GT@Home vs Belmont

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe it's just me over analyzing things but we seem, or at least to me it seems, we give up a lot of open looks from 3. Get out on there shooters and leave Ben in the paint. He drifted out of the lane a few times Tuesday trying to pick up an open shooter in the corner. Luckily IU couldn't hit.
Scary game coming up (but preferred over a trip to Athens) - if Belmont gets open looks they can shoot it ... they will shoot likely 30+ 3's anyway so the matchup zone won't see a lot of time in this one. Best way to defend them is tight man to man on the perimeter (don;t leave your man to help as everyone they have can shoot threes) and leave Lammers to handle anything that gets by them. They do have good post player, but Lammers has size advantage and has good chance to limit him with no help. This will be first team in a while where we likely have athletic advantage (size/quickness) at most spots.

Most similar team we played this year was Wofford (back in December)- we did guard the three and they kept shooting them anyway ... a couple of their guys got hot in streaks and kept it really close. From what I remember from being at that one is we just outscored them (which we can't do very often) - we shot over 50 percent.

I like our chances, but this is not going to be an easy game ... need to get to 65 at least on offense. I expect Belmont will pack the lane and make us beat them in transition (they won't send many to offenseive glass) or from outside.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I expect we will see alot of zone, but one similar to what we played against IND. It will be an extended zone that goes well out beyond the 3-pt line and leaves Lammers in the paint to patrol there.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Looking at the NCAA schedules it would appear the likely NCAA games going on around the same time as the GT game are
winner of MI/OKST vs winner L'ville/Jacksonville St
winner of SMU/USC vs wiiner Baylor/NM ST

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the NCAA schedules it would appear the likely NCAA games going on around the same time as the GT game are
winner of MI/OKST vs winner L'ville/Jacksonville St
winner of SMU/USC vs wiiner Baylor/NM ST
I really hope Michigan loses to Ok St.
1. Because hate Michigan. And 2. I'd be stuck watching us play on a small tv at sports bar I go to if they're playing.

slugboy

Staff member
I was a little stunned to see the Belmont win. That has to sting for UGA. I saw that's about as big a seeding difference as us vs. Indiana--think they're feeling like "I can't believe we lost to those guys"?

I think we were close to Indiana's worst matchup--strong D, lots of blocks. For Belmont, I don't know if we match up well. Outside shooting teams are tough on us.

Deleted member 2897

I was a little stunned to see the Belmont win. That has to sting for UGA. I saw that's about as big a seeding difference as us vs. Indiana--think they're feeling like "I can't believe we lost to those guys"?

I think we were close to Indiana's worst matchup--strong D, lots of blocks. For Belmont, I don't know if we match up well. Outside shooting teams are tough on us.

Of course, we could lose to anybody, but I like our chances at home and with this much time to gameplan.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wasn't surprised Belmont won, even before finding out Maten and Parker didn't play.
They won the OVC regular season title for the 9th time in 12 years. They are a really good team that unfortunately got upset in their conference tourney.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
The UGA fan base must really be embarrassed. As of almost noon today, there still isn't anything on ajc.com about the game last night.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Scary game coming up (but preferred over a trip to Athens) - if Belmont gets open looks they can shoot it ... they will shoot likely 30+ 3's anyway so the matchup zone won't see a lot of time in this one. Best way to defend them is tight man to man on the perimeter (don;t leave your man to help as everyone they have can shoot threes) and leave Lammers to handle anything that gets by them. They do have good post player, but Lammers has size advantage and has good chance to limit him with no help. This will be first team in a while where we likely have athletic advantage (size/quickness) at most spots.

Most similar team we played this year was Wofford (back in December)- we did guard the three and they kept shooting them anyway ... a couple of their guys got hot in streaks and kept it really close. From what I remember from being at that one is we just outscored them (which we can't do very often) - we shot over 50 percent.

I like our chances, but this is not going to be an easy game ... need to get to 65 at least on offense. I expect Belmont will pack the lane and make us beat them in transition (they won't send many to offenseive glass) or from outside.

Belmont's coach is the anti-Gregory/anti-Hewitt. He recruits white guards who can shoot. If they are on, they can put a scare into anyone--they gave UK a scare a couple of years ago. We have to defend the 3 and use superior athleticism at guard to win.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
The UGA fan base must really be embarrassed. As of almost noon today, there still isn't anything on ajc.com about the game last night.

their was even an article as to WHY the dwags should watch their game in the ajc. guess what. through the entire article there was NO mention of how one could watch it. dohhhhhhh. i had to google the game to find it. yes i watched it. i always enjoy seeing the dwags lose.

and whats more.... while reading one of our articles a dwag posted that he had to read about the uga game in the gt article. snicker. poor macon bigmac dwag.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
their was even an article as to WHY the dwags should watch their game in the ajc. guess what. through the entire article there was NO mention of how one could watch it. dohhhhhhh. i had to google the game to find it. yes i watched it. i always enjoy seeing the dwags lose.

and whats more.... while reading one of our articles a dwag posted that he had to read about the uga game in the gt article. snicker. poor macon bigmac dwag.

Here's the last Uncle Lou video about the future of UGAG head coach Mark Fox

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
Sorry if this is a duplicate, found this mentioned to baseball fans on ramblinwreck.com. There is a marathon in town on Sunday. The road closures could impact your travel to campus Sunday morning. I have no other info.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...016-17/misc_non_event/Publix_Marathon_Map.pdf

I'm running the half-marathon that morning. I'll have about two hours to get home (Atlantic Station), shower, and walk to the game.

Both the full and half marathons enter the Tech campus via the 5th street bridge, then go south on Techwood Dr to North Ave where they turn to the west. 10th Street west of the interstate should be unaffected, but I recommend avoiding 10th and Spring. The lane closures around the Tech campus won't reopen until 1:15pm or later.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

There isn't much of a gap in NIT teams, except for maybe 1s vs 8s.