GT Hoops General Topics

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
should have one more category to show the delta to the general student body
Found it in the actual report: https://race.usc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/2018_Sports_Report.pdf

upload_2018-3-12_14-19-26.png

slugboy

Staff member
Having the overall student body graduation rate up to 84% is awesome--better than FSU, Pitt, Va Tech, Clemson, Louisville, et. al.
How did Louisville get into the ACC?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Having the overall student body graduation rate up to 84% is awesome--better than FSU, Pitt, Va Tech, Clemson, Louisville, et. al.
How did Louisville get into the ACC?

When you cant find fundamental reasons for something there is usually one common thing that all head scratching decisions have in common.

I used to work with a guy that said: "two things make smart men really dumb, pretty girls and stacks of cash."

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Shafer Avi Sachiki (Georgia Institute of Technology) January 28, 1998, 20 years old Height is 203 cm, position is center. He started playing basketball in a senior high school student, and since then ran up the stairs in a stroke he called "Cinderella Boy in the Japanese basketball world". Last year, when I sell my name with active at Japanese national team who entered tenth place ever in the U-19 World Cup, I graduated from Georgia Institute of Technology in NCAA Division 1 from this year. In prestigious schools that produced NBA players such as Chris Bosch and Stephane Mabriey, under the harsh conditions of walk-on (no scholarship), this season only played 3 minutes in total for 4 games this season was not yet blessed with the opportunity to participate. Even so, it seems that in practice I had a lot of days spared by my senior players at prestigious schools. On March 6, the ACC tournament held in Brooklyn lost to Boston College in the first round, Georgia Tech University's end this season. After the game, Shafer spoke about the summary of this season and the hot feelings for the Japanese delegate. The team is sluggish, the season that gained valuable experience - This season was a disappointing season as the team, with 13 wins and 19 losses in this season and the ACC tournament lost from the first game. SA: That was disappointing. It was a difficult season. There were injuries of the main players, and there were many problems inside and outside the court. Originally it is a team with a lot of freshmen and thanks to it I could not concentrate on basketball only. There were places where the surroundings were quite influenced, and as a result I lost the loss throughout the season. In the non-conference game, the inferior team could lose without being able to concentrate even on opponent. It was painful for me this season, but I want to switch my mind and head towards the next season. - But even though it was ten wins and seven losses until January 13, there was an impression that it broke down at once in the middle of the season. SA: That's right. However, it was already considerable damage as a result that it was only 6 wins and 6 losses at the end of the non conference game. After entering ACC's conference game, it became impossible to win with a strong opponent again. (On February 11) It was already a downhill since Jose (Al Ballard) was injured. Even so, I could win two consecutive victories at the end of the season, but in the ACC tournament I decided to taste the hard loser again. - As individuals, what did you get in the first year at Division 1? SA: Last year I did it at the prep school in the USA, but the level was already completely different. I was able to know that level in the year. Actually time to stand on the court is small, so I have not fought directly with the players of other teams, but still I am looking at them closely and practicing with my teammates everyday. Division 1, I think that I was able to feel the level of ACC as well, I think it was really good for the future. In case - What is the part that I could grow here in terms of concrete play? SA: It is a finish. (Division 1 has a lot of large players, and everyone is coming aggressively around the goal. I was able to finish while receiving contacts so far, but now I can not decide that I am really not going to attack the goal. Although it is still a challenge, I think that I think that I have improved quite a bit like that. In case - When I heard the story in February it was a story that skills should be improved in general. What are the issues other than the finish? SA: I am not a player of flower shape, like taking a score. I would like to be able to stop the guard's players to some extent even when I raise the level of defense more and switch to guard. Regarding Big Man, there are a variety of big man in this league, such as skill-rich Bigman, physical subtle Giant Man. I think that raising the level of defense is the best way to get play time so that we can match up to that one. In case - What is the target of this team next season? SA: Of course I will participate in the NCAA tournament. The goal was also the same this year, but this season was a young team and there were injuries, too. I think that the potential is a certain team after next year. Winning the ACC tournament is also one of the goals. I have not been able to enter the NCAA tournament recently, so I want to get out next year somehow. In case - As individuals? SA: Anyway, it is to enter rotation. It is a feeling that seems like "I am not in my eyes" now (laugh). I've been at walk-on in a year, so next year I will demonstrate my presence from practicing and I'd like to keep working hard anyway. I will work hard to dig into rotation and get play time. Although there were not many opportunities to participate this season, I gained valuable experience in team practice (Daisuke Sugiura) Although there were not many opportunities to participate this season, I gained valuable experience in team practice (Daisuke Sugiura) I want to help Japan suffering Japan - Where are you looking at the World Cup / Asia Qualifying Games of Japan national team? SA: Chokokocho is watching. I have not seen it on live, but I will check it with YouTube, and after that detailed information will come in twitter as well. - In the course of four consecutive loses, it is pointed out that the inside is weak. SA: Yes, the toughest defeat has continued. The Philippine partner was pretty much damaged by the rebound. I think that Japan knew that the inside was weak, so anyway I have to do it somehow. - Do you have any idea that you can help? SA: Yes. When I enter, I think that I will be able to find the art of contribution. In August, an important game is waiting for Australia against home and in July for Away and against Taiwan. Do you feel like wanting to go out if possible? SA: Everyone is doing together throughout the whole year at the training camp, so it is chemistry-like that there is better condition in this state. I only had them participate in the training camp about half a month to a month last year. However, if I get in and communication with other players gets firm and I can fit well on the court, perhaps I can do pretty much as an individual. If I put it in the circle of the team, I would like to go out to the game and I want to do my best to be able to participate in the expedition. --What do you think you can supply to the Japanese delegate concretely? In case SA: It is the presence of inside. I think that Japanese big men had something to look smaller in other big man in Asia. It's not that the body is small, but the play looks small. There was something called hit a little weak, but I will not lose if it is the strength of hit. In that sense, I think that I can supply a sense of presence. - As I was talking about the fact that contact with the Japanese delegation was not enough as of February, now is it? SA: Once, I'm talking a bit, but I was still in college season. Until the end of the season, have you not talked with this coach yet? I do not know the summer schedule, but I think that I can probably participate considerably in the activities of the national team. - What are the specific plans for the future? SA: There is a holiday for one or two weeks after the season has ended, after that there is a regular training in the off season, but there is no team practice. It is such feeling, such as independent training and pickup game. And since it will be summer vacation in early May, I think that I would like to participate in the activities of the national team from there.
Warning for those sensitive to such things there is a GTU reference.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I thought this was an interesting analysis looking at whether having highly rated recruiting classes (but not Ky or Duke #1) type classes helps you win more NCAA Tourney games.
The basic conclusion is no.
Almost 3 quarters of the schools with classes ranked #2-5 (56 examples) since 2002 failed to win more than 1 game in the NCAA Tourney and a quarter of them failed to even make the Tourney.

It appears having a strong coaching staff is actually at least as important if not more so than getting a top rated recruiting class every year.

http://ncaapool.elementfx.com/TOP5.htm

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought this was an interesting analysis looking at whether having highly rated recruiting classes (but not Ky or Duke #1) type classes helps you win more NCAA Tourney games.
The basic conclusion is no.
Almost 3 quarters of the schools with classes ranked #2-5 (56 examples) since 2002 failed to win more than 1 game in the NCAA Tourney and a quarter of them failed to even make the Tourney.

It appears having a strong coaching staff is actually at least as important if not more so than getting a top rated recruiting class every year.

http://ncaapool.elementfx.com/TOP5.htm
Very interesting read!!! Shows the get old - stay old strategy .. when paired with good coaching and ability to develop players can lead to a lot of success.