GT Hoops General Topics

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Haven't listened to this and it may have already been posted, but here's a podcast featuring Kenny Anderson.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
These recent posts reminded me, i have heard exactly zero about J-Mo's play during the scrimmages. What did he look like in the first two games?

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck
These recent posts reminded me, i have heard exactly zero about J-Mo's play during the scrimmages. What did he look like in the first two games?
He was just as he was last year with the addition of better ball handling. He still needs to improve his midrange game. He did take the ball to the basket with more authority.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He was just as he was last year with the addition of better ball handling. He still needs to improve his midrange game. He did take the ball to the basket with more authority.
A significant improvement he needs is actually scoring (or drawing foul) when he attacks the basket. Maybe "with more authority" implies that, but his line from the exhibition did not support that.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
A significant improvement he needs is actually scoring (or drawing foul) when he attacks the basket. Maybe "with more authority" implies that, but his line from the exhibition did not support that.

he's listed at 162 lbs I believe, it is hard to get to basket sometimes at that weight ,he gets bumped off early on drive

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m speaking about what I saw at the exhibition and what I’ve been told about his performance at the scrimmage. I agree that he needs to work on finishing and getting to the line. If he can penetrate with greater consistency, our wings should have better opportunities to be set to shoot on a kick out pass.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I could see that being the starting 5. Though we know JO is out for a little bit.

On the Moore front, I think he may have the most to win or lose this year in terms of development. If he does not develop as much as the staff wants they have Devoe coming in next year and Phillips becoming eligible.
Devoe is a much better shooter and better passer than Moore. Phillips has 2 yrs of college experience as a part time guard starter - including at PG. He's a really strong defender who also has good avg from both the FT line and 3-pt line. Both have the size to play either guard spot. I could see those 2 taking min from Moore.

Nice article on Evan. I think he is going to be a nice long term asset to this team. Like Haywood, he has a beautiful looking jumper. I'm assuming it was a typo but would love for him to have had a growth spurt and by 6'11.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I could see that being the starting 5. Though we know JO is out for a little bit.

On the Moore front, I think he may have the most to win or lose this year in terms of development. If he does not develop as much as the staff wants they have Devoe coming in next year and Phillips becoming eligible.
Devoe is a much better shooter and better passer than Moore. Phillips has 2 yrs of college experience as a part time guard starter - including at PG. He's a really strong defender who also has good avg from both the FT line and 3-pt line. Both have the size to play either guard spot. I could see those 2 taking min from Moore.

Nice article on Evan. I think he is going to be a nice long term asset to this team. Like Haywood, he has a beautiful looking jumper. I'm assuming it was a typo but would love for him to have had a growth spurt and by 6'11.
Roster says 6/9 and the article says 6/11. Agree 6/11 would be nice if he can keep his quicks.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Roster says 6/9 and the article says 6/11. Agree 6/11 would be nice if he can keep his quicks.

I don't know.. He is as tall as Moses. I didn't realize that he was so long. He's going to be a good fit once he gets a little stronger.

Some of the rebounds he lost were due to contact. He's going to need to play through that in the ACC where everyone is bigger and stronger.

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
Is there any scuttlebutt about Avi Schafer? I realize he's a long term project, but is he showing anything? He's got an ACC body and some intriguing upside.