GT Hoops General Topics

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
i really hope its forshadowing. 2 freshman in the starting 5 is a refreshing sight to see. Maybe not after seeing the scrimmage, but i think it speaks multitudes about recruiting

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think it speaks more to what was left in the cupboard that it does recruiting. Not that recruiting was bad quite the opposite. But I'm not sure these freshmen are ready for prime time quite yet

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Love the video of JO. He is certainly comfortable from the left angle, 7 in a row and 9 of 10. Form is good, though his release is a little slow. But as Pea mentioned, if you have a guard that can penetrate and draw the defense in, he certainly looks like he could make teams pay.
Glad to see he is able to workout and shoot. That is a big cast on the hand.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Observations....
-doesn’t look like Moses Wright will be redshirted?
-will any others become a redshirt candidate, including walk-ons?
-from the Season Ticket Holders Event, CJP indicated how this team could be better than 2016-17 in comparison for “late February.” Did not say if margin for error was greater or other factors such as player development/injuries compute in such theory.

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck
Observations....
-doesn’t look like Moses Wright will be redshirted?
-will any others become a redshirt candidate, including walk-ons?
-from the Season Ticket Holders Event, CJP indicated how this team could be better than 2016-17 in comparison for “late February.” Did not say if margin for error was greater or other factors such as player development/injuries compute in such theory.
Moses was never going to redshirt. Neither will any of the other scholarship freshmen. Walk-ons do not redshirt. They are not on scholarship. This team will be better than last year’s team later in the season once the freshmen get battle tested.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Moses was never going to redshirt. Neither will any of the other scholarship freshmen. Walk-ons do not redshirt. They are not on scholarship. This team will be better than last year’s team later in the season once the freshmen get battle tested.
Please, please, please be right regarding the last sentence! I so look forward to a good GT basketball ball season.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Whether they're on scholarship or not, they can still redshirt. Regardless of whether you pay your own way or the school pays your way, you only have 5 years to play 4 seasons. If we think some of the walk-ons are good enough to eventually get playing time, it would make sense to redshirt them all. As long as they don't play in any games, why not?

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck
Whether they're on scholarship or not, they can still redshirt. Regardless of whether you pay your own way or the school pays your way, you only have 5 years to play 4 seasons. If we think some of the walk-ons are good enough to eventually get playing time, it would make sense to redshirt them all. As long as they don't play in any games, why not?
This response is to everyone in general, so @forensicbuzz please don’t take it as if I’m attacking you. They are walk-ons, the staff did not view them as being good enough to offer a scholarship to them but they are good enough for practice players. I know everyone loves a Rudy and wants the underdog to make it but don’t look for any of these guys to be some savior in white and gold.