GT-FSU Postgame thread

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes. We played FSU their closest game and they had to play their best game to beat us. If they had played their usual slloppy game, or even made just a couple of crucial mistakes, we win. Great game Jackets. You brought out the best in both teams.
If they had made even one mistake, they'd have lost. It was a flawless game played by the 'Noles, and personally, I can't wait for the rematch next season!

worthco jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
You really think so? Have you not watched Alabama the past 2 games?
Alabama has given up something like 9 throws of over 40 yards in the past 2 games alone. One thing that is inarguable....Jameis Winston can spin it. I think if Alabama and FSU win their first round games, you'll see Winston have a field day throwing down field versus Bama.
Yep, I really do think so. "Bama will not give him all day to throw those crossing patterns and their defensive backs will shut down Greene. He can "spin it" as you say but not flat on his back and he has shown a marked tendency to make bad decisions under pressure. (see Florida game)

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yep, I really do think so. "Bama will not give him all day to throw those crossing patterns and their defensive backs will shut down Greene. He can "spin it" as you say but not flat on his back and he has shown a marked tendency to make bad decisions under pressure. (see Florida game)
Lack of pressure on the QB was the only thing between us and undefeated this year. It is the truth.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Well, here is to hoping we get our D Squared away again during the break.. We saw a huge improvement in the second half of the season.. Hopefully we keep trending up

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Can't add much. Eric said it all in the first post. Will only add this:

I think you should take one of your kickers who isn't your best (maybe the 3rd string guy) and make him the designated onside guy. His job would be nothing but onside kicks and have him work only on that every day and become really good at it.

The technique we are using (and everybody else) is low probably of success. A better technique is to lay the ball flat, with the points of the ball facing the sidelines. Then twist it about ten degrees and kick it very hard near one end. Aim to split two receivers. That ball runs all over the place as it is violently spinning and usually bounces off the first person to grab at it. (the first guy almost never gets it!) Its a much less predictable trajectory and gives the kicking team a higher percent of success. I had 25 years of success with this technique and would not even consider the tradional tecnique which rarely works.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Do you think these two could have been worth an additional two points?

georgia_tech_vs_florida_state_0885.jpg

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If they had made even one mistake, they'd have lost. It was a flawless game played by the 'Noles, and personally, I can't wait for the rematch next season!

Best game Jameis played all season....and of course he saves it for us. Still, tells you how good GT is if FSU played a flawless game on O, and their Heisman QB played his best games all season...we were still only a field goal away from winning.

On top of that, our D gave them two gimme blown coverage TDs. So close, man!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We have to stop saying they were flawless on offense, that sounds like sour grapes. They made plenty of mistakes, just none that were game changing. I can think of one that would have been had we ended up winning: that pass in the endzone where the FSU receiver stopped running and Winston put the ball right on the money. They ended up kicking a field goal and got 3 instead of 7.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Anyone review the tape on this one? I thought Devine showed some things that some of our OLs haven't been able to do on a consistent basis because they don't have the size and physical skillset Devine has. It was just NASTY at times.

On Laskey's TD, Devine straight up mauled FSU's DE...oh, who happens to be a former 5 star Recruit...Mario Edwards. Devine didn't try to cut Edwards to the ground, he straight up beat Edward's a$$. Had Devine not tripped on his teammate, Edwards would probably still be laying on the field right now.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Anyone review the tape on this one? I thought Devine showed some things that some of our OLs haven't been able to do on a consistent basis because they don't have the size and physical skillset Devine has. It was just NASTY at times.

In the 3rd quarter (just before our touchdown), he pulled out and flat out demolished a Linebacker in the backfield. Put him on the ground like a rag doll. I love watching that stuff.

/

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
And the great things is we should be able to watch it for several more years. The fact is that Tech can compete with the elite and everyone, knows it.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Quick notes from watching the game. My notes:
1st half:

Lots of slips contributing to missed tackles. Rain a factor for us, didn't see much on fsu, but wasn't looking for it.

Slow, halfhearted safety response

Why did clock run at 19 seconds

Why lbs staying back 15 yards after handoff, huge gaps in the middles

3 and 15 b back give? After 2 stops up the middle?

2nd half:

No response to right side shifts on 1st pos, but we scored anyway

What happened to the o after? Seemed like we couldn't block worth a dang

Most of the Waller / Thomas miscommunication was from Waller seeing a bigger play, while JT was passing the route.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Best game Jameis played all season....and of course he saves it for us.
This was not some bitter twist of fate that hangs like a cloud over GT. It wasn't luck. It wasn't even playing the odds. He played a great game because our DL couldn't get in the same zip code as the offensive backfield.

Getting zero pressure on the reigning Heisman trophy winner and getting knocked two yards off the ball on running plays isn't exactly a recipe for success on defense.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
We have to pass more even when the run, run, run is working. Especially when they start loading up to stop the run. But we need to mix it up so they don't know when we are going to pass. I also think it adds some to the confidence of the passer and JT5 is good and accurate and has shown he does not throw a lot of Interceptions.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We have to pass more even when the run, run, run is working. Especially when they start loading up to stop the run. But we need to mix it up so they don't know when we are going to pass. I also think it adds some to the confidence of the passer and JT5 is good and accurate and has shown he does not throw a lot of Interceptions.

Assuming the defense improve;
In addition to passing before absolutely necessary, we need to substitute before absolutely needed.
In games where we have more margin for error, we should have preset plays for our NEWLY recruited and talented true freshman.

We did this more and more each game with Devine (power plays to left in second and third quarters - seemed to go in when across 50) and he did great in acc champ game. His block on fsu all american - 15 is classic. He is a one man double team!

This is good for recruiting , depth preparation, AND it gives the opponents defense or offense something else to prepare for as the year progresses.