GT Hoops General Topics

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck
Let me also add that this team needs all available players to play. If one of the walk-ons was good enough to redshirt he would have been on scholarship and with the two suspensions would have had to play anyway. I asked in the summer about any possible redshirts, specifically Moses, and was told that nobody will redshirt. I also asked if any of the walk-ons were good enough to earn playing time and was told no, they are good practice players.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This response is to everyone in general, so @forensicbuzz please don’t take it as if I’m attacking you. They are walk-ons, the staff did not view them as being good enough to offer a scholarship to them but they are good enough for practice players. I know everyone loves a Rudy and wants the underdog to make it but don’t look for any of these guys to be some savior in white and gold.
I'm not offended, nor do I feel like you're attacking me. I'm just saying that the walk-ons could red-shirt if the coaches wanted them to.

As I'm sure you know, our Director of Player Personnel joined the Tech squad as a walk-on in the fall of 2002, red-shirted in 2002-03, and earned a scholarship for the 2003-04 season. He was a Team Captain as a senior and played 5 yrs in the NBA. It can happen.

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not offended, nor do I feel like you're attacking me. I'm just saying that the walk-ons could red-shirt if the coaches wanted them to.

As I'm sure you know, our Director of Player Personnel joined the Tech squad as a walk-on in the fall of 2002, red-shirted in 2002-03, and earned a scholarship for the 2003-04 season. He was a Team Captain as a senior and played 5 yrs in the NBA. It can happen.
A player like Rio comes along once in a lifetime. It’s not happening with this group though and I pull hard for the underdogs. Where did you get your info? He was on the team from 2003-2007. That’s four seasons.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
A player like Rio comes along once in a lifetime. It’s not happening with this group though and I pull hard for the underdogs. Where did you get your info? He was on the team from 2003-2007. That’s four seasons.

To add to that, the legend of Mario West has grown over the years. The guy was probably right up there with anyone in terms of intangibles, but his accomplishments on the floor were more towards tenacity and being a defensive stopper. He was tireless on both ends of the court, and dove for every loose ball that happened to be remotely in his vicinity. Mario's best year he averaged 5pts and amost 3 rebs a game. His game though, was probably more valuable outside of the points and rebounds he contributed.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
To add to that, the legend of Mario West has grown over the years. The guy was probably right up there with anyone in terms of intangibles, but his accomplishments on the floor were more towards tenacity and being a defensive stopper. He was tireless on both ends of the court, and dove for every loose ball that happened to be remotely in his vicinity. Mario's best year he averaged 5pts and amost 3 rebs a game. His game though, was probably more valuable outside of the points and rebounds he contributed.
Good enough to make the NBA for a while with those intangibles [emoji3]

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Hopefully we will get a considerable contribution from our top 13 guys and the walk-ons will get enough PT to make their contribution meaningful. If a walk-on starts making an impression in practice, he will get the PT. That's the way it should be.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
One of the best on ball defenders ive ever seen

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
In addition to remembering this because I lived through it, you can find it http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/west_mario00.html.

If you're not sure the official GTAA website is correct, I'm sure you could just ask him.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Of all walk ons, I was hopeful that Brown could emerge as a change of pace PG/Slasher, but sensing that he’s too loose with the ball and his approach to defense is something to pass the time until offense rolls back around.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I’m aware. It will not happen with this group.
If I remember correctly, BD's playing time was thanks to Kenny Anderson. Brian came in some at PG and allowed KA to slide to the 2-guard. That would have been another fantastic season had Dennis Scott stayed for his senior season. Brian probably wouldn't have played, but Dennis and Kenny are my all-time favorite players.

PS: I never assume any walk-on will get anything except mop-up minutes against the weak teams we warm up with.

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck
If I remember correctly, BD's playing time was thanks to Kenny Anderson. Brian came in some at PG and allowed KA to slide to the 2-guard. That would have been another fantastic season had Dennis Scott stayed for his senior season. Brian probably wouldn't have played, but Dennis and Kenny are my all-time favorite players.
Your memory is correct. Unfortunately, Kenny is currently sullying his reputation by supporting Ron Bell. Unrelated, but BD got into some legal trouble not too long ago.

Jacketbacker17

Jolly Good Fellow
Jordan Tucker played a total of 6 minutes tonight in a blowout win for Duke and was 0-1 on his only shot attempt which was a 3 pointer. Smh.. should have came to GT.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Jordan Tucker played a total of 6 minutes tonight in a blowout win for Duke and was 0-1 on his only shot attempt which was a 3 pointer. Smh.. should have came to GT.

TBH, I'm glad he didn't sign with GT. I saw him play in person twice, and if someone didn't tell you he was a P5 prospect, you would not have known it from his play. He looks the part in terms of height, length, and body....but his game is so underwhelming. He's known for his shooting, but he shoots it very poorly from midrange on.

I'm surprised he was so highly recruited. Good for him somehow getting Duke to pull the trigger.