GT Hoops General Topics

slugboy

Staff member
I am not sure what is meant by super team. Was GS not a super team with Curry, KD, Green, and Thompson? They won in 2015, 2017, 2018, and 2022. I know, KD was only there for two of those championships.
I’d say they were with Durant, even though it was still the other guys stirring the drink (imho)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure what is meant by super team. Was GS not a super team with Curry, KD, Green, and Thompson? They won in 2015, 2017, 2018, and 2022. I know, KD was only there for two of those championships.

I wouldn't consider the non KD teams a super team. IMO when most people talk about superteams they are talking about guys who are or could be legit number one options on teams. Curry obviously is. Draymond never has been, and IMO Klay isn't that level either. To me they are more like the Spurs with a generational player in a great system with other good players all of whom fit the system very well.

Of course I largely think the entire superteam narrative is mostly BS. It's pretty much always been the case that teams that had the most success usually also had a generational type of player. Since MJ retired, 18 of the 25 championships have been won by teams that have had either Kobe, Duncan, Lebron, or Curry. Go back 8 years and it's 24 of 33 that have those 4 or MJ. Before that you can throw in Magic to keep the same trend. And the vast majority (maybe all...) of those teams had great supporting casts as well. IMO the superteam narrative started more as a reaction over a change in how teams came to be constructed where players had a larger role in the process rather than the actual construction of the rosters.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I’m thrilled Denver won the title. There were a couple years there where you could predict the final four of the NBA relatively easily and that sucked. Whoever said I don’t watch much NBA is absolutely correct. The shot making ability is at the highest level but there is just no……..passion?

This is what scares me the most about NIL and transfer rules. You’re giving these players a wide open gate to mercenary mentality and that equates the death of program pride for me. UCLA AND USC ARE IN THE B1G!!!! Texas and Oklahoma are no longer in the Big XII!!! These people are murdering college sports and no one gives a crap. I hate it…

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I’m thrilled Denver won the title. There were a couple years there where you could predict the final four of the NBA relatively easily and that sucked. Whoever said I don’t watch much NBA is absolutely correct. The shot making ability is at the highest level but there is just no……..passion?

This is what scares me the most about NIL and transfer rules. You’re giving these players a wide open gate to mercenary mentality and that equates the death of program pride for me. UCLA AND USC ARE IN THE B1G!!!! Texas and Oklahoma are no longer in the Big XII!!! These people are murdering college sports and no one gives a crap. I hate it…
Peac.. pour be a double brother, because I am with you on this point.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

My guy, if you see no passion, you're not watching. There are certainly guys there that only play because they happen to be good at it but they typically don't succeed enough to be relevant enough to watch anyways.

And college sports and 'program pride' were dead long before NIL. Sadly. College sports have been semi-pro leagues for a long, long time. Most of us suspend disbelief just to enjoy them as much as is still possible.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Making it to the NBA is the best incentive in the world for producing entertaining basketball. That is why college is so great.

seedjckt

Georgia Tech Fan
Player, Jersey #
———————-
Terry, #0
Sturdivant, #1
Coleman, #3
Murphy, #4
Gapare, #5
Dowuona, #10
Ndongo, #11
Claude, #12