GT Hoops General Topics

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'd say big red worked out just fine

Big Red was painful to watch early in his career...had height, but post guys would just knock him out of the play he was so skinny and light. He was just really awkward as all seven footers are that age. His JR and SR year is where he started becoming a presence for us in the post. He was never the force Okafor was in the post, but he more than held his own his last 2 years and was fun to watch. I'm sure CBG would take another Luke right now.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
BG breaks down some of the new rules coming on line this year. For all the concerns about recruiting at this level & in-game tactics, he certainly can analyze the game.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/061915aab.html

This is one that might be the most painful - "I think the no closely-guarded rule [where previously a ball handler had to pass or shoot within five seconds if a defender was close enough] . . . I think you'll see a change in play due to that more than anything, potentially, because you can keep the ball in one guy's hands, and he can dribble forever."

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is one that might be the most painful - "I think the no closely-guarded rule [where previously a ball handler had to pass or shoot within five seconds if a defender was close enough] . . . I think you'll see a change in play due to that more than anything, potentially, because you can keep the ball in one guy's hands, and he can dribble forever."
30 seconds just seems like forever in BG's offense.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Close defense is the one thing CBG teams do well.

I'm sure he feels that rule change like a punch in the gut.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Hadnt seen this up here but apparently Martice Moore passed in his sleep from heart failure a couple nights ago.

A bit before my time but alot of people say he was tremendously talented.

RIP

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I saw someone posted that about Martice Moore but I haven't been able to find anything on it. Too bad if true.

Was ACC Freshman of the Year before transferring to CO. IIRC we'd had a string of ACCFRoY and I was shocked he left so abruptly.

Ah well, as @awbuzz says, he wasn't an old guy so this is strange.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I saw someone posted that about Martice Moore but I haven't been able to find anything on it. Too bad if true.

Was ACC Freshman of the Year before transferring to CO. IIRC we'd had a string of ACCFRoY and I was shocked he left so abruptly.

Ah well, as @awbuzz says, he wasn't an old guy so this is strange.

He needed to get out of Atlanta. He had sort of a bad crowd around him in Atlanta. It was largely mutually agreed on by Cremins and Martice's family that he should get out of Atlanta. Some of the kids he grew up with and hung with were not really good characters.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Just heard Isaiah Thomas on NBARadio asked who was the toughest PG for him to guard 1-on-1. His answer ... Mark Price.

"I just couldn't stay in front of him." Said he asked Chuck Daly to put in his backup after a few minutes to see, "What he (DET's backup PG) could do with him."

Just figured I'd share.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
@kg01, @dtm1997, @RamblinRed, @Peacone36, etc...

I am out of the loop. What is your opinion on our 3 current commits and the class BG is putting together???

My humble opinion is that it's a pretty good class considering the coach situation and considering our immediate needs next season. Maybe, if the rule is still in effect, we pick up a grad PF in the Spring to go with White. If Okogie and Matthews can hit from outside at the college level it would make a tremendous difference.