GT Hoops General Topics

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That this would be interesting, looked at the play by play for all the games this year.
GT was actually 5-2 OOC in games that were 5 pts or less at the 1 minute mark (3-1 in games that were 3 pts or less)
Down 4 - Marquette (L2)
Down 3 - USC Upstate (L5)
Up 1 - NW (W8), Charlotte (W1)
Up 2 - Vandy (W5)
Up 5 - UGA(W7), Rider(W7)

Since getting to the ACC that has changed radically
Down 4 - ND(L3), Duke(L6)
Down 3 - Pitt(L5)
Down 2 - BC(L2)
Down 1 - ND(L OT)
0 - NCSU(L OT)
Up 1 - Syracuse(L1), FSU(L4)
Up 3 - VT(L2)

So in the ACC GT has gone 0-7 in games that were 3 pts or less with a minutes to play and 0-9 in games that were 4 pts or less with 1 minute to play, including 3 where GT was leading and one tied.
Overall 3-8 in games that were 1 possession with a minute to play. 3-11 in games that were 4 pts or less with a minute to play.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
John came around some during the last years of Hewitt, praising him for how he ran practices etc.
I think it was a game in 2010 or 2011, at the end of Hewitt's time, when they were honoring a Price/Salley team, and Salley may have had a drink or two, but at halftime, basically suggested he be brought in as the Head Coach. Not a move I think he'd really want to take on or I'd want to see him in, but the crowd certainly cheered.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Jarrett Jack should has his number retired. My favorite bball Jacket of all time. Was super productive and has an amazing game. Took us to the championship game which we loss due to Elder being injured. It's hard to think that them losing that game disqualifies him.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Jarrett Jack should has his number retired. My favorite bball Jacket of all time. Was super productive and has an amazing game. Took us to the championship game which we loss due to Elder being injured. It's hard to think that them losing that game disqualifies him.
I hope he is our head coach when he is done in the nba

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

Especially since he came back and finished his degree.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Ggee87 said:

Especially since he came back and finished his degree.
I am all for that!

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Brief history of Georgia Tech basketball coaching hires since March, 1993.

In March of 1993, Bobby Cremins took the job at South Carolina. He changed his mind, Homer Rice let him come back, a decision that Rice later called one of the two worst decisions he made as AD.

Cremins’ teams only went to one NCAA tournament in the following 7 years until he “retired.”

A coaching search began with the incompetent Braine in charge. I have it on good authority that word came down from the Hill to hire someone black and cheap. Hewitt is hired, and in the beginning, he was cheap. Braine screwed that up, of course.

But, Hewitt did get GT to the NCAA’s in 2001, 2004, 2007 and 2010 (and the NIT in 2003). He was let go in 2011 after a 13-18 season.

Because of the Hewitt contract, cheap is the only option, and Gregory is hired from a Dayton program that is not that happy with him. Gregory has only had one winning season at GT, making Hewitt look like John Wooden.

And here we are. The program is in a mess, paying two coaches and getting zero results.