GT / Louisville

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
To me this season has been more frustrating than any other of CJP's tenure so far. We all see the potential there, which makes it so frustrating that we have a losing record! If we just would've won against a super mediocre Pitt team (that just got blown out at home by Clemson) we'd have some real momentum right now.

Please, for the love of God, just win against Wake and see what happens from there! Like I said after our win last week, we are due for a crazy winning streak or something after all of these years of futility.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Great win ! Now we need to build on this and get some momentum and consistency.
I have been frustrated by this team, but I keep waiting for the worm to turn, maybe this is it !
How was McCamish last night, it looked OK on TV, but the camera pans may have been strategic and how as the noise, Home advantage ?

I was there, and I’ve been to every home game and (to me, at least), it was almost as loud as the Duke game. Especially most of the second half. Crowd wasn’t the same number as the Duke game of course, but damn near as loud. Very fun atmosphere and energy. Student sections really showed out as well.

Deleted member 2897

I had a good feeling about this game since we had almost beaten them on the road earlier this season. Our starting five is very solid and can compete with just about anyone but boy do we need some depth! Louisville kept subbing in what seemed like every other possession and while our starters vastly outperformed their starters our bench was outscored 40-2! We’ve got to recruit better and develop more depth (and of course cut down on TO’s) in order to finish more games and become a serious tourney team

I prefer to point out our starters beat the #5 team in the country's starters 62-18.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
There have been games that on TV looked like a morgue. Last night looked like a good crowd - not packed by any stretch but good recognizing you can't see very far into the crowd with the lighting. Downside was a lot of the camera angles showed fans in red so not sure what the split was but you couldn't help but think it was a lot of LV.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
To me this season has been more frustrating than any other of CJP's tenure so far. We all see the potential there, which makes it so frustrating that we have a losing record! If we just would've won against a super mediocre Pitt team (that just got blown out at home by Clemson) we'd have some real momentum right now.

Please, for the love of God, just win against Wake and see what happens from there! Like I said after our win last week, we are due for a crazy winning streak or something after all of these years of futility.

(If) we can go 4-2 down the stretch, which looking at the schedule isn't out of the question, we would be 10-10, 16-15 going into the ACCT.
A couple of tournament wins would give us 18 wins on the season, in a fairly soft NCAAT field we might get some attention.
It may be wishful thinking, but I am starving for a reason to watch the NCAA Selection Show and have a rooting interest in the tournament ...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
(If) we can go 4-2 down the stretch, which looking at the schedule isn't out of the question, we would be 10-10, 16-15 going into the ACCT.
A couple of tournament wins would give us 18 wins on the season, in a fairly soft NCAAT field we might get some attention.
It may be wishful thinking, but I am starving for a reason to watch the NCAA Selection Show and have a rooting interest in the tournament ...

We need to shut the post season appeal down. We're not going to the NCAAT.

Put all our chips in the middle for next season.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck

Same here!! I can't believe it's been 10 whole years since we've even sniffed being mentioned on that show. Unless you count us showing up in the "bad losses" column for a team on the bubble. :ROFLMAO:

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
2, 9, 4, 2, 1.

Anybody know what those numbers are?

Those are the points scored by Louisville’s starters tonight. That’s not a typo - our starters out scored theirs tonight 62-18.

That's great and all, but take a look at the point differential between their bench and ours. It was 27-2 at one point in the second half.

Pastner talks about busting through the door, if he is going to magically turn this ship in the right direction, that has to change first and foremost.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We need to shut the post season appeal down. We're not going to the NCAAT.

Put all our chips in the middle for next season.

They're not going to do that... It has nothing to do with whether they think that they can make the postseason or not, but it gives the wrong signal.

In essence, we would be saying that we only appealed because we thought we could make the postseason and not because we thought they were overly harsh.

Just my opinion, but I think that it would hurt our chances on the other appeals. We're pot-committed at this point, and we have to wait it out.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
They're not going to do that... It has nothing to do with whether they think that they can make the postseason or not, but it gives the wrong signal.

In essence, we would be saying that we only appealed because we thought we could make the postseason and not because we thought they were overly harsh.

Just my opinion, but I think that it would hurt our chances on the other appeals. We're pot-committed at this point, and we have to wait it out.

I get the perception part, but are we at the level of biting off our noses to spite our face? There's a 1 in 10 chance the NCAA is going to overturn their ruling, and given that we've been labeled a habitual offender, that 1 in 10 chance is being generous.

There's a real possibility GT sits at 20+ wins next season and a shoo in for the tournament...be we have to miss it because we decided to appeal a season we didn't have any shot at the tournament. How would perception be then?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
As I said, it might be wishful thinking, but as a GT fan, why not.
Also IMO, so far this season this team has not lived up to it's potential, maybe they will down the stretch ...

This team is so maddening, watch us win the ACCT and automatically make the NCAAT.

Deleted member 2897

That's great and all, but take a look at the point differential between their bench and ours. It was 27-2 at one point in the second half.

Pastner talks about busting through the door, if he is going to magically turn this ship in the right direction, that has to change first and foremost.

I mean glass half empty I guess.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I mean glass half empty I guess.

Yeah, that's me.. Mr. glass half empty.. LOL...cmon dude! Our bench was outscored 40-2.

We won the game.. That's enough, but our starters played virtually the entire game. They played 8-9 deep.

Whats the point?

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer

THIS...We have way too many guys on scholarship that are getting absolutely no run right now. Whether you want to blame that situation on the talent level of bench players or CJP and staff for their lack of recruiting/getting guys prepared, it makes no difference, but there is something seriously wrong with our lack of bench and the amount of minutes our starters are logging.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
FWIW our minutes last night were not as " bad" as I have seen them in the past. We had 4 folks over 30 min but the most was 33. 33,32,32,31 Bubba came off the bench for 28 min, Moore 10 and Cole 6. I thought Cole might get a few more minutes but otherwise was OK with it. The issue is Bubba can't go 28 minutes and score 2 points. Same for Moore and Cole but obviously to a lesser degree. I like that Bubba doesn't turn it over a ton - a rare quality on this team - but someone has to score off the bench and he is the obvious one. Moore just has to get better. Cole kind of is what he is. The rest are projects at this stage.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Yep. I may be remembering it wrong because I was wound up, but I think we were about to score a run out basket on that goal tending review weren’t we? Then shortly after that Moses gets a foul call when upon replay he literally did not even touch the guy, but just moved out of his way.

No, you did NOT miss-remember... that's is exactly what happened.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, that's me.. Mr. glass half empty.. LOL...cmon dude! Our bench was outscored 40-2.

We won the game.. That's enough, but our starters played virtually the entire game. They played 8-9 deep.

Whats the point?
Our bench was significantly outscored but they did provide more meaningful minutes than in most games and only had 2 turnovers between them.
Khalid 10 min, Cole 6 min, Bubba 28 min