GT Hoops General Topics

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Just because he is not wasting scholarships on a couple of bigs does not mean they are in line to start. Having some bigs with varying skills on the bench only makes the roster more well rounded and allows you to man up better against teams with different roster constructions.
I’ve never argued otherwise and have always said CDS wants options other than always having to play Ndongo at the 5.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don’t see CDS’ offense regularly having an old school big who simply plays on the low post. His offense is based on 3 point shooting and driving to the rim. If one of the other bigs can run a pick and roll near Nfongo’s level, which is elite for a college player, than that big will get playing time.

The offense needs guys who can hit 3s. I don’t see Ndongo becoming a 35% 3 point shooter this year nor any of the other bigs being able to do that.

Early season we will see lots of combinations sorting out who are the most productive players.

As LMJ has said Ndongo, George and McCollum are locks. There will be battles for the other 2 spots. Reeves has a clear inside track on one spot as he has a season with CDS under his belt.

I believe fewer players will play the 35+ minutes we saw our guys play last year. Ndongo likely gets the most minutes as his skill set is both unique on the team and he plays at a very high level.
Early last season I was the only one arguing for more minutes for Ndongo, so you’ll get no argument from me that he needs to be on the floor.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I’ve never argued otherwise and have always said CDS wants options other than always having to play Ndongo at the 5.
I inferred from your post that you believe Doryan and Mutombo would get significant playing time. My guess is both will get limited minutes except when Baye is in foul trouble or we face an opponent with a number of tall low post players. No one is arguing Baye will play all forty minutes, so someone is going to spell him. Who that will be depends on the opponent and who matches up best against them. Having said that, Baye will play the five a majority of the time he is on the floor.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
The way it looked to me last season is that Stoudamire gave everyone a chance to play and he allowed them to play their way OUT of the rotation. When a guy played his way out of the rotation, he never really got back in. Sometimes that was early in the season (Abram, Dowuona) and sometimes it was later in the season (Sacko).

I predict we will see the same thing this season. He will go deep into the bench and give guys a legit look, even an occasional start. For the young players, that may be later in the season. If they prove that they are "his" guys, they will play. I don't think Stoudamire cares if he has a deep or shallow rotation, he just wants to play guys who will run through walls for him and each other every game.

I agree with spdrama, you don't recruit top 100 talent and then not play them. Mustaf, Sutton and Onwuchekwa will play a lot unless they are busts, which seems unlikely.

I maintain that Onwuchekwa is the pivotal guy. He's got scoring skills but the key is if he can defend the post at this level. If they can get him ready to do that, then there is much more flexibility / versatility in this lineup. If not, Ndongo carries a very heavy load this season. which is a bit precarious.
To be clear, Doryan is not a top 100 recruit. He is somewhere in the 150 range. He and Sutton are also both not physically developed. The difference is that Sutton is not a low post player and has some ball handling skills that would work well as a four in our offense. So, I can see Sutton being in the rotation a lot more than Doryan, who is going to have to adjust to the physicality of ACC basketball. In others words, I think people are overstating how much playing time Doryan is going to get.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
To be clear, Doryan is not a top 100 recruit. He is somewhere in the 150 range. He and Sutton are also both not physically developed. The difference is that Sutton is not a low post player and has some ball handling skills that would work well as a four in our offense. So, I can see Sutton being in the rotation a lot more than Doryan, who is going to have to adjust to the physicality of ACC basketball. In others words, I think people are overstating how much playing time Doryan is going to get.

Baye Ndongo was no. 172 as a recruit on 247 and Doryan was no. 151 on the same site. He also is heavier than Baye. No one really knows how they are going to turn out until they start playing.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
He's smooth on the handle, fluid in his movement and has a soft release on his shot.

The thing is, post play in the ACC is PHYSICAL. That will be the big adjustment, can he execute that stuff being bumped and leaned on by ACC sized bodies?

If he is ready for that and can defend and rebound, we are really on to something.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
He's smooth on the handle, fluid in his movement and has a soft release on his shot.

The thing is, post play in the ACC is PHYSICAL. That will be the big adjustment, can he execute that stuff being bumped and leaned on by ACC sized bodies?

If he is ready for that and can defend and rebound, we are really on to something.

Mike Tyson an American boxer and philosopher said “Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face” We will have to see how Doryan handles the bumps.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I won't argue with any of that.

As for Sutton, I am admittedly heavily biased in my favoring players with high game IQ and court awareness. Those are the guys who make the players around them better, are less susceptible to defensive breakdowns and facilitate good team offense. Maybe my take on his tape is wrong, but I think he may play right away, skinny though he may be.

As for Onwuchekwa, if he is a legit 6'10" and 235lbs then he would fill a need based on size alone. So, I suspect he gets a chance to play. Whether he is ready or not is another matter.

The central off-season debate is crystalizing: What is the greater need: having a 4 that can hit the three and maintain spacing or a post defender with adequate size to defend the rim?

The concern with Ndongo at the five is that he is smallish for a 5. We were not a good defensive team last year (Gt was ranked #265 out of 353 teams last year in defensive efficiency). Not all of that is on post defense but we were not good.

The concern with Ndongo at the 4 is that his failure to hit outside shots will allow defenses to sag and inhibit offensive efficiency. Is it really true that he can't shoot?

Personally, I look at Ndongo as Chris Bosh-lite. He is Bosh-ish. Bosh-y. The way I look at it, if you can't make that work at the 4, then you are not trying hard enough. But if no one else can competently play the 5 this year, then the debate is moot once again.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Full line substitutions? florida state method? they usually go pretty deep into their bench- i like mutomobo to match up against baba miller- while thinking of florida state btw
Going back a ways, but does anyone remember “the Posse” at Tulane? They were in the midst of a true rebuild but I remember they’d substitute entire “lines” and each played a different style. Starting five played pretty straight up ball for the first five minutes.
The second line was “the Posse” and those five would just flat get after it; relentless pressure and pushed tempo.
Then back to starters, more half court, traditional ball again.
It was fun to watch.
That one was born more of necessity, however. We’re not quite there.

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He and Sutton are working out at Swain. This kid will cause havoc against foes. Can’t imagine he doesn’t get plenty of minutes.

I certainly hope you are right, but I don't want to get all tied up in the idea he will be another Ndongo. All the moves Swain is teaching him are good, but there is no defender in that gym.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Ill settle for another Ben Lammers. Happy compromise.

tic
Playing with house money, eh Cone?

Poker GIF by AllIn

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Going back a ways, but does anyone remember “the Posse” at Tulane? They were in the midst of a true rebuild but I remember they’d substitute entire “lines” and each played a different style. Starting five played pretty straight up ball for the first five minutes.
The second line was “the Posse” and those five would just flat get after it; relentless pressure and pushed tempo.
Then back to starters, more half court, traditional ball again.
It was fun to watch.
That one was born more of necessity, however. We’re not quite there.
Dean Smith did something similar with his "Blue team". Entire team was substituted and those 5 really got after it on both ends. Usually just a few minutes but changed the tempo and rested his starters. I think many of them were walkons.