GT Hoops General Topics

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I am confused about Yeti's line of thinking here:

Having a relationship with a vendor = inappropriate relationship = sexual assault?

Coaches can't have private relationships without it being inappropriate? Gt can potentially be humiliated by a relationship that Damon Stoudamire had 5 years before being Gt employee? Yeah, I don't get it.

The cutting edge of any of this is sexual assault. Was there sexual assault? The rest is merely tasteless gossipy fluff.

I see it as a thing we'd prefer not to be out there. But, at the end of the day, there shouldn't be anything here we shld be worried about. It's just an annoyance, even in today's hypersensitive landscape.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Not so sure in the current climate.
The law is the law. We have a well founded judicial system to handle criminal and civil complaints. Justice is imperfect and that has been recognized since the time of Socrates and Plato. But the justice system has been refined for over eons to be a sensitive, adaptable and balanced as can be.

But, by "current climate," you mean the extra-judicial courts of public opinion and the modern social media empowered lynch mobs of "cancel culture?" Well, that is only valid when we accept that as okay, that we let our organizations accept that as okay by bending to those mob forces. And I do not.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

Having a relationship with a vendor = inappropriate relationship = sexual assault?

Coaches can't have private relationships without it being inappropriate? Gt can potentially be humiliated by a relationship that Damon Stoudamire had 5 years before being Gt employee? Yeah, I don't get it.

The cutting edge of any of this is sexual assault. Was there sexual assault? The rest is merely tasteless gossipy fluff.
As I understand it… and I am frequently wrong, ask my wife….
Rampant speculation follows…

The progression of events in the Mel Tucker deal is the problem. Tucker is using a “but he did it too” defense in a desperate attempt to get his contract bought out.

There are obvious differences between Tucker and Stoudamire, particularly that the tucker complaint was brought by the woman who was victimized and CDS victimized no one.

Tucker claimed it was a relationship and it was all consensual, making the complaint a classic “he said, she said.”

MSU responded by saying basically, we don’t care one way or another if it was consensual, the relationship was wrong and is grounds for dismissal.

Tucker is responding by saying exactly what you’ve laid out above; unless the assault is proven, there should be no issue with a person having a private relationship. He went on to point to CDS as an example.

As others have said above, there is little chance (based on what we know so far) that anything will come back to CDS, but now that he is named in this garbage, it has to be dealt with. It is a distraction and a cloud we sure as heck don’t need.

The real issue is that Tucker had an ENORMOUS contract and he hasn’t been succeeding at a level to justify it. The cynic in me says that if he were winning games, MSU may have done more due diligence on the assault claim. Regardless of that hypothetical, Tucker WASNT winning and it seems like MSU was looking for “cause” to get rid of him.

At the end of the day, Tucker wants his millions and MSU doesn’t want to pay the millions. With this much money on the line, it will get ugly and its unfortunate that we’ve been drawn into it, even if we on the distant periphery of it.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

No, whether what happened during the phone call was sexual assault or not is completely irrelevant outside of MSU's internal investigation that is mostly meaningless now that Tucker has been fired. You can not have an undisclosed relationship with a vendor, it's a huge conflict of interest and is Corporate 101 DO NOT DO THIS. Had Tucker disclosed the relationship prior, he would very likely still have a job and MSU would likely be defending him instead.

The only reason CDS is relevant is because he too had a relationship with someone and then hired them to do work, so you have potentially the same conflict of interest. We don't have all the details in CDS' case - maybe the relationship was while he was at a prior job to when he asked BT to come speak to his team, maybe he informed his employer about the relationship prior to hiring her, we don't know. But it's not something you want to even dabble in, so my hope is that Batt has reiterated to CDS explicitly what is/isn't allowed to make sure we don't end up dealing with a similar situation.

If anyone still isn't understanding, go watch The Office season 5 episode 3 "Business Ethics".

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
As I understand it… and I am frequently wrong, ask my wife….
Rampant speculation follows…

The progression of events in the Mel Tucker deal is the problem. Tucker is using a “but he did it too” defense in a desperate attempt to get his contract bought out.

There are obvious differences between Tucker and Stoudamire, particularly that the tucker complaint was brought by the woman who was victimized and CDS victimized no one.

Tucker claimed it was a relationship and it was all consensual, making the complaint a classic “he said, she said.”

MSU responded by saying basically, we don’t care one way or another if it was consensual, the relationship was wrong and is grounds for dismissal.

Tucker is responding by saying exactly what you’ve laid out above; unless the assault is proven, there should be no issue with a person having a private relationship. He went on to point to CDS as an example.

As others have said above, there is little chance (based on what we know so far) that anything will come back to CDS, but now that he is named in this garbage, it has to be dealt with. It is a distraction and a cloud we sure as heck don’t need.

The real issue is that Tucker had an ENORMOUS contract and he hasn’t been succeeding at a level to justify it. The cynic in me says that if he were winning games, MSU may have done more due diligence on the assault claim. Regardless of that hypothetical, Tucker WASNT winning and it seems like MSU was looking for “cause” to get rid of him.

At the end of the day, Tucker wants his millions and MSU doesn’t want to pay the millions. With this much money on the line, it will get ugly and its unfortunate that we’ve been drawn into it, even if we on the distant periphery of it.
The only thing I will add is that it is extremely poor form to share someone else's indiscretions in public to draw attention away from yourself. That is definitely a bro code violation by Tucker.

slugboy

Staff member
I’ve learned a couple of things about legal matters
  • Have a good lawyer
  • If you don’t know something, shut up
  • If you do know something, shut up unless your lawyer tells you otherwise
  • If your lawyer says you need to talk, do a dry run first
  • Unless you’re involved, you don’t understand the case.
  • If you are involved, you still might not understand the case

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I’ve learned a couple of things about legal matters
  • Have a good lawyer
  • If you don’t know something, shut up
  • If you do know something, shut up unless your lawyer tells you otherwise
  • If your lawyer says you need to talk, do a dry run first
  • Unless you’re involved, you don’t understand the case.
  • If you are involved, you still might not understand the case
The number of knuckleheads who speak freely to cops without a lawyer is astounding. I have been pulled in to talk to the cops on several occasions and never have I gone without a lawyer regardless of whether I have done anything wrong or not. They always ask my why i have a lawyer and I tell them I never speak on the record to the police without legal representation. They try to tell me that it is a sign of guilt and I say it is a sign of intelligence.

slugboy

Staff member
The number of knuckleheads who speak freely to cops without a lawyer is astounding. I have been pulled in to talk to the cops on several occasions and never have I gone without a lawyer regardless of whether I have done anything wrong or not. They always ask my why i have a lawyer and I tell them I never speak on the record to the police without legal representation. They try to tell me that it is a sign of guilt and I say it is a sign of intelligence.

How many frequently do people say something that’s, in retrospect, wrong or stupid or maybe both?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Isn’t CDS married though? Or am I wrong?
Yes, since 2006 according to the internet. Again, we don't have many of the details on that side - maybe his wife already knows and they worked it out, maybe they are into that, maybe he and his wife are estranged like Tucker claims about his, who knows, but it's generally not a good look and not something you want to see in a major representative of your school.

slugboy

Staff member
This stuff is just messier and messier ...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/brenda-tracy-granted-restraining-order-000253494.html

Sounds like the messages were released from the phone of the deceased wife of one of the co-defendants? And they were heavily redacted but chose not to redact CDS's name. Smh, that's messed up.
I read that article, and what I draw out of that is that (1) Staudamire dated the woman in the 90’s and again a few years ago (2) she doesn’t claim any harassment from Staudamire (3) Mel Tucker and his lawyers seem to be saying “she’s dated another coach, so she’s into coaches, so what Tucker did wasn’t harassment”.

I also see that they’re going to take a deposition from him—or try to—and the courts could end up excluding all of this.

I don’t see anything so far that affects him coaching here.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I read that article, and what I draw out of that is that (1) Staudamire dated the woman in the 90’s and again a few years ago (2) she doesn’t claim any harassment from Staudamire (3) Mel Tucker and his lawyers seem to be saying “she’s dated another coach, so she’s into coaches, so what Tucker did wasn’t harassment”.

I also see that they’re going to take a deposition from him—or try to—and the courts could end up excluding all of this.

I don’t see anything so far that affects him coaching here.

I agree with everything except your spelling of Stoudamire. ;)

I dont think we have anything to worry about. It just stinks they (Tucker's camp) decided to drag his name out unnecessarily.