GT - Nc State Post game thread

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Went back and rewatched the game.

NC State didn't have a good defensive gameplan. They came out with a head up DT playing back off the LOS trying to catch Burden. I think the theory was to keep their linebackers clean and flowing to the ball, but CPJ adjusted quickly and had Burden pretty much tee off on the DT the rest of the game. I mean, I felt bad for the guy in second half when 58 was plowing him 8-9 yards off the line every play. He got beat some, but got in his guys way when he did. This is one of those game tapes you hold onto.

Defensively, you have to like what we're doing. Bringing pressure and hitting the QB works! We're going to give up yards and we'll have to play faster to reach home vs our next two, though. The turnovers deflated NC State and the hits added up for them. This is a game of inches and making Brissett uncomfortable led to throws just off the mark and their receivers weren't catching 'em. We got fortunate in that respect, but the end result would've been pretty similar regardless. The score forced them to be more one dimensional and DJ White had a great game winning his battle. All in all, we made them lay down.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I rewatched the first qtr and even though we did some nice things with pressure, the back end looked a step slow or just completely out of position much of the time, especially the lb's. We really benefitted from poor throws, throwing to the wrong guys and dropped balls. I'll watch the rest tonight and see if we shored that up at all.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I think my favorite play of the game was the TD throw to Messick. I think that was his first career catch too. I think he’s gonna be a good one. Blocks really well.

Also, does anyone know how much Summers played today? I don’t remember seeing him on the field too much. Most the time it was Corey Dennis driving a DB 20 yards down field.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I know we are not playing great offensive teams, but I agree that playing more agressive on defense is paying off. I think setting an agressive tone is part of why the other team is having so many throws just off and drops of catchable balls. Better teams with more poise may burn us, but as coach said a few games ago, we weren't getting any stops playing cautious, so how can it get any worse.

I also was impressed with Messick. Not that one play is gonna tell you much. But he looks the part of our long string of big target receivers.

Antonio Simmons also caught my eye. He also looks the part of a rush end. Like Keshun, he needs a little more weight. But by next fall, I expect him to be ready.

Is Isaiah Willis a walkon? On one roster I didn't even see him listed.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Is Isaiah Willis a walkon?

I read his bio at ramblingwreck.com. He is listed as a non-scholarship player (guess that is same as walk-on???) that started in 2012 and is now a redshirt sophmore. Site states he only saw PT in 3 games last year and about 5 games this year. He seems to be becoming the "guy off the bench" that everyone wants to see.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I read his bio at ramblingwreck.com. He is listed as a non-scholarship player (guess that is same as walk-on???) that started in 2012 and is now a redshirt sophmore. Site states he only saw PT in 3 games last year and about 5 games this year. He seems to be becoming the "guy off the bench" that everyone wants to see.
He’ll be in the AB rotation next year IMO.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
I think my favorite play of the game was the TD throw to Messick. I think that was his first career catch too. I think he’s gonna be a good one. Blocks really well.

Also, does anyone know how much Summers played today? I don’t remember seeing him on the field too much. Most the time it was Corey Dennis driving a DB 20 yards down field.

Agree about Messick. He is big and looks to have strong hands since he had a vice-like grip on the ball. Sadly, the AJC incorrectly captioned that it was Waller making the TD catch beneath the photo. Messick could a serios contender for #1 or 2 WR next year.