GT looking at coordinators as head coaches

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT is considering some coordinators as head coach.

Question, how are the famed Clemson coordinators doing as head coaches?

slugboy

Staff member

200.gif

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Not so hot at the moment, but plenty of coordinators have become head coaches and done well, so a couple of cherry-picked examples don't mean much.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Who cares how Clemson coordinators are doing as head coaches?
Who cares…

See, when a college and a coach comes together and they love each other very much, they make a football team. That team will either grow up to win or loose. The DNA of the college and the coach play a role in the outcome.

GT is considering hiring coordinators as the coach. Were you excited over the Collins hire?

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Who cares…

See, when a college and a coach comes together and they love each other very much, they make a football team. That team will either grow up to win or loose. The DNA of the college and the coach play a role in the outcome.

GT is considering hiring coordinators as the coach. Were you excited over the Collins hire?
How the hell does the performance of Clemson coordinators matter in terms of our coach? Kirby Smart is a damn good coach so hire Alabama coordinators?

What the hell does Collins have to do with hiring a Clemson coordinator?

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I am moving toward the belief that Brent Key should be retained as our next Head Coach. I think he has done well with the situation he was handed post-Collins. One key aspect that has me thinking in that direction, is the emergence of our young quarterback, Zack Pyron. Zack and Brent are basically from the same place in Alabama and Brent was heavily involved in Zack's recruiting. There just seems to be a chemistry and synergy that is becoming more and more prevalent as this season moves forward there. Quarterbacks make or break college football programs and I think we have a special one.

If a new guy takes the reigns it is going to take 3 to 5 years to determine if he is the right guy or not, regardless of who it is. One thing about Key is you know he loves Georgia Tech and he will give it his very best effort to make the program the best it can be. He has a good relationship in the State of Georgia with the High School coaches. He has existing relationships with the current players and knows our current needs. I think he could put together a good staff and recruit well.

Go Jackets!

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow

Are you specifically referring to Venables and Elliot? If so, I think I’d give them more than 9 games to install their vision and philosophies. And didn’t Elliot come to ATL and beat us this year!?

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow

Are you specifically referring to Venables and Elliot? If so, I think I’d give them more than 9 games to install their vision and philosophies. And didn’t Elliot come to ATL and beat us this year?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Are you specifically referring to Venables and Elliot? If so, I think I’d give them more than 9 games to install their vision and philosophies. And didn’t Elliot come to ATL and beat us this year?
I agree… more time is needed. On beating GT, if two clowns get in a fight, one clown wins.

There are successful coordinators to head coach. But thinking we are going to hire an Alabama OC and be just like UGA hunting for the title yearly is clownish, unless the major dollars start flowing in and the school/Board of Regents gets 1000% on board.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
But thinking we are going to hire an Alabama OC and be just like UGA hunting for the title yearly is clownish, unless the major dollars start flowing in and the school/Board of Regents gets 1000% on board.

I confess to not reading every single post buy I have to ask....who in the hell thinks that? I haven't seen anyone here or amongst my GT buddies say or even imply such a thing. Are you responding to anybody specifically? I think the vision amongst my group of friends is to get to a Gailey level of competitiveness with a few of Johnson's outlier years. I think this would satisfy 98% of our fan base.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I confess to not reading every single post buy I have to ask....who in the hell thinks that? I haven't seen anyone here or amongst my GT buddies say or even imply such a thing. Are you responding to anybody specifically? I think the vision amongst my group of friends is to get to a Gailey level of competitiveness with a few of Johnson's outlier years. I think this would satisfy 98% of our fan base.
This whole thread is like a drunken rant where he wants everyone to defend something they aren't even saying.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I am moving toward the belief that Brent Key should be retained as our next Head Coach. I think he has done well with the situation he was handed post-Collins. One key aspect that has me thinking in that direction, is the emergence of our young quarterback, Zack Pyron. Zack and Brent are basically from the same place in Alabama and Brent was heavily involved in Zack's recruiting. There just seems to be a chemistry and synergy that is becoming more and more prevalent as this season moves forward there. Quarterbacks make or break college football programs and I think we have a special one.

If a new guy takes the reigns it is going to take 3 to 5 years to determine if he is the right guy or not, regardless of who it is. One thing about Key is you know he loves Georgia Tech and he will give it his very best effort to make the program the best it can be. He has a good relationship in the State of Georgia with the High School coaches. He has existing relationships with the current players and knows our current needs. I think he could put together a good staff and recruit well.

Go Jackets!
I can see it. A lot is riding on the next two games.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
UGA hired Bama’s DC.
Ohio State promoted their OC from within.
Dan Lanning (Oregon) was UGA’s DC.
Sure, I'm just looking for a point of reference. What percentage of top 10 or top 25 p5 coaches came from a p5 coordinator position vs g5 hc?

Last edited: