GT looking at coordinators as head coaches

SilverFox81

Georgia Tech Fan
I remember a certain coach that said "Tech wants to be MIT Monday-Friday and FSU on Saturday." He might have been joking then(don't think he was), but we really need to decide on who we want to be going forward- Lame duck football program or compete with the big boys.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Northwestern: 80 FEI, 95 FPI, 99 Sagarin
Average: 91.33​
Ole Miss: 16 FEI, 15 FPI, 17 Sagarin
Average: 16​
Temple: 109 FEI, 113 FPI, 125 Sagarin
Average: 117.67​
UCF: 18 FEI, 21 FPI, 27 Sagarin
Average: 22​
Kansas: 39 FEI, 48 FPI, 44 Sagarin
Average: 43.67​
Georgia: 1 FEI, 1 FPI, 1 Sagarin
Average: 1​
What exactly could I be telling myself? The best OOC team Duke has played is 20 spots lower than the worst OOC game Tech has played. Not to mention they lost that game to Kansas too. Duke would’ve gotten steamrolled by our schedule the same way we have. Not to mention they dodged Clemson and Florida State out of the Atlantic, and instead got Wake Forest and Boston College. I could breakdown how much better Clemson and FSU are than WF & BC by the numbers too, but what’s the point? Duke has played solid football, and they’ve won 7 games, good for them. But every team on their schedule has been a cupcake, and they lost to us anyway, so who gives a damn about Duke? Elko will be a fine coach for them. If they keep playing high school teams every year they’ll keep winning 6-8 games I guess.
Did we not play Western Carolina? Our OOC schedule was tough. Who argued otherwise?

Keep telling yourself that we are not as bad as we are.

You seem fixated on Duke and their opponents. Who cares?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Did we not play Western Carolina? Our OOC schedule was tough. Who argued otherwise?

Keep telling yourself that we are not as bad as we are.

You seem fixated on Duke and their opponents. Who cares?
Yeah we played Western Carolina. Duke also played an FCS team. Nobody cares about those.

When did I ever say we aren’t bad? The only reason I even said anything about Duke is because they were brought up regarding the title of this very thread. Tim Elko was a defensive coordinator before he took the HC job at Duke. Somebody was acting like he was working miracles at Duke, and they were ahead of us. I’m simply saying Duke, and by rule Elko, has been the beneficiary of a very weak schedule. It’s inflating their record, and we shouldn’t look at him and think hiring a coordinator is the best move forward simply because he’s won some games against very bad teams.

I’m not even sure what point you’re trying to make? Literally I don’t know. I’m just speaking on Elko and Duke. What are you talking about?

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the issue is we have played a much tougher OOC schedule than most teams in the ACC. UGA is a given but we shouldn't load up the rest of the OOC schedule. My guess is GT AD was looking at filling up the stadium for more revenue. But at the end having 3 winnable OOC opponents means you have a much better chance to go bowling. Winning doesn't always equate to more attendance but losing consistently reduces a lot of your fan base. Obviously our team needs to improve to win those 3 OOC games as witness by Citadel and Northern Illinois

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We lost to two teams (#92 Da U and #110 UVA) with higher RPI than us and beat VPISU (#145) by one point. The Pitt win is a complete outlier.

Okay? The point wasn't about us. The point was Duke has a piss easy schedule which it does no matter how you slice it. The comparison to us was just to show that even with us playing in the same division, where a lot of our opponents should overlap, they have a lot more extraordinarily easy games.

Like I said, they are improved. But they aren't nearly as improved as a 7-3 record would normally indicate.

slugboy

Staff member
I think the issue is we have played a much tougher OOC schedule than most teams in the ACC. UGA is a given but we shouldn't load up the rest of the OOC schedule. My guess is GT AD was looking at filling up the stadium for more revenue. But at the end having 3 winnable OOC opponents means you have a much better chance to go bowling. Winning doesn't always equate to more attendance but losing consistently reduces a lot of your fan base. Obviously our team needs to improve to win those 3 OOC games as witness by Citadel and Northern Illinois
Our fans screamed from 2010 through about 2015 “I hate these Gardner Webb games, can we play a team I’ve heard of?”. So, we scheduled pretty good teams when we were good, but we had to put them on the schedule 8-10 years out. Sometimes they were on the schedule earlier and got postponed.
Now we’re actually playing those games that we scheduled when we were really good and they were good, but we’re not good any more, and they’re better than they used to be. So, we’re getting beaten up.

Ten years ago, we’d still go bowling against this schedule.

We did leave a patsy or two on our schedule, like KSU, NIU, and The Citadel, but even THAT didn’t work out sometimes.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I am all for a weak OOC schedule, and it can't ever be that weak, with uga. look at NCSt, they have the easiest of schedules (and your Dook example) and everyone thinks the coaches are great (Doeren is always on lists for better jobs) and and program is doing well, and they go to bowls every year. Fans much prefer going to a home game to see wins vs. seeing ranked teams come to town and whip us (I get it that deep down we think we prefer Ole miss coming here for a competitive game). my kids would much rather see us win over Western Carolina vs get smoked by Ole Miss and we leaved by halftime. In theory playing Auburn or Ole Miss sounds good but its overrated in practice, UNTIL we find that our weak schedule is keeping us out of the playoff. I am willing to take the risk that we miss a playoff birth due to weak schedule in order to get to a bowl every year.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I am all for a weak OOC schedule, and it can't ever be that weak, with uga. look at NCSt, they have the easiest of schedules (and your Dook example) and everyone thinks the coaches are great (Doeren is always on lists for better jobs) and and program is doing well, and they go to bowls every year. Fans much prefer going to a home game to see wins vs. seeing ranked teams come to town and whip us (I get it that deep down we think we prefer Ole miss coming here for a competitive game). my kids would much rather see us win over Western Carolina vs get smoked by Ole Miss and we leaved by halftime. In theory playing Auburn or Ole Miss sounds good but its overrated in practice, UNTIL we find that our weak schedule is keeping us out of the playoff. I am willing to take the risk that we miss a playoff birth due to weak schedule in order to get to a bowl every year.
The likelihood we miss a playoff berth over a weak schedule seems pretty low, as we still play a full ACC slate and UGA. I seem to recall Clemson has had a very weak schedule several of the years they made the playoff, but it doesn't matter if you are undefeated and a P5 champ.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah we played Western Carolina. Duke also played an FCS team. Nobody cares about those.

When did I ever say we aren’t bad? The only reason I even said anything about Duke is because they were brought up regarding the title of this very thread. Tim Elko was a defensive coordinator before he took the HC job at Duke. Somebody was acting like he was working miracles at Duke, and they were ahead of us. I’m simply saying Duke, and by rule Elko, has been the beneficiary of a very weak schedule. It’s inflating their record, and we shouldn’t look at him and think hiring a coordinator is the best move forward simply because he’s won some games against very bad teams.

I’m not even sure what point you’re trying to make? Literally I don’t know. I’m just speaking on Elko and Duke. What are you talking about?
You responded to my post about our losses to UVA and Da U by going off about how bad Duke was. I am not sure why you think I care about Duke but then you did it again, and yet again. I never mentioned Duke. I don't care about them

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Okay? The point wasn't about us. The point was Duke has a piss easy schedule which it does no matter how you slice it. The comparison to us was just to show that even with us playing in the same division, where a lot of our opponents should overlap, they have a lot more extraordinarily easy games.

Like I said, they are improved. But they aren't nearly as improved as a 7-3 record would normally indicate.
I was not taling about Duke. I was talking about us. Since you mentioned the RPI rankings, I replied to your post to talk about our bad RPI losses. I do not care about Duke's schedule.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I was not taling about Duke. I was talking about us. Since you mentioned the RPI rankings, I replied to your post to talk about our bad RPI losses. I do not care about Duke's schedule.

The question i was answering was directly about how Duke improved so much.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Ten years ago, we’d still go bowling against this schedule.
Ten years ago--2012--the only team we beat during the regular season that ended up with a winning record was UNC. We also lost to Middle Tennessee by 21. Somehow we made it to the ACC Championship game. All of which says: Play an easy schedule. We ended up 7-7 by beating a bad SoCal team in a bowl.

This year's schedule was tougher than the 2012 schedule, and we barely made a bowl in 2012 6-6 during the regular season. I'm not sure your statement is correct.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Dumb question/comment, but couldnt one argue that EVERY head coach was a coordinator at one point. So basically all good head coaches came from that path :) But so did all the terrible coaches

This. That seems like the most natural progression, stepping stone. I would guess the question would be how fast and how successfully did they make the transition?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Yes, and I was using your reference to the RPI to bring it back to GT football. Maybe it is just the narcissist in me, but I like to talk about Tech football in threads about Tech football.

Nah, it's just the lack of insight about how a discussion over the success of a school who hired a coordinator could be relevant to a topic about GT looking at hiring a coordinator.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Nah, it's just the lack of insight about how a discussion over the success of a school who hired a coordinator could be relevant to a topic about GT looking at hiring a coordinator.
We are not going to hire the Duke Head Coach. He is in his first year at Duke. There is nothing insightful about talking about Duke. Fixating on their schedule is meaningless. If we are trying to extrapolate how some other coordinator might perform as our head coach based on what Duke did this year, we are in worse shape than I thought.

I will add, just because you and others want to go down a rabbit hole to talk about Duke does not mean everyone else has to follow you.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We are not going to hire the Duke Head Coach. He is in his first year at Duke. There is nothing insightful about talking about Duke. Fixating on their schedule is meaningless. If we are trying to extrapolate how some other coordinator might perform as our head coach based on what Duke did this year, we are in worse shape than I thought.

I will add, just because you and others want to go down a rabbit hole to talk about Duke does not mean everyone else has to follow you.

Nobody forced you to post your irrelevant response. You did so of your own volition.

You may think talking about first year ACC Head coaches who had no prior experience as a head coach and the causes of their success is meaningless to the discussion of GT hiring a first year head coach with no prior experience. Others don't share that opinion. You are free to just ignore the conversation of others if you want.

slugboy

Staff member
Ten years ago--2012--the only team we beat during the regular season that ended up with a winning record was UNC. We also lost to Middle Tennessee by 21. Somehow we made it to the ACC Championship game. All of which says: Play an easy schedule. We ended up 7-7 by beating a bad SoCal team in a bowl.

This year's schedule was tougher than the 2012 schedule, and we barely made a bowl in 2012 6-6 during the regular season. I'm not sure your statement is correct.
Here's today's schedule in 2012. Our 2012 team would probably go bowling against it, and 2012 wasn't even a good year for us. I count six games favored, and some are in the toss-up category--we did pretty well even if we weren't favored.

Our 2012 team would stand a good chance of bowling against the 2022 version of this schedule, too.

ScheduleRkTeamFavored?RecFBSFEIOFEIRkDFEIRkNDERkNPDRkNAYRkNPPRk
47​
Georgia Tech(n/a)7-76-7
0.21​
0.82​
15​
-0.15​
67​
0.43​
42​
0.22​
52​
0.045​
46​
-0.11​
69​
Clemson
14​
ClemsonNo12-211-2
0.6​
1.06​
8​
0.05​
57​
1.05​
18​
1.06​
18​
0.127​
18​
0.51​
38​
Western CarolinaYes1-100-1
Ole Miss
22​
Ole MissNo7-66-6
0.49​
0.39​
33​
0.76​
18​
0.4​
45​
0.42​
40​
0.022​
55​
0.44​
41​
UCF
39​
UCFNo10-410-4
0.3​
0.5​
28​
0.1​
54​
1.11​
15​
1.19​
10​
0.091​
27​
0.86​
26​
Pitt
45​
PittsburghNo6-75-6
0.23​
0.11​
52​
0.46​
38​
0.22​
55​
0.22​
53​
0.006​
63​
-0.1​
65​
Duke
75​
DukeYes6-75-7
-0.23​
0.15​
51​
-0.63​
97​
-0.67​
91​
-0.58​
86​
-0.076​
85​
-1.69​
116​
UVA
83​
VirginiaYes4-83-8
-0.32​
-0.66​
101​
0.19​
50​
-0.49​
84​
-0.58​
87​
-0.029​
76​
-0.17​
71​
FSU
12​
Florida StateNo12-210-2
0.73​
0.44​
31​
0.97​
11​
1.35​
8​
1.43​
9​
0.226​
3​
2.77​
1​
VT
57​
Virginia TechYes7-66-6
0.09​
-0.53​
91​
0.76​
19​
-0.01​
61​
0.04​
61​
0.011​
60​
0.31​
47​
Miami
60​
MiamiYes7-56-5
0.03​
0.35​
36​
-0.42​
87​
-0.28​
75​
-0.23​
73​
-0.012​
71​
0.22​
51​
North Carolina
53​
North CarolinaYes8-47-4
0.17​
0.55​
25​
-0.28​
77​
0.67​
29​
0.71​
28​
0.069​
33​
0.93​
21​
UGA
5​
GeorgiaNo11-210-2
0.96​
1.18​
6​
0.94​
12​
1.62​
4​
1.64​
4​
0.179​
6​
2.18​
4​

Last edited:

Bleedwhiteandgold

Georgia Tech Fan
I am moving toward the belief that Brent Key should be retained as our next Head Coach. I think he has done well with the situation he was handed post-Collins. One key aspect that has me thinking in that direction, is the emergence of our young quarterback, Zack Pyron. Zack and Brent are basically from the same place in Alabama and Brent was heavily involved in Zack's recruiting. There just seems to be a chemistry and synergy that is becoming more and more prevalent as this season moves forward there. Quarterbacks make or break college football programs and I think we have a special one.

If a new guy takes the reigns it is going to take 3 to 5 years to determine if he is the right guy or not, regardless of who it is. One thing about Key is you know he loves Georgia Tech and he will give it his very best effort to make the program the best it can be. He has a good relationship in the State of Georgia with the High School coaches. He has existing relationships with the current players and knows our current needs. I think he could put together a good staff and recruit well.

Go Jackets!
NO. Just NO, that brings no excitement to the fan base or donors. We've seen enough of Brent Key and any leftover regime tied to Collins. We need to clean house and bring excitment back to the fan base. Key was in charge of the OL during Collins tenure and you see how they performed. I've seen enough and i'm sure JBATT has too. I appreciate everything key has done for Tech and the SA's, but its truly time to clean house and move on. This is literally the floor for GT football to go this route imho.