GT Hoops Assistant Coaches Hot List

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think Swartz is a lock for one position. There are several Pastner has talked to for the other spot. He wants someone with experience working with guards. Don't forget we have director of ops position to fill too. I think that will be someone from GA either high school or aau scene.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m all in for Mario for the other permanent spot. Experience working with guards- CPJ has checked that one off- “He’s real good on the (practice-court) floor,” Pastner said of West. “Especially being a full-time coach, you can guard guys, be in the drills with them. That’s a big plus. When he’s not in that role, he’s not able to do that. I want to take advantage of that while he can.” Bring in Huff to replace either Swartz or Mario and hire Ish for the other spot.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Um Mario West just got drafted in the Big 3 league. How can he be an assistant and recruit while playing in a basketball league?

CharlotteJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Um Mario West just got drafted in the Big 3 league. How can he be an assistant and recruit while playing in a basketball league?
You'd have to think the schedule won't impact any of his GT responsibilities and he got it approved before joining/being drafted. It's basically 8 weekends from June-August and I can't imagine there's really any practicing outside of that given it's street ball-style.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
You'd have to think the schedule won't impact any of his GT responsibilities and he got it approved before joining/being drafted. It's basically 8 weekends from June-August and I can't imagine there's really any practicing outside of that given it's street ball-style.

July is a pretty important recruiting period so it'll depend on what the actual Big 3 schedule is.

I imagine this was approved prior to the staff shake-up. I wouldn't be surprised if 'something' else happens soon which will result in West not being in a recruiting role. Just my hair-brained 2 cents.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
July is a pretty important recruiting period so it'll depend on what the actual Big 3 schedule is.

I imagine this was approved prior to the staff shake-up. I wouldn't be surprised if 'something' else happens soon which will result in West not being in a recruiting role. Just my hair-brained 2 cents.

This.. It all but assures us that he will not be the full-time assistant. If he were, he'd be on the road every weekend at the AAU events, locked in our top targets.

My guess that his work in Ops role can still be done in parallel to this role.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Other names that are off the table

Here's the game schedule
upload_2018-4-13_9-21-52.png

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I fully expect West to go back to his ops role.
If you assume Swartz gets one asst spot the other one is likely going to go to a guard coach with some previous asst experience.

I can't see GT promoting 2 guys with no previous asst experience.

I'd love to see the hires get done and announced, but I also suspect Pastner has been influenced by how the first staff was assembled. He and MBob took a long time to make sure they got it right. We know any guys are going to be interviewed by not just Pastner but also Todd Stansbury and Marvin Lewis so that will naturally slow the process down. As long as they get a good group of 3 that complement each other and work well together i'm not overly concerned. At least we have a full complement of coaches on the road.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
If you assume Swartz gets one asst spot the other one is likely going to go to a guard coach with some previous asst experience.

I can't see GT promoting 2 guys with no previous asst experience.

I'd love to see the hires get done and announced, but I also suspect Pastner has been influenced by how the first staff was assembled. He and MBob took a long time to make sure they got it right. We know any guys are going to be interviewed by not just Pastner but also Todd Stansbury and Marvin Lewis so that will naturally slow the process down. As long as they get a good group of 3 that complement each other and work well together i'm not overly concerned. At least we have a full complement of coaches on the road.
Agreed. And it's not like these are interim guys that will be gone from the program in the next few months. Sure, their roles may be fluid, but, at this time, their employer is not.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
That doesn't sound good to me. He shouldn't play in this if he's and assistant

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If you assume Swartz gets one asst spot the other one is likely going to go to a guard coach with some previous asst experience ...

The rumored Shinn hire fits. Timing also fits considering, if he has indeed been hired, GT takes like 17 weeks to make any kind of hire. IOW, the lack of news doesn't trouble me so much. It's quite likely in the process at this point (assuming it's true).

Another interesting note is the April Fool's Day news of that guy from Cleveland State coming to GT. I've been checking their board (yes, there's a CleSt message board) and they seem to be indicating that coach is no longer at Cle St. Most likely he was simply interviewed by GT and was leaving there anyway. JMHO