GT looking at coordinators as head coaches

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure if this is directed at my earlier comments or not. I see a power 5 conference job, in a huge metro area, in a big time football state as a good job. I feel that we've gotten use to settling for 30 or 40 years (for the most part) and too many think "respectable" football is our ceiling. It's not. A national championship is our ceiling. Is it more difficult a climb here, as opposed to Miami, Auburn, Nebraska and other schools that had fallen on hard times? sure.

I see way too many on this site claiming "no good coach would be interested" and "can't recruit well due to academics" and alluding to most recent good seasons of 7-9 wins all we could possible demand. It's almost as if we accept losing, as long as we don't get blown out.

I have asked this before in many of my posts, but will ask again. What is holding the GT football program back from national prominence, other than our own fans apathy? I say nothing. No reason we can't be a top 25 team and a top 25 recruiting program with a run at the CFP every 4 or 5 years...at the VERY least. Just because we have not been doing that, doesn't mean our glass ceiling is second tier in ACC and outside of top 25 nationally. That's just a limit put up by many a fan on here. Too many excuses and not enough desire.

I am sick of playing it safe and making excuses. Prior to Bobby Dodd leaving, that attitude would have been comical. Slowly, over the decades since, we've allowed ourselves to get trained/brainwashed into believing we don't belong on the same field as UGA. Given our fight song says otherwise, that's pretty sad.
Not directly aimed just at your comment - yours I read more as “aim high, try again if fails vs settling” vs some comments I’ve seen in various threads like “without a home run hire I quit!”

Cause right now we’re broke. I don’t have a hundred million, so I’m looking for a guy who can at least get *some* excitement and wins to generate some more revenue but hardly expecting to land a whale of a no-doubt proven 10-win guy… cause we can’t demand what we can’t pay for.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There is hope, there is reality, there is insanity. Check out the top programs year in and out and what they spend. You cannot buy a golf game, but you can buy a football program. Ask Clemson.

We are who we are… unless you can find the funds and the extra 500-300k fans to change who we are.

We all want 15 wins a season. The question is what coach can get us there, that wants GT, that we can afford. CPJ is a really great coach (with solid accomplishments to back the great coach statement) that came real cheap. CPJ did not end up at GT, he came to GT. I don’t see another coach out there that fits the same mold of great, cheap, and willing to come to GT (versus ending up at GT)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don’t see another coach out there that fits the same mold of great, cheap, and willing to come to GT (versus ending up at GT)
It's going back 15 years, but do you know WHY CPJ chose to come to Tech? He said it multiple times. It wasn't because of the great academics. It wasn't the location (but that was nice). It wasn't the history of the program. It was one reason. And one reason only.

CPJ was so convinced that his (keyword: "his") flex-bone offense could compete at the highest levels, that he wanted to test it in P5. That's it. "I intend to prove that it can work." It's why he didn't care about defense (much). He said, again multiple times, that if Tech can score 28 points in a ball-control TOP game, Tech wins. Doesn't matter what the defense does. That was his theory of the game.

If you want a coach in a similar mode as CPJ, you have to find someone like an Emory Bellard who is SO COMMITTED to his theory of the game, that all he wants is the blank canvas on which to paint his masterpiece.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
Some people understand our natural limitations. How can we maximize our results while minimizing our weakness. You consistently ignore the larger picture in your obsesive focus on undermining a style of offensive play .

To ignore some of our built in limitations is folly. We could very well compete with UGA, Alabama, Clemson. But we need to give up the idea of students actually taking real classes. The BOR needs to allow us to have different majors AND the Institute needs to want to let the "easy" degrees happen.

But today not only do they have to take a real major, but it has to be a Science based one with harder classes.

We also have huge budget issues that would take a decade of success to slowly grow out of. But the real student thing hurts us.

We need a 10-15 year plan. Not a pick this coach because he has a traditional offense and "Hope" it works out in 2 years and maybe he can recruit 5% better than some other guy.
this ^ has been posted a multitude of times, but some refuse to listen to reason.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
this ^ has been posted a multitude of times, but some refuse to listen to reason.

I acknowledge our limitations (every team has them) are a bit more than the average P5 team.

So I guess we can't overcome hurdles? Just hire a pedestrian coach and be content with .500 record and a few blowout losses? It's the GT way now?

Nevermind other schools with limitations overcome them. Are we that weak and scared to even try? Excuses come easy around here. Can't win, why bother?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I acknowledge our limitations (every team has them) are a bit more than the average P5 team.

So I guess we can't overcome hurdles? Just hire a pedestrian coach and be content with .500 record and a few blowout losses? It's the GT way now?

Nevermind other schools with limitations overcome them. Are we that weak and scared to even try? Excuses come easy around here. Can't win, why bother?
Reality is reality. Have you seen the facilities at Alabama? Tennessee? Georgia? I'm touring the Auburn facility on Friday and it's $100M investment based on input from several NFL teams and Premier teams in Europe. State of the art. The purpose? Not just to Win, but to help SA's see that there is a clear path to the NFL.

We are WAY beyond nice locker rooms and a good education.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

It seems you missed MountainBuzzMan's larger point. He wasn't saying that we can't overcome the hurdles and should settle for a .500 record. I think he was suggesting that we need to take a longer-term approach that doesn't just focus on a traditional scheme.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know about top 10, but it’s about 1/3rd of P5 head coaches who were G5 head coaches first
Post in thread 'Your choice for Head Coach'
https://gtswarm.com/threads/your-choice-for-head-coach.25988/post-912073

Inside the top 10, you have
UGA - coordinator
Ohio State- coordinator
Michigan- NFL coach (Harbaugh)
TCU- G5
Tennessee- G5
Oregon - coordinator
LSU -“P5” (Kelly from ND)
USC - P5 (Riley)
UCLA- NFL (Kelly)
Bama- NFL

So, 3/10 were most recently NFL head coaches, 3/10 were P5 coordinators, 2/10 were P5 head coaches, and 2/10 were G5 head coaches
It takes all kinds.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know about top 10, but it’s about 1/3rd of P5 head coaches who were G5 head coaches first
Post in thread 'Your choice for Head Coach'
https://gtswarm.com/threads/your-choice-for-head-coach.25988/post-912073

Inside the top 10, you have
UGA - coordinator
Ohio State- coordinator
Michigan- NFL coach (Harbaugh)
TCU- G5
Tennessee- G5
Oregon - coordinator
LSU -“P5” (Kelly from ND)
USC - P5 (Riley)
UCLA- NFL (Kelly)
Bama- NFL

So, 3/10 were most recently NFL head coaches, 3/10 were P5 coordinators, 2/10 were P5 head coaches, and 2/10 were G5 head coaches
I do not see position coach in there. Hopefully that would lead ADJB to not consider hiring a position coach as head coach just because the HS coaches like him

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
How did dook recover so quick?.THEY were suppose to be the bottom feeder this yr thought by ALL.

The #1 factor was a piss easy schedule.

Going by RPI they have 6 wins against teams with a triple digit RPI and their best win is against #92 miami. Put it in perspective, we've played just 3 games against those type of teams. They've played 8! games against teams ranked 90 or worse by RPI. They are improved but they aren't nearly as improved as their record would indicate.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
The #1 factor was a piss easy schedule.

Going by RPI they have 6 wins against teams with a triple digit RPI and their best win is against #92 miami. Put it in perspective, we've played just 3 games against those type of teams. They've played 8! games against teams ranked 90 or worse by RPI. They are improved but they aren't nearly as improved as their record would indicate.
We lost to two teams (#92 Da U and #110 UVA) with higher RPI than us and beat VPISU (#145) by one point. The Pitt win is a complete outlier.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
We lost to two teams (#92 Da U and #110 UVA) with higher RPI than us and beat VPISU (#145) by one point. The Pitt win is a complete outlier.
We were playing our 3rd string QB against UVA and Miami. If either Sims or Pyron plays the whole game we win both of those games.

Also if we played Northestern instead of Ole Miss, Temple instead of UCF, and Kansas instead of UGA, we’d probably win 8 games this year too.

We beat Duke straight up with an interim head coach, and some questionable calls late in that game is the only reason it was close. Duke is still not a good team. They’re literally worse than us (we beat them).

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
It seems you missed MountainBuzzMan's larger point. He wasn't saying that we can't overcome the hurdles and should settle for a .500 record. I think he was suggesting that we need to take a longer-term approach that doesn't just focus on a traditional scheme.

I guess I did, but even then, I don't want slow n steady. IF we hire that guy, just when the team is about to turn the corner in year 3 or 4 he'll get canned.

I realize getting an instant-impact HC is tough, either $$$$$ or just pure, blind luck. I can't say with any certainty which possible hire gives us the quickest shot in the arm (we need it), but slow n steady in todays CFB won't get us anywhere but mediocrity.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
How did dook recover so quick?.THEY were suppose to be the bottom feeder this yr thought by ALL.​
An incredibly weak schedule with incredibly bad acc coastal.
102 ranked schedule according to espn

Worse than 100 record according to FEI

ELS: Strength of schedule ratings represent the expected number of losses an elite team two standard deviations better than average would have against each team's schedule to date,
GLS: the expected number of losses a good team one standard deviation above average would have against the schedule to date
ALS: the expected number of losses an average team would have against the schedule to date
ELS
Rk
GLS
Rk
ALS
Rk
.14​
109​
.77​
113​
3.15​
103​

So according to BCF Toys, an average FBS team would have 3 losses with their schedule.

slugboy

Staff member
An incredibly weak schedule with incredibly bad acc coastal.
102 ranked schedule according to espn

Worse than 100 record according to FEI

ELS: Strength of schedule ratings represent the expected number of losses an elite team two standard deviations better than average would have against each team's schedule to date,
GLS: the expected number of losses a good team one standard deviation above average would have against the schedule to date
ALS: the expected number of losses an average team would have against the schedule to date
ELS
Rk
GLS
Rk
ALS
Rk
.14​
109​
.77​
113​
3.15​
103​

So according to BCF Toys, an average FBS team would have 3 losses with their schedule.
On the other hand, they’re playing slightly above average, and we’re playing well below average.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
We were playing our 3rd string QB against UVA and Miami. If either Sims or Pyron plays the whole game we win both of those games.

Also if we played Northestern instead of Ole Miss, Temple instead of UCF, and Kansas instead of UGA, we’d probably win 8 games this year too.

We beat Duke straight up with an interim head coach, and some questionable calls late in that game is the only reason it was close. Duke is still not a good team. They’re literally worse than us (we beat them).
Whatever you tell yourself. Go with it.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
On the other hand, they’re playing slightly above average, and we’re playing well below average.
“Slightly” 😂 That is literally true. I think they look like a well coached team at least and have won the games they were supposed to. Probably a better team than us, but we played very well that game.

slugboy

Staff member
“Slightly” 😂 That is literally true. I think they look like a well coached team at least and have won the games they were supposed to. Probably a better team than us, but we played very well that game.
The median team should be #66 and Duke is probably #53 (I think that’s their FEI rank).

To me, They don’t have any real stars, but they play good basic football.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Whatever you tell yourself. Go with it.
Northwestern: 80 FEI, 95 FPI, 99 Sagarin
Average: 91.33​
Ole Miss: 16 FEI, 15 FPI, 17 Sagarin
Average: 16​
Temple: 109 FEI, 113 FPI, 125 Sagarin
Average: 117.67​
UCF: 18 FEI, 21 FPI, 27 Sagarin
Average: 22​
Kansas: 39 FEI, 48 FPI, 44 Sagarin
Average: 43.67​
Georgia: 1 FEI, 1 FPI, 1 Sagarin
Average: 1​
What exactly could I be telling myself? The best OOC team Duke has played is 20 spots lower than the worst OOC game Tech has played. Not to mention they lost that game to Kansas too. Duke would’ve gotten steamrolled by our schedule the same way we have. Not to mention they dodged Clemson and Florida State out of the Atlantic, and instead got Wake Forest and Boston College. I could breakdown how much better Clemson and FSU are than WF & BC by the numbers too, but what’s the point? Duke has played solid football, and they’ve won 7 games, good for them. But every team on their schedule has been a cupcake, and they lost to us anyway, so who gives a damn about Duke? Elko will be a fine coach for them. If they keep playing high school teams every year they’ll keep winning 6-8 games I guess.