GT Hoops General Topics

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
However it leaves the door open for someone like Maxwell or Kelly to get some playing time as an off ball guard they may not have otherwise gotten as I don't know how well either Sturdivant or Smith will be other than as a primary PG.
Fully agree with this assessment. Maxwell should get the first shot as he has been in the program for 2 full seasons thus should understand the requirements i.e. strong defensive play, to get on the floor. This may be his last chance to become a part of the playing rotation. If Kelly is willing to play defense, he could get the opportunity. If either can also live up to their reputation as a 3 point sniper, it gives CJP great shooting options off the bench.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
Fully agree with this assessment. Maxwell should get the first shot as he has been in the program for 2 full seasons thus should understand the requirements i.e. strong defensive play, to get on the floor. This may be his last chance to become a part of the playing rotation. If Kelly is willing to play defense, he could get the opportunity. If either can also live up to their reputation as a 3 point sniper, it gives CJP great shooting options off the bench.
From a medical web site below - recovery time from meniscus surgery ... it all depends how severe the injury was. Parham could be back by January, or not at all during the sesason. The article in AJC says he did have surgery - so injury was severe enough that rest was likely not the best option. Agree with others that this opens up time for the newcomers (and Maxwell) early in the season.

Generally you will be able to return to normal activities and sports approximately 6 weeks after a partial meniscectomy and 3-4 months after a meniscal repair or replacement.

bob4gt

Jolly Good Fellow
I had about 40% of my meniscus removed when I was 45. I was playing softball a month later. Removal is not good long term (some bone on bone) so maybe an athlete would have a replacement. I quit tennis and volleyball after my surgery (hurt too much the following day), but played softball for another 15 years.

Hopefully, Bubba's surgery was minor.

Bob

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Following up on this are 30 under the radar transfers

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I was bored so I decided to look at how our ACC schedule was set up. I'll put my predicted wins in bold.

UNC - Dec 5th. Early season match up where both teams are likely trying to figure exactly what is going on. I would really like to have Bubba for this game as I think his experience would really help in putting pressure on their back court, At home though I like our chances.
@Cuse - Dec 29th. First real road test and the real start of sustained ACC play. I think we could win but I can't predict it as we no longer have Moses to go off against them.
UL - Jan 1 Gotta have this one. If we can stay around .500 for the early portion of our schedule while the team can gel it would go a long ways. Very tough but winnable game.
@Duke - Jan 4th - First of two tuesday games after saturday games. On the road. @ Duke. Yeah.
ND - Jan 8th - dangerous game as they return a lot, but I like our chances at home.
@BC - Jan 12th Gotta have this one. BC should struggle this year even if I think they could be better than some expect, this is a road win we gotta have.
@UNC - Jan 15th - Same match up of back court vs front court strengths in my eyes. I'm an optimist and calling for our biggest upset of the year here.
Wake - Jan 19th - I think they'll be better than last year but they have a lot of new faces and at home I think we win.
FSU - Jan 26th - I'm predicting an L here for two reasons. I'm not convinced we go undefeated at home. The rep that FSU has gotten the last couple of years. I think we could win, but I'm not predicting it.
Miami - jan 29th Dangerous game as they will have a good back court with Wong, McGusty, and 8th year 17th university player Charlie Moore. Yes the same one many thought would follow Pastner here. In some ways they are similar to us as they have big ?s down low. I give us the edge at home.
@VT - Feb 2nd - I want to believe they are overrated and we get a big win like last year. Unfortunately I don't see it.
Clemson - Feb 5th - Clemson will be solid. Not great. Not bad. By this point in the season we should beat them at home.
@Miami - Feb 9th - I think we certainly could win. But I gave us the edge at home, and am doing the same for them now.
@UVA - Feb 12th - avoiding back to back losses is a big part of being a good team. Unfortunately I think we pick a second loss in a row up here. I just can't predict us winning at their place right now.
NCSU - Feb 15th much like Clemson, Miami, ND at home this is a dangerous game I could see losing. I give us the edge at home, but I wouldn't be surprised with a loss. This is the other tuesday game after saturday game.
@Pitt - Feb 19th Pitt had a rough offseason for sure. This late in the year teams could be very different than at the beginning but I think we get a nice road win here.
VT - Feb 23rd - I do think VT is overrated slightly and by this point won't be quite as highly thought of by most. They'll still be a good team, but I think at home, after we get a chance to gel, we win.
@ND - Feb 26th - I think ND is going to be good. On the road will be too hard IMO.
@Clemson - Mar 2nd - I'm predicting we've hit our stride and ore in the midst of a late season surge like previous years.
BC - Mar 5th - Same story as before.

So that would be 13 - 7 in conference play. That is nearly identical in terms of win % as last year but we have a much more favorable schedule IMO. Playing UVA, FSU, and Duke just once each should help some and getting games like UNC, ND and UL at home early could help ease a bit of the learning curve for some of our young players. I'm expecting some rocking home crowds after last year. Bias is almost guaranteed as I gave us the benefit of the doubt on many games I view as more of a toss up than I would like, but oh well. Let fans of other teams doubt us. Keep in mind while 13-7 is really good, it would have still been 5th two years ago with the standard 20 game schedule for all. So while it is on the homerish side of things, I don't think that is that outlandish.

Along with the OOC that would give my prediction to be 23 - 8.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I was bored so I decided to look at how our ACC schedule was set up. I'll put my predicted wins in bold.

UNC - Dec 5th. Early season match up where both teams are likely trying to figure exactly what is going on. I would really like to have Bubba for this game as I think his experience would really help in putting pressure on their back court, At home though I like our chances.
@Cuse - Dec 29th. First real road test and the real start of sustained ACC play. I think we could win but I can't predict it as we no longer have Moses to go off against them.
UL - Jan 1 Gotta have this one. If we can stay around .500 for the early portion of our schedule while the team can gel it would go a long ways. Very tough but winnable game.
@Duke - Jan 4th - First of two tuesday games after saturday games. On the road. @ Duke. Yeah.
ND - Jan 8th - dangerous game as they return a lot, but I like our chances at home.
@BC - Jan 12th Gotta have this one. BC should struggle this year even if I think they could be better than some expect, this is a road win we gotta have.
@UNC - Jan 15th - Same match up of back court vs front court strengths in my eyes. I'm an optimist and calling for our biggest upset of the year here.
Wake - Jan 19th - I think they'll be better than last year but they have a lot of new faces and at home I think we win.
FSU - Jan 26th - I'm predicting an L here for two reasons. I'm not convinced we go undefeated at home. The rep that FSU has gotten the last couple of years. I think we could win, but I'm not predicting it.
Miami - jan 29th Dangerous game as they will have a good back court with Wong, McGusty, and 8th year 17th university player Charlie Moore. Yes the same one many thought would follow Pastner here. In some ways they are similar to us as they have big ?s down low. I give us the edge at home.
@VT - Feb 2nd - I want to believe they are overrated and we get a big win like last year. Unfortunately I don't see it.
Clemson - Feb 5th - Clemson will be solid. Not great. Not bad. By this point in the season we should beat them at home.
@Miami - Feb 9th - I think we certainly could win. But I gave us the edge at home, and am doing the same for them now.
@UVA - Feb 12th - avoiding back to back losses is a big part of being a good team. Unfortunately I think we pick a second loss in a row up here. I just can't predict us winning at their place right now.
NCSU - Feb 15th much like Clemson, Miami, ND at home this is a dangerous game I could see losing. I give us the edge at home, but I wouldn't be surprised with a loss. This is the other tuesday game after saturday game.
@Pitt - Feb 19th Pitt had a rough offseason for sure. This late in the year teams could be very different than at the beginning but I think we get a nice road win here.
VT - Feb 23rd - I do think VT is overrated slightly and by this point won't be quite as highly thought of by most. They'll still be a good team, but I think at home, after we get a chance to gel, we win.
@ND - Feb 26th - I think ND is going to be good. On the road will be too hard IMO.
@Clemson - Mar 2nd - I'm predicting we've hit our stride and ore in the midst of a late season surge like previous years.
BC - Mar 5th - Same story as before.

So that would be 13 - 7 in conference play. That is nearly identical in terms of win % as last year but we have a much more favorable schedule IMO. Playing UVA, FSU, and Duke just once each should help some and getting games like UNC, ND and UL at home early could help ease a bit of the learning curve for some of our young players. I'm expecting some rocking home crowds after last year. Bias is almost guaranteed as I gave us the benefit of the doubt on many games I view as more of a toss up than I would like, but oh well. Let fans of other teams doubt us. Keep in mind while 13-7 is really good, it would have still been 5th two years ago with the standard 20 game schedule for all. So while it is on the homerish side of things, I don't think that is that outlandish.

Along with the OOC that would give my prediction to be 23 - 8.
This is not entirely crazy, but optimistic. I want to see how we and other ACC teams fare in the OOC games before making any bold predictions.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The ACC is still a better basketball league than it is football. IMHO. After Christmas we have 19 straight conference games. Hopefully, the Point is solidified by then. The Post, well, I still imagine our most effective lineup will be small.

Floor is 6-8 league wins; Ceiling is 9-11. Definitely see a winning overall record, although I don’t underestimate the losses of Moses and Jose. If Tech can tally 17-18 wins, I’ll be happy; 19 or above, absolutely thrilled.

slugboy

Staff member
The good news is that teams like Miami, Notre Dame, and possibly some schools like VT are weaker than they were three years ago. They aren’t sure wins, but at least we have a good shot to be favored. I won’t know until I see how the players other than Usher and Devoe play.
With just 5 starters in basketball, there are so many years where you’ll lose key players—maybe even more years than not. We got hit hard and lost a ton of production. Moses and Jose scored 32.6 points/game out of the team’s 71.8 (nearly 46%). They had 4.3 steals/game out of 9 for the team (GT was 1st in the conference, and again they’re nearly half of that). We had 3.6 blocks/game, and Moses was 1.6 of that. They were 6.4 assists/game out of our 15.9 (thanks Devoe and Usher there). We had 6.6 offensive rebounds per game (really low) and Moses and Jose were 3.9 of that.
We leaned heavily on four players for our offense last year, and half are gone. Even if Jose and Moses had come back, we’d still have wanted a 5th player to step up to make us a strong contender and balance the load. Also, Bubba is out for an indeterminate amount of time. Just to backfill, we need three players to step up, and we could use four or more to elevate their games this year, or have the three freshmen and one transfer come in hot. We have a lot of players that we could get game from, but we have a lot of holes to fill. It’s kind of like a poker hand where you have a pair of kings and have to draw cards—something good could happen, but if it doesn’t then you probably don’t have enough. I think that’s one of the reasons why Pastner is talking about playing a deep bench this year.
I’ll also be happy if we can notch 17 or 18 wins.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
With just 5 starters in basketball, there are so many years where you’ll lose key players—maybe even more years than not. We got hit hard and lost a ton of production. Moses and Jose scored 32.6 points/game out of the team’s 71.8 (nearly 46%). They had 4.3 steals/game out of 9 for the team (GT was 1st in the conference, and again they’re nearly half of that). We had 3.6 blocks/game, and Moses was 1.6 of that. They were 6.4 assists/game out of our 15.9 (thanks Devoe and Usher there). We had 6.6 offensive rebounds per game (really low) and Moses and Jose were 3.9 of that.

UVA lost nearly 59% of their points.
FSU lost over 55% of their points.
VT (who is talked up about how much they return) still lost 35% of their scoring
Clemson lost nearly 44%.

Yes, losing Jose and Moses hurts. But we return all but two players from our rotation last year and while those two players were great players, we are still returning a lot more than you are seeing.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Sam Vecenie of The Athletic just released his first big board for the 2022 draft. He currently has Mike Devoe at #86.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Anybody want to buy a single Callaway Club for Stetson this Friday? Unlimited beer and wine and a really nice buffet (can post the menu if you're interested). Will let it go for $40.

Last edited: