GT Hoops General Topics

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Ok I have an odd request. I was telling my buddy about a hilarious video and he said he’s never seen it. I cannot find it anywhere

There is a guy sitting on a bench with a coach and the coach says “Steph curry has ruined basketball” due to his ridiculous shot making and kids are imitating him. Then he says “watch this young man” and some 8 yr old kid takes a one footed fade away triple. It’s cuts back to the coach and he’s just got a “see!” Look in his face.

If anyone can find it, there is a crisp high five in it for you.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Ok I have an odd request. I was telling my buddy about a hilarious video and he said he’s never seen it. I cannot find it anywhere

There is a guy sitting on a bench with a coach and the coach says “Steph curry has ruined basketball” due to his ridiculous shot making and kids are imitating him. Then he says “watch this young man” and some 8 yr old kid takes a one footed fade away triple. It’s cuts back to the coach and he’s just got a “see!” Look in his face.

If anyone can find it, there is a crisp high five in it for you.
Curre shot 48% from 3 for the full Olympics and 65% the last 2 games going 17/26. Good Three point shooting is absolutely essential to winning basketball now! Keep jacking them kids! The mid range shot is way overrated!

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Curre shot 48% from 3 for the full Olympics and 65% the last 2 games going 17/26. Good Three point shooting is absolutely essential to winning basketball now! Keep jacking them kids! The mid range shot is way overrated!
You’re not wrong, but we’re tiptoeing a line where defenses are really good at running you off the three and protecting the rim… there’s an obvious hole.
We’re not talking about 15 footers off the picket fence, but midrange off the bounce is a late shot clock demoralizer.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
You’re not wrong, but we’re tiptoeing a line where defenses are really good at running you off the three and protecting the rim… there’s an obvious hole.
We’re not talking about 15 footers off the picket fence, but midrange off the bounce is a late shot clock demoralizer.
That is about the only time a Mid Range shot is a really good shot. France had a bunch of guys who could shoot, so did the US, from long range. France was very good a cutting to the basket when defenders tried to close out the 3 point shots.

Durant's 3 point shot is near impossible to impact as he is so tall and gets the shot of so quickly. Wemby is scary good for a kid. His defensive range really impacts opponents offenses. In International BB where he can touch the ball over the basket he is a monster around the rim.

It will be interesting to see who become the next great group of US players. Edwards has a ton of potential. He seems to love playing and competing. I suspect playing on this team will help him a lot. Halaburton (sp) got few minutes but likely gained a lot as well. Booker is already a top tier player but not in the class of the 3 old guys. Embid's choice to play for the US was interesting. He clearly got it from the crowd but he seemed to revel in the boos.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
When I replay most of our game winning shots in recent years they were 2 point shots not 3 pointers. Sure perhaps it was 3 point shots that closed the gap to where a midrange jumper could win the game, but nonetheless when it came to winning the game we either took it to the hole or we made a midrange jumper. Rarer are the memories of Dennis Scott from downtown.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
When I replay most of our game winning shots in recent years they were 2 point shots not 3 pointers. Sure perhaps it was 3 point shots that closed the gap to where a midrange jumper could win the game, but nonetheless when it came to winning the game we either took it to the hole or we made a midrange jumper. Rarer are the memories of Dennis Scott from downtown.
Driving to the basket is the flip side of abundant 3 point shooting. They feed off each other. If you have multiple good 3 point shooters the defense must move out opening driving lanes and face the delima. collapse on the driver leaving a 3 point shooter open or staying out on the shooter and letting the driver get to the basket. That is what I believe CDS wants from our offense in general.

Game winning shots, take the best shot that will get the win. If a 2 pointe shot will win the game it is a good shot and potentially easier than a 3 point shot. For most of the game though the Mid Range shot is not the way to go now.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
Driving to the basket is the flip side of abundant 3 point shooting. They feed off each other. If you have multiple good 3 point shooters the defense must move out opening driving lanes and face the delima. collapse on the driver leaving a 3 point shooter open or staying out on the shooter and letting the driver get to the basket. That is what I believe CDS wants from our offense in general.

Game winning shots, take the best shot that will get the win. If a 2 pointe shot will win the game it is a good shot and potentially easier than a 3 point shot. For most of the game though the Mid Range shot is not the way to go now.
I respectfully disagree.
With the game on the line, a drive towards the basket and a pull up just inside the foul line is a good percentage shot, and it also has the possibility of drawing a foul.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
The issue with depending on three point shooting has been finding consistency. Typically, even sweet shooting teams have off nights. If you have the ability to get shots close to the basket, it is far less susceptible to off nights.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The issue with depending on three point shooting has been finding consistency. Typically, even sweet shooting teams have off nights. If you have the ability to get shots close to the basket, it is far less susceptible to off nights.
Coach K had good outside shooters but he really wanted to take it inside for high percentage shots and get the opponent in foul trouble. Spot 3 point shooting doesn't usually draw fouls. Good shooting does pull the defense out which then opens up lanes to the basket and forces the D to adjust to movement. We ran the pick and roll effectively at times last year. Baye got baskets and drew fouls. Really good execution. I am anxious to see what this team can do this year.

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
From Brendan Marks at the Athletic.

7. Georgia Tech​

Biggest losses: Miles Kelly (13.9 ppg, 5.5 rpg); Kyle Sturdivant (8.8 ppg); Dallan Coleman (5.9 ppg); Tafara Gapare (5.1 ppg); Tyzhaun Claude (4.8 ppg, 5.2 rpg); Amaree Abram (3.4 ppg)

Returning rotation players: Baye Ndongo (12.4 ppg, 8.2 rpg); Naithan George (9.8 ppg, 4.7 apg); Kowacie Reeves Jr. (9.8 ppg, 3.9 rpg); Lance Terry (10.1 ppg in 2022-23)

Top 100 freshmen added: No. 59 Jaeden Mustaf

Top 100 transfers added: No. 33 Javian McCollum (Oklahoma)

Why they’re here: This is higher than you’ll find the Yellow Jackets in other preseason rankings, but we’re calling our shot with Damon Stoudamire’s second squad: This team can make the NCAA Tournament. Georgia Tech returns three of its top four players, but most important among them are Ndongo — who posted the program’s best freshman stats since Chris Bosh and Derrick Favors — and George, who had the fourth-best assist rate in the ACC last season. Reeves is a highlight reel in waiting on the wing, and Terry, who missed all of last season with a calf injury, is a career 37.2 percent 3-point shooter who can prevent defenses from collapsing on Ndongo inside.

But McCollum is the other reason to be excited about GT. The nation’s second-best free-throw shooter last season (94.3 percent) is a pick-and-roll maestro who led the Sooners in scoring, and that’s even after his 3-point shot cratered in OU’s final 15 games. McCollum shot 39.8 percent from 3 in Oklahoma’s first 15 games … and 21.5 percent over its last 15. With him and George in the backcourt, pick-and-rolls with Ndongo should be as potent as any in the ACC. The Yellow Jackets are young — 11th in the ACC in D-I minutes — but should be fun.