GT Hoops General Topics

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I'm completely fine with us passing on Balsa. In addition to the stuff Peac mentions, his stock has been dropping for two years. He was seen as a top 10-ish talent two years ago. Now he's a 4 star and ranked around 50th. I watched him play a few times in AAU 2017 and came away wondering what the hype was about. I'm not a college coach or scout, but I think there are many better options for us

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
It looks like the ACC no longer wants to host the conference tournament in Atlanta:

ACC denies Atlanta bid for tournament, what that may mean

The ACC basketball tournament will not return to Atlanta until at least 2023, if then. That became clear Thursday after the conference announced that the 2021 and 2022 tournaments will take place in Washington, D.C. and New York (Brooklyn), respectively. Atlanta had bid to host the 2021 tournament, according a spokeswoman for the Atlanta Sports Council.
When the 2012 ACC tournament was held at Philips Arena (now State Farm Arena), it was the sixth time that Atlanta had hosted the event in a 30-year span. With the tournament booked through 2022, that will be a 10-year run without the event in Atlanta.

The spokeswoman also said that the sports council is focused on the next bid cycle. Commissioner John Swofford’s comments released by the ACC with Thursday’s announcement suggest that Atlanta’s chances may be limited.

Swofford said that ACC member schools were pleased with the next four sites “because it’s a continuation of the rotation we’ve had in recent years.”

Greensboro, Washington and Brooklyn have shared the past six tournaments. (Charlotte’s last tournament was 2008.)

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My 1st ACCT was in ATL and it was fine. That said, there were a lot of empty seats, even with UNC playing through the championship game.
Mine as well - Omni 1983. Ralph Sampsons last year and the start of the Wolfpack miracle post season. Duke went down by 43 points to UVA. There were no empty seats back then.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Maybe it's helping us with our NY recruiting?

I think it is helping the ACC with its overall PR and image. I think things were getting stale in Greensboro - as much as I enjoyed Greensboro.

Who knows whether GT is getting any advantage from our one and done appearances. :(

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I went to the ACCT in Charlotte a few times in the 90s at the old Hornets place. Always sold out and very hard to get tickets
Went to 2005 in DC at the MCI Arena. Sold out. Tough ticket
Went to 2001 & 2009 in the Dome and 2012 in Phillips.
Attendance in 2001 was ok, but it looked bad due to the cavernous nature of the Dome. Hard to get old tickets
2009 was a disaster. Anyone who wanted tickets could get them free. I think this ruined our chances of ever getting it back here
2012 was better than 2009 by far, but I think the awful experience in 2009 soured the conference on Atlanta as a venue

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
FYI: Former Tech walk-on guard Jon Brown transferred and showed up at Seward Community College. I believe he wants to play.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
US News college rankings out this morning...
#4 in Engineering, behind MIT, Stanford & Berkeley. Tied with Cal Tech

We are #35 in national university and #8 in public universities. UGA is behind us in both (46 & 13, respectively).

In the ACC, Duke (8), Notre Dame (18), UVA (25), Wake (27), UNCheat (30) are ranked ahead of in national university. BC is 3 spots behind us at 38.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Well the hoops department is really awesome. I emailed Ellie Cantkier regarding the mobile stinger passes for basketball and got a very quick response. She sent me a very nice response that they "GREATLY appreciate your support".

Forwarded my request on to their marketing department, ticketing department, and CJP and that someone would respond to me soon regarding the passes.

Didn't think that they'd have decided yet whether to do them again since the acc had just released the schedule but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask them about it. Hope tech offers them again this year.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Well the hoops department is really awesome. I emailed Ellie Cantkier regarding the mobile stinger passes for basketball and got a very quick response. She sent me a very nice response that they "GREATLY appreciate your support".

Forwarded my request on to their marketing department, ticketing department, and CJP and that someone would respond to me soon regarding the passes.

Didn't think that they'd have decided yet whether to do them again since the acc had just released the schedule but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask them about it. Hope tech offers them again this year.

Yeah CJP has a reputation of answering emails. This has apparently trickled down. This administration sells the program much better than in the past