GT Hoops General Topics

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't know how this will play out, I will be surprised if Powell sits.

Doryan was a 4* HS player with a decent 3-point shot. Mutombo is a spot player. Right now we don't know how these young men fit with the plans CDS has for this team. Does this offense need an old school 5? I have my doubts.

Just based on videos and stats, I believe Powell and O'Brien split most of the minutes with Ndongo as the 4/5 combo until we see how Doryan, Souare, Sutton, and Mutombo work out. Maybe someone will shine in August and September, then slide into the rotation with solid practices in the Fall. There only 80 minutes to share. Someone(s) will likely be disappointed. It will be a sign of trouble if we see any of this group at the 3.

Oh, I forgot about Kirouac. Is he ready to play?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't know how this will play out, I will be surprised if Powell sits.

Doryan was a 4* HS player with a decent 3-point shot. Mutombo is a spot player. Right now we don't know how these young men fit with the plans CDS has for this team. Does this offense need an old school 5? I have my doubts.

Just based on videos and stats, I believe Powell and O'Brien split most of the minutes with Ndongo as the 4/5 combo until we see how Doryan, Souare, Sutton, and Mutombo work out. Maybe someone will shine in August and September, then slide into the rotation with solid practices in the Fall. There only 80 minutes to share. Someone(s) will likely be disappointed. It will be a sign of trouble if we see any of this group at the 3.

Oh, I forgot about Kirouac. Is he ready to play?
No, Kerouac will not play.

Let's break this down. We have three players who are definitely going to start, George, McCollum and Ndongo. I believe one of Mustaf, Reeves, and Terry will be the third starter on the wing with the other two getting plenty of minutes off the bench. That leaves one starter left.

What is more likely, that O'Brien, Powell, and Sutton split time at the four while Baye plays the five or Doryan and Mutombo split the five while Baye plays the four? Let me make this easy. Only one of those scenarios makes sense in our offense.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I agree Ndongo gets the most minutes of all the bigs; but mainly at the 4. Keep in mind there is only one basketball, so a 5 who mainly plays defense with a few put backs still works.
We 100% disagree. I believe Ndongo is the primary big guy on the court most of the time without anyone who is actually an old school center on the court.

He will get rest breaks and some matchup breaks but he will be our primary big again this year in my opinion.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We 100% disagree. I believe Ndongo is the primary big guy on the court most of the time without anyone who is actually an old school center on the court.

He will get rest breaks and some matchup breaks but he will be our primary big again this year in my opinion.
If Ndongo is the primary big it will not be by design. It will be because no one stepped up. Last year’s lineup was out of necessity and that may end up being the case again this year but I don’t believe CDS decided to just waste scholarships on other bigs. He wants more options. But, like last year, the players will determine the lineup by how they perform.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
If Ndongo is the primary big it will not be by design. It will be because no one stepped up. Last year’s lineup was out of necessity and that may end up being the case again this year but I don’t believe CDS decided to just waste scholarships on other bigs. He wants more options. But, like last year, the players will determine the lineup by how they perform.
Good discussion. I bellieve we will have 2 4's on the court. Ndongo and a PF

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Just because he is not wasting scholarships on a couple of bigs does not mean they are in line to start. Having some bigs with varying skills on the bench only makes the roster more well rounded and allows you to man up better against teams with different roster constructions.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I don’t see CDS’ offense regularly having an old school big who simply plays on the low post. His offense is based on 3 point shooting and driving to the rim. If one of the other bigs can run a pick and roll near Nfongo’s level, which is elite for a college player, than that big will get playing time.

The offense needs guys who can hit 3s. I don’t see Ndongo becoming a 35% 3 point shooter this year nor any of the other bigs being able to do that.

Early season we will see lots of combinations sorting out who are the most productive players.

As LMJ has said Ndongo, George and McCollum are locks. There will be battles for the other 2 spots. Reeves has a clear inside track on one spot as he has a season with CDS under his belt.

I believe fewer players will play the 35+ minutes we saw our guys play last year. Ndongo likely gets the most minutes as his skill set is both unique on the team and he plays at a very high level.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t see CDS’ offense regularly having an old school big who simply plays on the low post. His offense is based on 3 point shooting and driving to the rim. If one of the other bigs can run a pick and roll near Nfongo’s level, which is elite for a college player, than that big will get playing time.

The offense needs guys who can hit 3s. I don’t see Ndongo becoming a 35% 3 point shooter this year nor any of the other bigs being able to do that.

Early season we will see lots of combinations sorting out who are the most productive players.

As LMJ has said Ndongo, George and McCollum are locks. There will be battles for the other 2 spots. Reeves has a clear inside track on one spot as he has a season with CDS under his belt.

I believe fewer players will play the 35+ minutes we saw our guys play last year. Ndongo likely gets the most minutes as his skill set is both unique on the team and he plays at a very high level.

I have confidence tha CDS will work out his preferred lineup over the summer. As most have said Ndongo, George, and McCollum are locks to start. Reeves is probably a starter also. Ndongo will average over 30 minutes at the 4 and 5 positions in contested games. We have seven players that might get some minutes at the 4 or 5.

With Baye at the 4, Powell, Onwuchekwa, and Mutombo are the bulkiest three choices for the 5. Onwuchekwa and Mutombo are enrolled for summer session to display their skills. Doryan Onwuchekwa's quickness and 3 point shooting will likely win out. I think Powell enrolls in the fall. His experience, strength, and quickness will prevail if Onwuchekwa falters. Mutombo will be used when inside muscle is needed. Cole Kirouac will have limited minutes, if any.

Souare, and Powell are traditional fours. Ibrahim Souare has more quickness to guard 3 point shooters. Duncan Powell has more strength. Luke O'Brien and Darrion Sutton are potential stretch fours. Both are great at cutting to the basket. O'Brien is bulkier, and a better 3 point shooter. Sutton is a great passer who probably play small forward.

A lot depends on Ndongo's 3pt shooting. If Baye's shooting improves, Onwuchekwa or Powell will play the five. If not, O'Brien will often start at the four.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
Mustaf, Sutton & Onwuchekwa are highly rated CDS recruits giving him a top 15- 2024 class. Unless any of them are a total bust, they will see plenty of minutes. First, they are not going to learn how to be competitive at this level by sitting on the bench & watching others play. Second, a coach who gets a reputation for not playing freshmen will struggle to recruit top classes. Third, CDS has already proven he can develop freshman and play them successfully, which in turn contributed to this year’s highly rated class. Why screwup what he’s already accomplished in year one? Fourth, the only chance that a program that cannot compete in the transfer portal with big NIL $ has to be successful is an ability to be run by a head coach that knows how to evaluate 3* & 4* HS talent and has a top notch reputation in the recruiting network of coaches, HS elite leagues, prep schools & AAU ranks that leads to the right introductions with the best young players & their parents

For now, HS recruiting is the key to GT basketball future and CDS already has a head start on next year, particularly with Fleming. This does not mean the program cannot find success in the portal. McCollum & O’Brien were great catches after misses on others. Powell’s injuries hindered him from reaching expectations. Maybe he will prove early career evaluators were correct. And Mutombo will make important contributions as an experienced team guy at least off the court and possibly surprise us on the court under tutelage of CDS & staff.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Mustaf, Sutton & Onwuchekwa are highly rated CDS recruits giving him a top 15- 2024 class. Unless any of them are a total bust, they will see plenty of minutes. First, they are not going to learn how to be competitive at this level by sitting on the bench & watching others play. Second, a coach who gets a reputation for not playing freshmen will struggle to recruit top classes. Third, CDS has already proven he can develop freshman and play them successfully, which in turn contributed to this year’s highly rated class. Why screwup what he’s already accomplished in year one? Fourth, the only chance that a program that cannot compete in the transfer portal with big NIL $ has to be successful is an ability to be run by a head coach that knows how to evaluate 3* & 4* HS talent and has a top notch reputation in the recruiting network of coaches, HS elite leagues, prep schools & AAU ranks that leads to the right introductions with the best young players & their parents

For now, HS recruiting is the key to GT basketball future and CDS already has a head start on next year, particularly with Fleming. This does not mean the program cannot find success in the portal. McCollum & O’Brien were great catches after misses on others. Powell’s injuries hindered him from reaching expectations. Maybe he will prove early career evaluators were correct. And Mutombo will make important contributions as an experienced team guy at least off the court and possibly surprise us on the court under tutelage of CDS & staff.
I agree that the three freshmen will get minutes. It may be harder for Sutton unless he shows up big This Fall.

CDS also needs to win early because the conference games will be to tough this year.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

CDS played a lot of different guys last year. This year we have eight guards and wings that will get minutes until they play themselves out of the rotation. Early in the season, we may utilize 10 or more players in a contested game.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
CDS played a lot of different guys last year. This year we have eight guards and wings that will get minutes until they play themselves out of the rotation. Early in the season, we may utilize 10 or more players in a contested game.
If they are as good as the coaches and they think they are, coach should be able do usually play ten players a game all season and peak at tournament time. That way the team will be less fatigued and can work around injuries from the regular season. And there is less likelihood of players transferring to get playing time.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If they are as good as the coaches and they think they are, coach should be able do usually play ten players a game all season and peak at tournament time. That way the team will be less fatigued and can work around injuries from the regular season. And there is less likelihood of players transferring to get playing time.

Eh, it sounds good on paper but it would be a very rare circumstance to play that many players that many minutes and be successful.

yjfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Full line substitutions? florida state method? they usually go pretty deep into their bench- i like mutomobo to match up against baba miller- while thinking of florida state btw

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
There’s old expression dating back to the 18th century, “The Best Laid Plans of Mice & Men Often Go Awry”. It must have been meant for men playing & mighty mice coaching basketball. Practice, scrimmage, scout, plan & speculate all day, every day. Then injuries, illnesses, foul trouble & academics suddenly throw wrenches. It’s good to have a roster deep with talent.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
The way it looked to me last season is that Stoudamire gave everyone a chance to play and he allowed them to play their way OUT of the rotation. When a guy played his way out of the rotation, he never really got back in. Sometimes that was early in the season (Abram, Dowuona) and sometimes it was later in the season (Sacko).

I predict we will see the same thing this season. He will go deep into the bench and give guys a legit look, even an occasional start. For the young players, that may be later in the season. If they prove that they are "his" guys, they will play. I don't think Stoudamire cares if he has a deep or shallow rotation, he just wants to play guys who will run through walls for him and each other every game.

I agree with spdrama, you don't recruit top 100 talent and then not play them. Mustaf, Sutton and Onwuchekwa will play a lot unless they are busts, which seems unlikely.

I maintain that Onwuchekwa is the pivotal guy. He's got scoring skills but the key is if he can defend the post at this level. If they can get him ready to do that, then there is much more flexibility / versatility in this lineup. If not, Ndongo carries a very heavy load this season. which is a bit precarious.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
The way it looked to me last season is that Stoudamire gave everyone a chance to play and he allowed them to play their way OUT of the rotation. When a guy played his way out of the rotation, he never really got back in. Sometimes that was early in the season (Abram, Dowuona) and sometimes it was later in the season (Sacko).

I predict we will see the same thing this season. He will go deep into the bench and give guys a legit look, even an occasional start. For the young players, that may be later in the season. If they prove that they are "his" guys, they will play. I don't think Stoudamire cares if he has a deep or shallow rotation, he just wants to play guys who will run through walls for him and each other every game.

I agree with spdrama, you don't recruit top 100 talent and then not play them. Mustaf, Sutton and Onwuchekwa will play a lot unless they are busts, which seems unlikely.

I maintain that Onwuchekwa is the pivotal guy. He's got scoring skills but the key is if he can defend the post at this level. If they can get him ready to do that, then there is much more flexibility / versatility in this lineup. If not, Ndongo carries a very heavy load this season. which is a bit precarious.
Excellent post. I agree.