had a guy harassing the inbounded.

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
Hard to believe this team won the same number of conference games as last years team and will finish higher in the standings

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT can only sit and watch now. BC and Miami both have a chance to get to 6 wins. Miami has a road game at VT, BC a home game against NCST. They are all 1-1 against each other. But it really comes down to Miami for GT. If Miami loses GT is the 10th seed as they would have one more conference win than Miami and even if BC upset NCST GT would own the tiebreaker.
10th seed gets a 2 pm game Tuesday against Pitt.

Love Moses when he plays close to the basket, not when he moves outside - of course ironically he hits the only 3 for GT.

NCST has 2 flaws - one correctable, one not.
They are a poor team both offensively and especially defensively in the paint. That can improve if Keats recruits the right players.
The second flaw is harder. They like to press, if you break their press they give up alot of high quality shots. That is how Keats likes to play but it causes issues when you play teams with good ballhandling. GT's was just good enough last night. I remember Hewitt telling me once early on the biggest thing he learned as a coach in the ACC was that he could not press nearly as much as he did at Sienna. Teams had better ballhandlers and especially on the road where they had the crowd behind them it was harder to force TO's which led to more easy baskets.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
What an uplifting win!
The guy next to me at the game Sunday asked what I thought of Wright. I said, "see that number five on his back? That means we love to see him shooting from five feet in." He obviously was pumped to be playing in front of his family tonight. I was happy for him!
Jose was able to drive to the hoop and then circle around and drive back to the basket...never good news for a defense.
State took 26 more shots! This win was so much sweeter because we won it with hustle and getting to the hoop rather than chucking 3's.
By the way, the one good thing about playing the first day of the ACC Tournament is that tickets are cheap and you can sit anywhere you want, as it's general admission!

I don't agree with talking down a guy's game to strangers, especially in the kid's hometown.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I haven't seen our offense flow that well since Pastner's first year. 17 assists and only 5 3pt attempts. Incredible pass by Jose at the end.

Still should've lost though. That was some horrendous FT shooting down the stretch. We were so bad at shooting FT's down the stretch, we couldn't even miss one on purpose and it almost cost is the game too.
Two games in a row with 50% or less FT shooting during final minute. My HS team won the TN state championship at the FT line. That is a disgrace for an ACC team. Could have put BC game away before OT. could be two Losses instead of wins just on that weakness.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Plus you have 4 of their 5 at the foul line.

Deleted member 2897

We shot 58.1% from the field, compared to 31.9% for NC State, yet had to win on a last second shot. Sounds about right. They took 26 more shots than us last night. 26! Good gracious is it difficult for us to win.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I turned the TV on when we were up 18-12. We promptly lost that lead while making TO after TO. I thought that I'd never seen such a bunch a bumblers on a BB court. Turned it off after back-to-back turnovers (unforced errors, at that) and woke up this morning to see we won. I know I shouldn't have been watching for a reason. -:)

I think Miami would get the 10 if they win at VT on Saturday since they beat us head-to-head. If they lose, we should be 10

Problem with the 10 seed is that we're guaranteed a matchup with either uva or unc in the 3rd round of the tourney (if we made it that far). Would much rather play puke or fsu there as the 11 or 12 seed if we happen to make a run.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
We shot 58.1% from the field, compared to 31.9% for NC State, yet had to win on a last second shot. Sounds about right. They took 26 more shots than us last night. 26! Good gracious is it difficult for us to win.
The two things which have concerned me all year are the number of turnovers and number of offensive rebounds we give up - both translate to the other team getting more shots than GT .... 26 more might have been the largest difference this year - but it is something I always look at in the box .... when close on number of shots we do well, when not we lose (don't count on shooting 60%+ from field very often).

As for Turnovers - guards getting older and wings/bigs a little more disciplined will help. I know this is focus for CJP .... The offensive rebounds allowed is a different thing ... watching replays I see a lot of that is related to the matchup zone and it's unorthodox rotations (or close outs) -too often our guys are 'outside' theirs for the next rotate/close out - which makes getting inside position to rebound harder. Comine that with less specific box out responsibilities and having your center in the corner (which is best place to attack this defense) - leads to the other team getting a lot more offensive rebounds (and shots).

I am curious what CJP thinks is cause of giving up too many offensive rebounds and how he plans to address that (and still play the matchup ... which is effective most nights, so I still want to see that).

FT shooting killed up last night - left 7-8 points out there late which makes the game less stressful at the end.

I did like the last play - Jose with ball at full speed- hope for layup or clear look - shooter in each corner as option, Banks trailing, and Devoe trailing him for three ... well drawn up play and hard to defend once Jose gets the ball and gets going (which if I were Keats I would have kept ball out of his hands at all cost).

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I have to admit Moses is playing well. I’m still not as big on his defense as others but he’s averaging 13 and 6 with a block in his last four games and shooting 61% from 2.

Even I can’t argue with those results.

You've been rightly tough on Moses but hopefully you can see the improvements he has made. I believe he is continues to apply himself to improve and focuses on bringing energy around the basket, he will be a good contributor the next two seasons.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Two games in a row with 50% or less FT shooting during final minute. My HS team won the TN state championship at the FT line. That is a disgrace for an ACC team. Could have put BC game away before OT. could be two Losses instead of wins just on that weakness.

Stay gold, Ponyboy.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
39 minutes again for Alvarado and Devoe. This does concern me. If not Phillips next season, hopefully we can find a good ball handling guard to given these guys some rest. Given the way guys play now, those kind of minutes are not sustainable over a long season.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I have to admit Moses is playing well. I’m still not as big on his defense as others but he’s averaging 13 and 6 with a block in his last four games and shooting 61% from 2.

Even I can’t argue with those results.
Agree on his perimeter defense but he isn't terrible down low and I think he's a much better rebounder than AD.
39 minutes again for Alvarado and Devoe. This does concern me. If not Phillips next season, hopefully we can find a good ball handling guard to given these guys some rest. Given the way guys play now, those kind of minutes are not sustainable over a long season.
Disagree on this. We seem to play way better with less rotations.