GT Hoops General Topics

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I don't typically come into the basketball forum as I don't have much interest and have only watched a handful of Tech games in my life, but I just saw Damon Stoudamire's name linked to the woman in the Mel Tucker-Michigan State situation. It sounded like his involvement was while he was at Pacific, but I sure hope Batt is doubling down with stressing what is acceptable and not with him. Don't want any of that cloud around Tech.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't typically come into the basketball forum as I don't have much interest and have only watched a handful of Tech games in my life, but I just saw Damon Stoudamire's name linked to the woman in the Mel Tucker-Michigan State situation. It sounded like his involvement was while he was at Pacific, but I sure hope Batt is doubling down with stressing what is acceptable and not with him. Don't want any of that cloud around Tech.

Providing a link for folks to read about it themselves ....
https://www.lansingstatejournal.com...harassment-hearing-text-messages/71069043007/

I wouldnt leave it at "Stoudamire has been linked" because that could be taken to mean he's done something wrong. From what I read, he has not.

Sounds like he was dating this woman and, during that relationship, she came and spoke to his team at Pacific. That's it.

Smells like Tucker and his legal team are suggesting his situation was the same. Basically dragging Stoudamire's name into it regardless of the facts.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Providing a link for folks to read about it themselves ....
https://www.lansingstatejournal.com...harassment-hearing-text-messages/71069043007/

I wouldnt leave it at "Stoudamire has been linked" because that could be taken to mean he's done something wrong. From what I read, he has not.

Sounds like he was dating this woman and, during that relationship, she came and spoke to his team at Pacific. That's it.

Smells like Tucker and his legal team are suggesting his situation was the same. Basically dragging Stoudamire's name into it regardless of the facts.
I mean, the relationship between a school employee and a vendor is an ethical issue and what Tucker was fired for, not because of what he did on the phone call, so from what is claimed in the article, Stoudamire would definitely be in a grey area for doing what sounds like a similar thing. Did he inform the university when he wished to begin the relationship? Was she a vendor before or after the relationship began? He may have handled everything 100% the correct way, we don't really know, but it's a dangerous pool to even wade into.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Maybe they dated and maybe they didn't. I know of situations where one party considered a dinner out as a date and the other did not. People do not have to be romantically involved to eat dinner together.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
People do not have to be romantically involved to eat dinner together.
I have this problem with Mrs. Relict frequently.

george lopez dinner GIF by TV Land

slugboy

Staff member
I haven’t made a study of this case. My understanding is
  • Mel Tucker was fired for sexual harassment and making false statements
  • Brenda Tracy has accused Tucker
  • I’ve seen no one other than Tucker accused
There’s a USA Today article

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

My bad @yeti92 I totally missed your post before this evening.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I haven’t made a study of this case. My understanding is
  • Mel Tucker was fired for sexual harassment and making false statements
  • Brenda Tracy has accused Tucker
  • I’ve seen no one other than Tucker accused
There’s a USA Today article
Everything I have seen indicates he was fired for the inappropriate relationship, which he has freely admitted to having, and harming the reputation of Michigan State in all this. He was under investigation for sexual misconduct, but the bottom line was he never should have been having a relationship with a vendor in the first place. Not a perfect analogy, but it's like arguing you were driving the speed limit when you don't have a license to begin with.

In a statement, the university said it had terminated Tucker's contract "for his admitted and undisputed behaviors which have brought public disrespect, contempt and ridicule upon the university; and constitute a material breach of his agreement, and moral turpitude."

Haller claimed in the letter that the school had "amassed a body of undisputed evidence of misconduct that warrants termination for cause."

"Simply put, Mr. Tucker's response does not provide any information that refutes or undermines the multiple grounds for termination for cause set forth in the notice," Haller said in a statement Wednesday. "Instead, his 25-page response, which includes a 12-page letter from his attorney and a 13-page 'expert report,' provides a litany of excuses for his inappropriate behavior while expressly admitting to the problematic conduct outlined in the notice."

His lawyers are doing anything they can to muddy the waters as to whether it was sexual assault and the woman is credible, which is not surpising given the money at stake, but that really only matters for the school's investigation and trial of the sexual assault Ultimately for Tucker though, getting fired for having a relationship he wasnt supposed to but was otherwise consensual vs getting deemed to have committed sexual assault, even if not by a real court, will have a massive effect on if, where, and when he gets hired again.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
This seems like a minor issue that won't be nearly as bad as Pastner's. It seems the relationship was consensual so nothing illegal happened.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I swear to god, if this ends up doing the same number that was done on Pastner I really will have to quit watching Tech sports. Between this and the “fire Key” crowd in football I’m just not getting anything positive out of being a fan.

Just focus on the positive aspects of GT sports. We have a few which you know well.

I keep trying. Basketball has the highest ceiling right now I think.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I am confused about Yeti's line of thinking here:

Having a relationship with a vendor = inappropriate relationship = sexual assault?

Coaches can't have private relationships without it being inappropriate? Gt can potentially be humiliated by a relationship that Damon Stoudamire had 5 years before being Gt employee? Yeah, I don't get it.

The cutting edge of any of this is sexual assault. Was there sexual assault? The rest is merely tasteless gossipy fluff.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I am confused about Yeti's line of thinking here:

Having a relationship with a vendor = inappropriate relationship = sexual assault?

Coaches can't have private relationships without it being inappropriate? Gt can potentially be humiliated by a relationship that Damon Stoudamire had 5 years before being Gt employee? Yeah, I don't get it.

The cutting edge of any of this is sexual assault. Was there sexual assault? The rest is merely tasteless gossipy fluff.

I mean, I'd agree with you maybe 15/20 years ago.

Not so sure in the current climate.