GT Hoops General Topics

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
@kg01, @dtm1997, @RamblinRed, @Peacone36, etc...

I am out of the loop. What is your opinion on our 3 current commits and the class BG is putting together???

White is the gem here. When I watched video on him before he originally committed to UT i thought he was a solid rebounder but some reports im seeing are saying he needs to work better on rebounding his area. CMN was a good rebounder, Melo is in good hands.

Okogie is an athletic defensive player who needs polish on the offensive end. He is not going to come in and get us 8-10 a game as a frosh IMHO. 4.5 or so is more likely but his presence will be very obvious on the defensive end. He has shown very well on the AAU circuit against top notch competition as I believe Justin Young tweeted yesterday he is one of the most decorated players over the years in Youngs tournaments (not sure if they are JY's tournaments DTM would know better)

Matthews is unknown to me, not a alot of publicity on him, not sure of his competition but he filled it up at whatever level he played at. Whether or not that translates to being able to score at the ACC level I am not sure of, but he has good size at 6'6 and i think I read somewhere he wears a 16 shoe IIRC, which means he may not be done growing yet. Ill take a 6'8 wing that can shoot everyday of the week.

Overall given the current situation of the program and other programs (esp ACC competitions) being able to cut us down with these guys, this staff gets a solid B in my eyes. Would have been an A if they could have reeled in BRob.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@kg01, @dtm1997, @RamblinRed, @Peacone36, etc...

I am out of the loop. What is your opinion on our 3 current commits and the class BG is putting together???
I think @Ramblingon & @Peacone36 sum it up pretty well. I think we've got a reasonable shot at landing Khadim Sy or Darius Hicks following their upcoming visits, so that would take care of our post needs, leaving us with a spot open.

I think current commits are likely to be pretty solid, ACC-caliber players. White & Okogie could be day 1 starters, emphasis on could. Okogie could be the next MGH or even the next BJ Elder, but he has some work to do to get there. I think Okogie will be a difference maker and has shown he can excel as 2nd or 3rd option. If we can find a headline act to pair him with that would be serious bizness.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I think @Ramblingon & @Peacone36 sum it up pretty well. I think we've got a reasonable shot at landing Khadim Sy or Darius Hicks following their upcoming visits, so that would take care of our post needs, leaving us with a spot open.

I think current commits are likely to be pretty solid, ACC-caliber players. White & Okogie could be day 1 starters, emphasis on could. Okogie could be the next MGH or even the next BJ Elder, but he has some work to do to get there. I think Okogie will be a difference maker and has shown he can excel as 2nd or 3rd option. If we can find a headline act to pair him with that would be serious bizness.
Does this year's recruiting give Coach 2 more years to right the ship? I mean we really couldn't expect a bunch of Freshman to come in and turn the program around in 1 year, could we? If Coach has a solid recruiting year he should be given time to develop those guys, shouldn't he? That would be at least 2 years and maybe 3 depending on how patient you are.

I hope our leadership's patience results in a positive outcome here. Time will tell. Go Jackets!!!!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Does this year's recruiting give Coach 2 more years to right the ship? I mean we really couldn't expect a bunch of Freshman to come in and turn the program around in 1 year, could we? If Coach has a solid recruiting year he should be given time to develop those guys, shouldn't he? That would be at least 2 years and maybe 3 depending on how patient you are.

I hope our leadership's patience results in a positive outcome here. Time will tell. Go Jackets!!!!
I think he gets two years unless this season is another disaster. He missed on some guys this year and I was not sure he would pull this out of the ditch. But here we are. If he signs Pinkney or Sy or Hicks, this is a damn good class. As it currently stands, it looks like we have a solid group to build on. Next year needs to find a PG and post player of this same caliber or better. And another wing.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Why would a class that is middle of the road in conference save a guy winning roughly a quarter of his conference games? Why would gregory be given more time to develop this class when he hasn't shown any ability to develop the players he already has brought in?

LibertyTurns

Banned
Why would a class that is middle of the road in conference save a guy winning roughly a quarter of his conference games? Why would gregory be given more time to develop this class when he hasn't shown any ability to develop the players he already has brought in?
If you've made the decision to give him more time, which we have, it would not be right to not give him that time. I'm not buying the "we're financially constrained" BS. We decided to give Coach some time to right the program & 1 year would not be enough. I'm guessing it was a 2-3 year commitment, that would be fair.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
If you've made the decision to give him more time, which we have, it would not be right to not give him that time. I'm not buying the "we're financially constrained" BS. We decided to give Coach some time to right the program & 1 year would not be enough. I'm guessing it was a 2-3 year commitment, that would be fair.

we have already given him 4 seasons. That is sufficient time. If you look around the country at what has happened with programs like Iowa St, Auburn, NC State, Miami (FL), Virginia, they all made coaching changes, hired the right guys and their programs have turned around very quickly. You are going to see the same soon with Texas, VT, Texas A&M as soon as this coming season.

The financial constraints (i said restraints last time and that was incorrect) are real. In order to not put a band-aid on this mess we need to buy out both Hewitt and BG completely, you cannot justify blowing your budget by $9M (?) university wide just for your basketball program w/o the help of wealthy program boosters. Those boosters either balked or grew tired of repeated AD shenanigans and said no.

Here we are, with what we have.

On the plus side the 2016 recruiting class has multiple guys inside the top 300. So, there is a step in the right direction.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Are you under the impression that we just hired gregory or something?
No, all I''m saying is that if Bobinski sat down with Coach and reviewed his performance you he would have arrived at one of 3 conclusions:
a. His performance was lacking and he needed to go
b. His performance was lacking, however some aspects of his performance were satisfactory or even good. In this case, he gets a PIP and you're willing to work with him as there's signs of a decent foundation being built
c. You think his performance is fine

We know it's not a, we suspect it's not c, so we're left with b. That being said do we really think that the agreement was "I'm giving you 1 year to turn this ship around"? That seems rather harsh seeing as Coach needs to (I'm guessing at the alleged weaknesses here):
a. Get a good recruiting class under his belt so he can demonstrate that he can recruit.
b. Improve his in-game coaching so we can pull out some of the close ones
then
c. Have a winning record or get close
d. Make the NIT/NCAAT or get close
e. Follow up with another good recruiting class

Just seems to me it would be rather unfair to tell him if you don't have a winning season this year you're out on your butt. The man's future is being predicated on a bunch of Freshman plus transfers bailing him out so he can get a second year? The man should be given a chance since we're the ones that decided he deserved another chance. He did show signs of being able to correct one of his major deficiencies, right? He should have the opportunity to develop these recruits and let the chips fall where they may.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Just seems to me it would be rather unfair to tell him if you don't have a winning season this year you're out on your butt. The man's future is being predicated on a bunch of Freshman plus transfers bailing him out so he can get a second year?

It wouldn't be a second year. It'd be a sixth. And no, there is nothing unfair about telling a guy to have one winning season in conference in 5 years or you don't get a sixth. This isn't a mess he inherited. This is a mess he made all on his own.

Sorry, but opting not to fire him this year doesn't mean he is owed not to be fired next year if we have another terrible year. The leaps in logic are astounding and if put into practice would lead to him never getting fired because not getting fired the year before means he shouldn't be fired the next year.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
It was A.

MBob just didnt have the means to terminate. You should review the happenings of the few months following the season.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The reality was A. It was reported as B because D we didn't have $7MM and we won't have $4MM following this season if it's poor.

Reality is now that he's still here, he gets a fair chance to turn things around. If we win this year, he'll get more leash. If he follows through on this recruiting class, even more leash. Shows the 2016 class can do something to help a Tadric/Travis/Lammers foundation... he might get turned loose. Land some high quality kids in 2017 & 2018, maybe BG attains the success he hoped to initially.

I've got no idea if he gets it done. I think he gets 2 more years regardless because of monetary reasons, but I do think he gets a legit opportunity to sink or swim.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
While I don't doubt the truth of the headline on FTRS, if you are going to put that headline out there you should at least mention the incident in the article.

Upon reading again......and again. Is this a separate incident or something having to do with the 2012 incident? I'm confused

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
image.png

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Georgia Tech has continued its improvement with its NCAA-measured Graduation Success Rate, recording a school-record rate for the third consecutive year.
Link

For basketball still last in ACC but major improvement under CBG.