GT Hoops General Topics

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The only thing LaVar is doing is making his son a target in the NBA. By all accounts, Lonzo is a soft spoken and pretty well liked young man...a 180 from his father. Unfortunately, LaVar is writing checks Lonzo will eventually have to cover.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Interesting quote from yahoo.com on Kenny Anderson documentary Mr. Chibbs:
“I wanted to go to Syracuse University, but my mother went to visit Georgia Tech with me, and on the way home she said: You’re going to Georgia Tech. Coach Cremins will take care of you,” he says in the film.

Looks like Kenny's mom was the deciding factor for Tech.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Interesting quote from yahoo.com on Kenny Anderson documentary Mr. Chibbs:
“I wanted to go to Syracuse University, but my mother went to visit Georgia Tech with me, and on the way home she said: You’re going to Georgia Tech. Coach Cremins will take care of you,” he says in the film.

Looks like Kenny's mom was the deciding factor for Tech.

I've been hearing good things about the documentary particularly that he was extremely revealing w.r.t. his life. I'll definitely view it somehow since KA is my favorite player.

Not surprised he wanted to go to SCuse since Pearl Washington was KA's idol. Glad mom stepped in to lead him down a better path.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Interesting. I've been hearing that Kenny's Mom made the decision after @RamblinRed opened his wallet during the visit. ;)

Man, if only I had a wallet to open. I was a student at the time Kenny came here. If it was now I think a recruit would have to pry the money from my kids' hands. (y)

I remember going to a sports bar to watch Archbishop Molloy play. Cremins and his staff were there. Even then you could see what a talent he was.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Definitely the right decision. Let's see UGA wants it...that's reason enough to say no. Don't see any advantage in this for Tech. If uGAG wants to play their home game at Phillips instead of their horrible ugly gym than yep I'm for that. Tech home games though need to be at McCamish.

Heh. lol @ CPast saying stte, "I do know we don't recruit in Athens ..."

No idea why BG was apparently going along with this.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Definitely the right decision. Let's see UGA wants it...that's reason enough to say no. Don't see any advantage in this for Tech. If uGAG wants to play their home game at Phillips instead of their horrible ugly gym than yep I'm for that. Tech home games though need to be at McCamish.
If I read the article right this would have been UGA's home game getting played at Philips. Tech played UGA at McCamish this year and they were trying to get the 2017 game back here as well. The biggest problem is Fox then saying that UGA would get the game following at home as well. That means pushing Tech's next bball home game back a year.

I actually would almost agree to do this if I were Tech if UGA agreed to two conditions. First, UGA would have to sweeten the financial aspect so that Marvin would have the books balanced out right for having to delay our next home game a year. Second, it would only have been a one off deal for next year.

The reason I would like it was what Fox pointed out could result down the road, namely, that it would cause the bball and football games to become home/home or away/away each year for both teams. I remember when they more often were both played after Thanksgiving and think that would be a revenue boost and good for fans to be able to arrange.

The potential recruiting boost for UGA is offset by it being done for only one game, and for Fox being on the hot seat next year anyway.

If I read the article right this would have been UGA's home game getting played at Philips. Tech played UGA at McCamish this year and they were trying to get the 2017 game back here as well. The biggest problem is Fox then saying that UGA would get the game following at home as well. That means pushing Tech's next bball home game back a year.

I actually would almost agree to do this if I were Tech if UGA agreed to two conditions. First, UGA would have to sweeten the financial aspect so that Marvin would have the books balanced out right for having to delay our next home game a year. Second, it would only have been a one off deal for next year.

The reason I would like it was what Fox pointed out could result down the road, namely, that it would cause the bball and football games to become home/home or away/away each year for both teams. I remember when they more often were both played after Thanksgiving and think that would be a revenue boost and good for fans to be able to arrange.

The potential recruiting boost for UGA is offset by it being done for only one game, and for Fox being on the hot seat next year anyway.
Why not also move the football game to Mercedes Benz every year. That would certainly solve the problem of only 2000 Tech fans in Athens every other year. Of course, that will never fly in Athens, but it would definitely be nice to be able to go to that game every year.