GT @ Miami

How Many Games Will GT Win?

• Total voters

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Standard King, Parr, Gold lineup. http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/051315aaa.html

"Tech enters the final weekend having not yet secured an ACC Tournament berth. In order for the Jackets to defend their 2014 title -- the program's second in the past three seasons and ninth overall -- Tech needs a win combined with a Wake Forest loss at Duke. Two wins will guarantee a tournament berth. Other clinching scenarios also exist."

Like I said in another post https://gtswarm.com/threads/acc-standings-gt-finish.6483/page-2 , I think if we win 1 we are probably in @-2 under 500 ...... we'll just have to see how it unfolds.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We will have our work cut out for us........ Here's the ACC records for Miami and GT broken down by home and away. We'd be much better @ home.

@ Miami: Sweep NC State, sweep Fluke, sweep VT, lose 2-1 FSU. So Miami is 10-2 @ home with the two losses to one of the top 10 teams in the country.
Away from Miami: lose 1-2 Louisville, win 2-1 Wake, win 2-1 UNC, lose 1-2 UVa, sweep Pitt. 9-6 away.

@GT: win 2-1 Fluke, lose 1-2 UNC, win 2-1 UVa, win 2-1 Clemson, win 2-1 Pitt. 9-6 @home.
Away from GT: win 2-1 ND, swept by Louisville, win 2-1 VT, swept by BC. So we are 4-8 on the ACC road so far......

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Do you have the various scenarios that will see us through to the ACC tourney? I know a sweep will help, but if we win no games, 1 game or 2 games, what other results need to go our way? who should we be rooting for the next 3 days?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just got back from a business meeting. Don't know why I was looking forward to this ...... masochistic I guess, but that's what the Institute teaches ......

B6 0-2 Miami. They scored 1 in third and 1 in 5th. We have 1 hit and one error. So are the wheels off the offense again?

This is probably King's last inning, 91-55.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Announcers talking about it has been 18 innings since we scored ..... AJ just struck out. If our season ends this weekend, it'll be the BC series failure to blame. Not to losing to very good teams like Louisville or Miami.

Edit: Kel just stuck out too.

Edit: Smith popped out. 6 outs left and two runs down. Now is NOT the time to burn Zac! Keeping King in even though he has 97 pitches to start the 7th.

King sets them down 1-2-3 with 11 pitches. King has more than done his part!

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT T8th - Ground Out, Strike Out, Fly Out. 3 outs left down 0-2.

Team should forfeit tomorrow and all go get ****.

King done and Zac is in. One hit in eight innings and we are putting in our best reliever down two? I guess it's because Hall knows we are going to get killed tomorrow and Zac can pitch on Saturday if he only goes an inning tonight.

Edit: Zac gives up a run with only one out. Time to pull him to save him for a possible relief on Saturday. Game over with us down 0-3.

Last edited:

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Do you have the various scenarios that will see us through to the ACC tourney? I know a sweep will help, but if we win no games, 1 game or 2 games, what other results need to go our way? who should we be rooting for the next 3 days?

If we win one game this weekend we're in. If we don't we should be rooting for UNC, Pitt, and Duke.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
GT loses 0-3. We'll lose tomorrow. Like I said, we'll probably win Saturday in the ninth.

1 f'ing hit, just like UGAg. The wheels are off the car again.

Ha. Take it easy there sunshine. You don't want anyone to think you're looking through gold colored glasses or anything. :p

It's been two games. One of which was against a very good pitcher. The bats are in a slump. It happens. I'm gonna wait a little longer than two games to say the wheels have fallen off (for the first time).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here with the sunshine, I'm looking at a car on jacks. No runs in 21 innings and 4 hits in those 21 innings. But tires can be put back on in less than a NASCAR minute ........

I expected us to be in the ACC play in from the beginning of the season, so my expectations are close to beeing (sic) met and I've enjoyed the games a lot where we've played well ..... but damn, just damn. Here's the standings this morning:
+20 Louisville
+12 Miami
+6 FSU
+4 ND,
+1 NC State

+1 Clemson
-1 UNC (UVa and lost)
-2 GT
-2 UVa (@ UNC and won)
-3 VT (@ Pitt & they lost)
-4 Wake (@ Duke & won)
-9 BC
-11 Duke
-12 Pitt

We win one more, we are in at -2. @-2 both UNC and UVa can't finish in front of us. UVa and UNC split and we finish ahead of UVa on tie breaker. UVa wins both and UNC is -3. UNC wins both and UVa is -4. This allows for both VT and Wake win both their remaining games and end up -1 and -2, ahead of us (Wake with tiebreaker*).

We lose both more and end up at -4. Then to be at least #10, we need one of the following three (assuming Wake has the tiebreaker). My logic may be wrong, but it looks like 5 teams fighting for the last 4 spots so we only have to finish in front of one of the other four (UNC finishes in front of us if we are at -4):
UVa loses both of the next two @ UNC to end -4 (we have tiebreaker)
VT loses both of the next two @ Pitt to end -5
Wake loses both of next two @ Duke to end -6.

So we are likely to be in the ACC tourney (gold glasses back on). Even after our loss to Miami we are still 29th RPI. So making the NCAAs could well depend on how we do in the ACC tourney ....... just like last year!

*I said assuming Wake has the tiebreaker because that is what was implied on the GT site. Here's the ACC tiebreaker for seeding which I'm not going to try to figure out.
"(b) Non-Divisional Opponents.

Two-Team Tie
(1) Head-to-head conference competition between the tied teams.
(2) Head-to-head competition of the tied teams compared to common opponents with the highest overall conference winning percentage and continuing until one team gains an advantage.
(3) Coin flip.

Three-or-More-Team Tie
(1) Combined head-to-head record among the tied teams (if common opponents).
(2) Head-to-head competition of the tied teams compared to common opponents with the highest overall conference winning percentage and continuing until one team gains an advantage.
(3) The seed shall be chosen by a draw."

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
No runs in 21 innings and 4 hits in those 21 innings.

I always love when I see stats like this. When the streak started, we were up 10-2 on Pitt in the 6th. I'm not sure we were too worried about getting hits and runs for those first three inninings of the streak.

We've been shut out in back-to-back games. I realize that isn't good and it doesn't have the "WOW!" factor of 21 innings. But including those first three innings is silly.

That said, the bats need to wake up and get into the tourney. Bad time for a slump against a good team.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
(1) Our bats are ice cold whether you count it as 18 innings or 21.....
(2) I could EASILY see us losing the play-in game to the AC Tournament...but with King on the mound we would have a 50-50 shot imho
(3) I doubt CFDH cares about the round robin after the play-in game. We could easily go 0-3 there, or (more likely) 1-2. That's IF we win the play-in
(4) My guess is we go to the NCAA's even if we lose the play-in game, but it would be a squeaker of a decision, no doubt about it
(5) I think whether we go to the NCAA or not, this will be a very short post-season for this team. Very short and not pleasant.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I expect a short ACC tourney if we make it. Also a short NCAA, but I feel better about the NCAA if we get out of ACC quick and have King/Gold/Zac fully rested .... anything can happen if we get hot bats .... there is an advantage to a short ACC tourney and being viewed as a weak 3 NCAA seed no worth wasting the best pitchers on. Last year we were wore out by all the ACC games we played.....

In the draft, as long as we don't lose King or Zac Attack and pick up Stallings and/or Hughes (RHP), I think we'll be better next year with pitching along with Craport and others coming on. We have a very young team. If Heddinger had stayed this year ......

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I always love when I see stats like this. When the streak started, we were up 10-2 on Pitt in the 6th. I'm not sure we were too worried about getting hits and runs for those first three inninings of the streak......

WREK just said that GT hasn't been shut out in back to back games since 1957.

The guys try hard, but have really sucked. That's life, we don't live in Lake Woebegone.

The stat I was going to use was two games with two hits. And UGAg is no power house.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Well today's the first time I've actually been able to watch Parr pitch and holy **** what the hell happened to him? He looks like a totally different guy than last year. He has no idea where any of his pitches are going. His breaking ball is a loopy mess with no bite and his fastball looks like it's floating in. It's a miracle his numbers are as good as they are. No wonder he lost his job to Pitts.