GT @ Miami

How Many Games Will GT Win?

• Total voters

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Hmmm so from what I've seen of the pitchers other than Stanton tonight they all have issues finishing their pitches and repeating their wind ups which is why they walk a ton of guys. Neither of those things are surprising for young pitchers. It happens a lot. Good news is that those are very fixable issues. Pretty confident in saying these guys need another year of development and they were pushed into service before they were ready due to the losses of Heddinger and Clay.

What I don't like is their body language. They look visibly frustrated and defeated after every little thing that doesn't go their way. Gooden in particular looked like he was going to throw a temper tantrum every time he missed the strike zone. No confidence out there. I guess that happens when you're young and pitched like dog **** all season. Most of these guys have never tasted failure on the rubber before. That needs to be addressed but will probably come with some more maturity.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Well I'd say this qualifies as a bad game. Run into one of the best offenses in college baseball that happens to be molten hot and run out your 2nd and 3rd string relievers this is what you're gonna get. At least we got some help from Duke and Pitt. Gotta put this one behind us and try to get a win tomorrow.

The thread should be fun to read tomorrow. This is just what everybody waiting to scream about the sky falling was waiting for. I again caution everyone from reading too much into a single game.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Hmmm so from what I've seen of the pitchers other than Stanton tonight they all have issues finishing their pitches and repeating their wind ups which is why they walk a ton of guys. Neither of those things are surprising for young pitchers. It happens a lot. Good news is that those are very fixable issues. Pretty confident in saying these guys need another year of development and they were pushed into service before they were ready due to the losses of Heddinger and Clay.

What I don't like is their body language. They look visibly frustrated and defeated after every little thing that doesn't go their way. Gooden in particular looked like he was going to throw a temper tantrum every time he missed the strike zone. No confidence out there. I guess that happens when you're young and pitched like dog **** all season. Most of these guys have never tasted failure on the rubber before. That needs to be addressed but will probably come with some more maturity.
What does this say about our pitching coach?

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer

It says our coach has his work cut out with this young group.

This is just what everybody waiting to scream about the sky falling was waiting for.

I hope our fans wouldn't do that. We knew all along what this ball club short comings were and what we needed to do help overcome those weaknesses. We may not do a lot in the post-season but with this young ball club, it still good experience for them.

Like you said, we just need some confidence. Let's hope we win today!

Squints

Helluva Engineer

Not much if you ask me. It's too early to tell whether he's doing a good job or not. This is only his second year here and most of the guys who pitched yesterday were both young (3FR, 3SO, 1JR, 1SR) and from the bottom of the depth chart. I mean Cory Pope and Daniel Gooden are like 3rd and 4th string freshman pitchers for us. It's not surprising they got lit up against a team like Miami. They've got a lot of growth left. We'll have to watch how the guys we have (and the guys he's actually helped recruit since he got here) develop over the next couple of years to really get a good judgement on him.

If they're having the same wind-up issues and can't finish pitches as upperclassmen then yea it doesn't look good for him. But we're talking about 18 and 19 year old kids pitching. Inconsistency on that kind of stuff should be expected.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The thread should be fun to read tomorrow. This is just what everybody waiting to scream about the sky falling was waiting for. I again caution everyone from reading too much into a single game.

Other than having played our worst back to back games since 1957 followed by our worst score loss in God know how long, the sky is falling is a weak comparison. I would imagine it is only much like being in a hurricane. What we have here is close to an extinction event. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event

All that said, I only listened till they hit for the cycle in the first and didn't check the score till now. Plus got about 12 hours sleep for the first time in months:D

Yesterday could be summarized by "No Más" and I won't bother with an autopsy. One funny thing, our RPI improved to 28th with a 1-22 loss.

But wouldn't it be great if we could get into the ACC and beat Miami again? To do that here's where we are:
+19 Louisville
+13 Miami
+5 FSU
+5 ND,
+2 NC State
+2 Clemson

-1 UVa
-2 UNC
-3 GT
-4 VT (@ Pitt & lost 2)
-5 Wake (@ Duke & lost 2)
-9 BC
-10 Duke
-11 Pitt

So now it's simple. Win and we are in. Lose and we are in if either VT or Wake lose. (Again assuming Wake has the tiebreaker.)

I think the 6th apocalypse is avoided today and we win. Why? Because it's baseball and extinction events are fairly rare.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Other than having played our worst back to back games since 1957 followed by our worst score loss in God know how long, the sky is falling is a weak comparison. I would imagine it is only much like being in a hurricane. What we have here is close to an extinction event. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event

All that said, I only listened till they hit for the cycle in the first and didn't check the score till now. Plus got about 12 hours sleep for the first time in months:D

Yesterday could be summarized by "No Más" and I won't bother with an autopsy. One funny thing, our RPI improved to 28th with a 1-22 loss.

But wouldn't it be great if we could get into the ACC and beat Miami again? To do that here's where we are:
+19 Louisville
+13 Miami
+5 FSU
+5 ND,
+2 NC State
+2 Clemson

-1 UVa
-2 UNC
-3 GT
-4 VT (@ Pitt & lost 2)
-5 Wake (@ Duke & lost 2)
-9 BC
-10 Duke
-11 Pitt

So now it's simple. Win and we are in. Lose and we are in if either VT or Wake lose. (Again assuming Wake has the tiebreaker.)

I think the 6th apocalypse is avoided today and we win. Why? Because it's baseball and extinction events are fairly rare.

I think we win today too. Why? Brandon Gold.

Up with the Gold and White! Go Jackets!

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Other than having played our worst back to back games since 1957 followed by our worst score loss in God know how long, the sky is falling is a weak comparison.

I'm not super well versed in Tech's history but the worst back to back games in Tech's history is probably a stretch. We actually played pretty well on Thursday and really not that bad on Tuesday. The hits just didn't fall. I'm sure if you were to comb through the archives you could probably find more than few instances that take the cake.

Yea I just noticed that. Made me chuckle a bit. Shows how much a difficult schedule can help you out I guess.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Gold is overthrowing this inning. And now Pabst makes a little league mistake. That better not cost us.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Well that's just typical. All because Pabst doesn't block a ball a 10 year old would. Hopefully Pitt and Duke win.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Game over? GT 1-4 T5. Gold was out of the inning with a SO but wild/passed ball let batter get to first. We can do that against inferior teams but not one of the best in the country. Oh well.

Good news
Fluke 3-0 over Wake B4
Pitt 3-2 over VT B2

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Well you can't sacrifice bunt with a runner on third. They'll call it a squeeze play which is basically the same thing though. I'm not sure I would have done it but would have been ok with it if we attempted it.