GT Hoops General Topics

gtuberfan

Ramblin' Wreck

And the Effy for Best At Beating SI's Projections, Major Conference goes to....
Josh Pastner, Georgia Tech!!!!

"Last fall, a certain member of the punditry made the now-infamous claim that Pastner was presiding over one of the worst major-conference rosters ever. SI's projection system wasn't that harsh, but it didn't love the Yellow Jackets, ranking them 204th in the preseason. Pastner proceeded to build the nation's No. 6-ranked defense around rim-protector Ben Lammers. That helped Tech upset North Carolina, Notre Dame, Florida State and Syracuse in the regular season, finish as the NIT runner-up and rank 77th in efficiency."

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Looks like the Wiz are practicing at tech
IMG_20170423_143700.jpg

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Medcalf: Rising Georgia Tech should be on the ACC's mind
Still, McCamish Pavilion rocked in Pastner’s first season. And it will again if Georgia Tech continues to improve.

But let’s go back to the beginning. Pastner came to Atlanta as someone who had fallen short. Now he’s rebuilding a Georgia Tech program that’s in far better shape than the mess he left behind in Memphis.

It seems like everyone involved with the Georgia Tech deal made the right decision.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I really believe that if BG was still here, Okogie would have been on the bench in favor for a grad transfer. Lammers is a toss up for me.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
I really believe that if BG was still here, Okogie would have been on the bench in favor for a grad transfer. Lammers is a toss up for me.
To be fair to BG, if you go back and read his postgame comments last year he was incredibly high on Lammers.

For example, here's a quote from the ACC teleconference on Feb. 8, 2016:

"I think he's got a bright, bright future. He's not the offensive threat at this point that Nick (Jacobs) or Charles (Mitchell) are, but he's our best post defender. He can guard the low post. He did a good job on two or three post isolations yesterday with (Tonye) Jekiri, and he was the only guy that could keep him off the glass yesterday. Even though there were a couple fouls that were called in the second half, he guarded (Brandon) Ingram for a lot of that game. Other than those fouls, he held him to a very low percentage. I think he was 3-for-14 from the field. He has a great understanding defensively and a high basketball IQ. We just need him to be a little more aggressive offensively. He needs to really develop the kind of ability to decide when to go for a block. He's very good in terms of shot blocking. He's in the upper level of the league without playing a ton of minutes, and the new defensive concept of walling up, leaving your feet, jumping up and not playing for the block and just trying to form a vertical wall in the air, which they allow nowadays. The added strength will help him on that his development has been great. I think he's going to obviously continue to help us this year, but also the next two years. I think he's going to be one of the better post players in our league, because he can shoot the ball, too, and that's one area that we need to maybe utilize a little more is his ability to knock down the 17-18-foot jump shot."

My impression of BG was that he knew basketball. He just wasn't able to get his teams to perform at a high level.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
To be fair to BG, if you go back and read his postgame comments last year he was incredibly high on Lammers.

For example, here's a quote from the ACC teleconference on Feb. 8, 2016:

"I think he's got a bright, bright future. He's not the offensive threat at this point that Nick (Jacobs) or Charles (Mitchell) are, but he's our best post defender. He can guard the low post. He did a good job on two or three post isolations yesterday with (Tonye) Jekiri, and he was the only guy that could keep him off the glass yesterday. Even though there were a couple fouls that were called in the second half, he guarded (Brandon) Ingram for a lot of that game. Other than those fouls, he held him to a very low percentage. I think he was 3-for-14 from the field. He has a great understanding defensively and a high basketball IQ. We just need him to be a little more aggressive offensively. He needs to really develop the kind of ability to decide when to go for a block. He's very good in terms of shot blocking. He's in the upper level of the league without playing a ton of minutes, and the new defensive concept of walling up, leaving your feet, jumping up and not playing for the block and just trying to form a vertical wall in the air, which they allow nowadays. The added strength will help him on that his development has been great. I think he's going to obviously continue to help us this year, but also the next two years. I think he's going to be one of the better post players in our league, because he can shoot the ball, too, and that's one area that we need to maybe utilize a little more is his ability to knock down the 17-18-foot jump shot."

My impression of BG was that he knew basketball. He just wasn't able to get his teams to perform at a high level.

He knows defense.

He's a mid major coach who is incredibly likeable and won't get you in trouble.

He can't recruit and his offense looks like my dorm room freshman year of college.....just **** all over the place