GT in the NIT

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Also from the article:

APTOPIX%20NIT%20Houston%20Georgia.jpg

Georgia Tech guard (5) Corey Heyward and the bench react as he hits a 3-pointer near the end of the game against Houston in NCAA college basketball matchup in the first round of the NIT, Wednesday, March 16, 2016, in Atlanta. Georgia Tech won 81-62. (Curtis Compton/Atlanta Journal Constitution via AP) Curtis ComptonAP

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
They looked good against a bad team which is something we haven't really done in recent years so that's a plus. Let's see how we to against SC. Luckily there's not an Upstate appended to the end of their name.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
So am I interpreting this right? http://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/external/gametool/brackets/2016_nit_bracket.pdf

We play 9pm Monday night in Columbia, SC.

If we win we play Wednesday @ San Diego State or Washington?

If so that's brutal.

That is the way I read it also. It is brutal either way. If we win, it is a terrible trip, but at least we are going West (and gaining a few hours). If we lose, one of those West coast teams have to come to Columbia. It seems odd that they would not schedule another day or two in between.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That's correct Cuse. I'll worry about the first one though.
Game in Columbia should be a war. Martin's teams's are very physical. I will not expect them to shoot 60 % for the game though like they did against High Point. Their 2 starting bigs combined to go 20-22 from the field. Hopefully we can put up a little ,ore resistance than that.

With the suspensions they basically have their top 6 players and then they have to go to deep bench. That was fine against High Point (who was apparently without their best player), but maybe we can wear them down a little more. I am expecting a very physical game. Their center is big, but their PF is not as large. Their perimeter players are all good sized. Alot of 6'5 type players on their roster.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
We ran a set offensively a few times tonight that has hurt us several times this year on defense - the pick and roll. It was effective tonight (specifically on Charles' dunk), and I assume that was a point of emphasis in practice this week as I haven't seen it much at all this year. Also of note, a great job by James White with a couple nice passes inside leading to easy buckets. We abused them on the glass in the second half - overall a really nice effort from the group. Looked like the group played looser tonight than they did in the reg season - hopefully this effort carries over to Monday in Columbia.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
That's correct Cuse. I'll worry about the first one though.
Game in Columbia should be a war. Martin's teams's are very physical. I will not expect them to shoot 60 % for the game though like they did against High Point....

Yeah I watched a lot of that game. High Point was lighting it up at the end of first half but with the way both teams were passing and moving around honestly I had this thought: Damn we can't play with either one of these teams!

Glad our guys showed what they're really capable of last night.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
They looked good against a bad team which is something we haven't really done in recent years so that's a plus. Let's see how we to against SC. Luckily there's not an Upstate appended to the end of their name.

I wouldn't necessarily call them a bad team. They lead their conference in scoring and finished the season with back to back wins over Cincinnati and Uconn. Also have wins over SMU and LSU (and if you want to include other NCAA teams Temple and Tulsa).

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Honestly, based on looking at their record and their Nitty Gritty report I would expect a close game on Monday. If it was in Atlanta i'd probably favor GT, in Columbia you favor SC.
Their RPI is 65 (GT is 69), Kenpom 49 (GT 57).
They have a great road win over A&M, but all their other wins are at home.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
You're comfortable with the MEAC and Southern Conference being multi-bid conference?

Yes. Regular season champs should not be snubbed. That's ridiculous. They added four extra teams a couple years back...it's easily justifiable.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The travel would definitely be brutal...the seeding in this tournament is a bit odd. So if we're a 4 seed, then are they saying there are at least 12 other teams (perhaps 15) that were in better shape to make the NCAA tournament than us? That just seems odd. I would have thought we'd have been a 2 or a 3 seed.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes. Regular season champs should not be snubbed. That's ridiculous. They added four extra teams a couple years back...it's easily justifiable.
I don't like this at all. You can choose either reg season champs or conf champs (my preference) - but not both. If that were the case you would have a 17-13 Bucknell team in the tourney along with a 14-19 Holy Cross team. No thanks.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
What if, for the small conference schools, the winner of the regular season gets a bye into the finals and plays the winner of the conference tournament?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Didn't get to see game but it is SO nice to have a positive feeling about the bball team for a change.Hearing comments from opponent coaches like--"we just couldn't handle them or him,etc" is so different.Also ,we know we can be competitive with almost ANY team is really a change..
Too bad ,this yr is where it ends.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I respectfully disagree. You would then be watering down a quality product.

If you expand the field you have DAYS of the "First four" and we all saw what classic matchups those were this year.

To keep the field the same and include Reg Season Champs and CT champs is ridiculous, you would not have the 64 best teams playing for the title. I tend to think the Reg Season champ should get the auto bid but then it makes the CT less meaningful. Unless you promote the NIT a bit more and let the CTC get the autobid to that.

You start letting everyone in it just dilutes the greatest sporting event of the year, and that is unacceptable. I think 68 is ridiculous. It should be 64.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
We already don't have the best 68 teams competing in the NCAA tournament. It's roughly the best 45-50 plus small conference champions who only make it because of auto-bids.