GT Hoops General Topics

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Honestly, based on who we (think) was actually in the running, Gregs, Wojick and Mooney, Gregs was probably the best option ... and he was a terribad hire.

It was a true, true AD fail all the way around.

When I feel bad about our situation, I look to see what Richmond is doing and I remember we basically got Mooney a lifetime deal from them. Yikes

slugboy

Staff member
Honestly, based on who we (think) was actually in the running, Gregs, Wojick and Mooney, Gregs was probably the best option ... and he was a terribad hire.

It was a true, true AD fail all the way around.

When I feel bad about our situation, I look to see what Richmond is doing and I remember we basically got Mooney a lifetime deal from them. Yikes

Ironic, since an existing lifetime deal was why we didn’t outbid Richmond

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Braine gave Hewitt the contract.

You overestimate the power of the AD and underestimate the power of the President--although Clough deferred to Braine (and Radakovich) unless big money donors became involved--which didn't happen with basketball decisions. The GTAA Board approved the Hewitt contract. Some of those folks are still on the Board--and are put there by the President. (A buddy of mine was giving a guy a hard time while we were tailgating this fall--then he pulled me aside and said that the guy was part of the GTAA Board that approved the Hewitt contract).

We've never spent money hiring basketball coaches. Whack Hyder was my PT instructor. Dwayne Morrison--never mind. Cremins was unknown and cheap. The order came down from the President to hire someone "black and cheap" which is how we got Hewitt (which didn't turn out to be cheap). Then we didn't have money to spend so we hired Gregory, who as slugboy says got a push from Izzo. Then we could only afford Pastner because Memphis (Memphis! not a P5 school rolling in SEC/B1G dough, but locally popular) subsidized his salary.

Academics and (to some degree) football rule at Tech, and they get the dough. It is what it is.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You overestimate the power of the AD and underestimate the power of the President--although Clough deferred to Braine (and Radakovich) unless big money donors became involved--which didn't happen with basketball decisions. The GTAA Board approved the Hewitt contract. Some of those folks are still on the Board--and are put there by the President. (A buddy of mine was giving a guy a hard time while we were tailgating this fall--then he pulled me aside and said that the guy was part of the GTAA Board that approved the Hewitt contract).

We've never spent money hiring basketball coaches. Whack Hyder was my PT instructor. Dwayne Morrison--never mind. Cremins was unknown and cheap. The order came down from the President to hire someone "black and cheap" which is how we got Hewitt (which didn't turn out to be cheap). Then we didn't have money to spend so we hired Gregory, who as slugboy says got a push from Izzo. Then we could only afford Pastner because Memphis (Memphis! not a P5 school rolling in SEC/B1G dough, but locally popular) subsidized his salary.

Academics and (to some degree) football rule at Tech, and they get the dough. It is what it is.

My response to someone else was concisely clear that blame was to be placed on the administration, as led by the AD.

I have no interest in going back & forth with you about how there's additional oversight infrastructure that was complicit in Hewitt's extension because you failed to recognize the manner in which I was keeping my response to someone else brief.

Have a good evening.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Quade Green is transferring from Kentucky. Looks like Ashton Hagans is already making a impact on his minutes.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Green is a little like Will Bynum in that he is more a SG in a PG's body.
He's probably the best shooter on KY teams right now. Shot 38% as a FR from three and was shooting 42% this year (and 90% FT).
He's not nearly the defender that Hagans and Quickley are but he is probably a better offensive player than either of them.
I'd take him if he wanted to come here, we have plenty of good defensive players, he'd give you more options on the offensive end. Doubt he does though.

Also, saw that Miami got bad news that Deng Gak is lost for the year due to an injury. With Hernandez being held out due to eligibility issues (he was named in the trial), Miami's frontcourt is getting really depleted and they are not deep as a team period.