GT Hoops General Topics

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Brian Gregory so ran the GT program into the ground that he caused Hewitt to have 3 losing seasons in his last 4 years at Tech and a losing record at George Mason.

Not that I'm arguing Hewitt was coach K or something, but at least he did make the NCAAT about 50% of the time. In the 8 years since, assuming about this year, we haven't made it once. Hewitt certainly had his issues but there is a pretty good case that we'd probably have been better off with him than what we got after him. Probably by a good but when it comes to gregory.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Not that I'm arguing Hewitt was coach K or something, but at least he did make the NCAAT about 50% of the time. In the 8 years since, assuming about this year, we haven't made it once. Hewitt certainly had his issues but there is a pretty good case that we'd probably have been better off with him than what we got after him. Probably by a good but when it comes to gregory.

Yep at least we were getting elite NBA prospects under Hewitt. Now we’re at the bottom of the conference in terms of talent.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, I think losing and looking sloppy with NBA talent is worse than just not having enuf talent

The more talent though, the better the chance to luck into a dream season. Even when Pastner and Gregory’s teams peaked, they made the NIT.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, I think losing and looking sloppy with NBA talent is worse than just not having enuf talent

I'd rather make the NCAAT than not. Give me the choice of a coach and a team that should win the championship but gets knocked out in the round of 32 vs a coach and a team that should win 3 games but wins 8 instead and I'll take situation 1 every single time.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The more talent though, the better the chance to luck into a dream season. Even when Pastner and Gregory’s teams peaked, they made the NIT.

That claim assumes ability to use and get the most from talent is equal.

No rational sports fan accepts that assumption.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

Hewitt went 3 out of the first five years, plus an NIT appearance. The first Five Year Plan was good. People who don't like Hewitt generally try to distort this period as lucky or some other thing. I don't think that is fair or accurate.

The problem was the second Five Year Plan, the Plan of the Long and Lean, that lasted six years with two tournament teams. The first plan was not coming back.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Hewitt went 3 out of the first five years, plus an NIT appearance. The first Five Year Plan was good. People who don't like Hewitt generally try to distort this period as lucky or some other thing. I don't think that is fair or accurate.

The problem was the second Five Year Plan, the Plan of the Long and Lean, that lasted six years with two tournament teams. The first plan was not coming back.

Fwiw, I don't know anyone who thinks the first period was lucky.

Usually, it is attributed to assistant coaches and the lack of the full implementation of APR. We did lose scholarships for a bit.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Under Gregory the team didn't have talent and looked sloppy. 28 points vs Virginia. The best that Gregory could do was a late season run to get into the NIT.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, I don't know anyone who thinks the first period was lucky.

Usually, it is attributed to assistant coaches and the lack of the full implementation of APR. We did lose scholarships for a bit.

I've heard it plenty of times. Consider yourself lucky. It is usually accompanied with the one time over .500 during the ACC regular season, ignoring that GT was within one game of .500 in conference play (1 game under, .500, or 1 game over) every year for the first Five Year Plan. That was in some really tough conference seasons. Actually, through the entire 11 years GT was within a game of .500 8 out of 11 years.

Gregory did that once (as with most Gregorian things, he of course did the bare minimum that one time). Pastner did it his first year.

Just to be clear, so as not to stir up the dudes who really hate Hewitt, it wasn't going to get any better. I just like to clarify that he did some good things early on and those good years and those players' accomplishments should be appreciated and remembered fondly.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I'm not arguing that Hewitt shouldn't have been let go. He should have. I'm arguing that Hewitt gets a disproportionate amount of hate thrown his wade considering even his worse years were better than his successor's best. I believe that you can take Hewitt's worst 5 years and together they are still better than gregory's total 5 years. Not worst 5 year stretch, but literally Hewitt's worst 5 years. 25-55 in conference for Hewitt's worst 5 vs 27-61 for Gregory's 5 total. Think about it. You cannot cherry pick 5 of Hewitt's ACC seasons that would together be worse than the 5 that gregory was here for. COnsider what you just wrote. The last 6 years Hewitt went to 2 NCAAT. That sounds bad, until you realize that is still twice more than we have in the 8 years since he left.

Also, this isn't really so much a defend Hewitt thing. It's more than gregory doesn't get near the level of hate he should for what he did to our program. I wouldn't agree that Hewitt got unfairly canned, but I think it's more than true to say that gregory drove our program into the ground.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm not arguing that Hewitt shouldn't have been let go. He should have. I'm arguing that Hewitt gets a disproportionate amount of hate thrown his wade considering even his worse years were better than his successor's best. I believe that you can take Hewitt's worst 5 years and together they are still better than gregory's total 5 years. Not worst 5 year stretch, but literally Hewitt's worst 5 years. 25-55 in conference for Hewitt's worst 5 vs 27-61 for Gregory's 5 total. Think about it. You cannot cherry pick 5 of Hewitt's ACC seasons that would together be worse than the 5 that gregory was here for. COnsider what you just wrote. The last 6 years Hewitt went to 2 NCAAT. That sounds bad, until you realize that is still twice more than we have in the 8 years since he left.

Also, this isn't really so much a defend Hewitt thing. It's more than gregory doesn't get near the level of hate he should for what he did to our program. I wouldn't agree that Hewitt got unfairly canned, but I think it's more than true to say that gregory drove our program into the ground.

I'm not sure who you are arguing with.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I've heard it plenty of times. Consider yourself lucky. It is usually accompanied with the one time over .500 during the ACC regular season, ignoring that GT was within one game of .500 in conference play (1 game under, .500, or 1 game over) every year for the first Five Year Plan. That was in some really tough conference seasons. Actually, through the entire 11 years GT was within a game of .500 8 out of 11 years.

Gregory did that once (as with most Gregorian things, he of course did the bare minimum that one time). Pastner did it his first year.

Just to be clear, so as not to stir up the dudes who really hate Hewitt, it wasn't going to get any better. I just like to clarify that he did some good things early on and those good years and those players' accomplishments should be appreciated and remembered fondly.

First of all, I want to apologize for stepping in to a conversation unwittingly. I did not see the post to which you were responding (due to a forum feature used to protect my sanity).

Secondly, I respect that we may have had different experiences with respect to fan reaction to CPH.

Can we agree that the team performance on the court over his last several years was beneath what we should've expected?

Fwiw, I was not a fan of the Gregory hire or what he put on the court either.