GT-FSU Postgame thread

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Back at home and after about 3 hours of sleep I had to check out what y'all posted while we were driving back. So many of the comments echo my thoughts but I wanted to go ahead and let y'all know what I was thinking during the game as well as on the drive home.

First, this is team. Pure and simply they embody the true definition of TEAM! They never quit, they never back down and they go forward even when things are against them. As this season unfolded you could see it happening and last night, down by 9, I just knew they weren't done! We saw the effort and the grit, they did not lose they simply ran out of time! ;)

Both fanbases were loud and ready for their team to go out and handle their business, both teams did and the volume changes at the stadium reflected the ebb and flow of the game. I had more than one noles fan ask me how we managed to lose 2 games! The noles fans I interacted with were full for praise for our Jackets!

On the field the team more than acquitted themselves. They showed the college football world they can play with, and beat, anybody on college football. I dare say there are only maybe 2-3 teams that would have taken a win from the Jackets last night and they damn sure would have had to have brought their "A" game to do so!

Like the team I am disappointed but the future with our Jackets is the best I've know in my lifetime! Let's close out '14 with an *** whupping of our Orange Bowl opponent!!!

From a purely personal note I fulfilled a promise to my son last night and I am so thankful for him, my daughter and my wife!

GO JACKETS!!!!!!!!!!!!! STING EM"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought Roof made the adjustments that needed to be done in the 2nd half. We stopped them 3 times in a row. F$U is skrong.

While our defense often was reeling, think about this: The 'Nole were held to three field goals and no TDs in the second half, which Tech "won" 14-9. Yes, obviously FSU continued piling up the yards, but the Jackets defense at least forced 'em to kick field goals. Sadly, just one too many.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
HUGE thank you to all the GT fans that made the trek to Charlotte! I think the crowd was really 50/50.

I know I appreciated seeing such strong support by our fans and I have to think the players did too.

Extremely proud of these guys.

That damn tomahawk chop band riff made it sound like an FSU home game.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
FSU played their best game all season..very surprised there were no turnovers..Jameis played a very good game. Dalvin Cook is damn good. Couldn't be more proud of this Tech team. They have the most heart I've seen in any team.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
FSU offensive line was MVP. For much of the game we didn't even make him feel nervous. With that kinda time, he isn't going to throw us the ball. I don't know why we had to wait until the second half to start sending more rushers. The first half looked like the pre-UNC defense.

I saw our player slip down three or four times. None for them. Have no idea why.

We have come a long, long way in our 2 minute operation. It was beautiful to see us get that last touchdown. Showed that we can throw the ball.

So Winston is eligible to go pro after this season? I thought you had to play a certain number of years. I would love to see him gone next year.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the first half D was predicated on Winston's earlier first half struggles. I believe we may have wrongly assumed that with 7 in coverage he was more likely to throw the int.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Just waking up in our hotel her in Charlotte, about to hit the road to come back home. Can only echo the sentiments of most everyone else on the board. SO SO PROUD of these guys!! The way the stormed downfield 97 years to make people hold their breath at the end had to be impressive to any college football fan out there.

Our defense may have had something to do with the fact that FSU's offense looked so good and played so flawlessly. You need to pressure a QB to get some poor throws and picks, and our guys did everything they could do, but we could not generate pressure even when we brought 5 (and once 6). Wow, just wow. But I do believe we will get better and better on D, and with CPJ at the helm, and now with JT as his QB, I think our O will be fine.

What we don't know about next year is whether we can retain the chemistry these guys had. I think that was something special that does not show up in box scores. Derrick Moore talks about "heart", and this team had it in spades...which is what made them so special.

But that is what makes college football so special...we will just have to wait and see what happens next year.

THANK YOU YELLOW JACKETS!!! What a fabulous season!!!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Great post old J.
Watched the players and coaches between plays - you see they have grown close during the season. Guys got nicked up and got taped and tried to go 20 but couldn't - walked the sideline like a caged lion. 53 also with ankle - headed right over to coach to get back in.
Add to it the coaches have let these guys fail as individuals but grow better all year
This has made them a TEAM
No better example than 5 passing to 88. Between the plays subs give encouragement and advice. Basically COACH said yes you are my men in this game and I believe in you . Sure you have had several mix ups but the defense is giving us the sideline pass so throw it again ( no change of players) = touchdown by 88 after good catch of crisp throw by 5 and great run for TD. the Tom chop was silent as gt band goes crazy loud. Coach has 88 ready to play in bowl!

ybeenormal

Jolly Good Fellow
FSU offensive line was MVP. For much of the game we didn't even make him feel nervous. With that kinda time, he isn't going to throw us the ball. I don't know why we had to wait until the second half to start sending more rushers. The first half looked like the pre-UNC defense.

I saw our player slip down three or four times. None for them. Have no idea why.

We have come a long, long way in our 2 minute operation. It was beautiful to see us get that last touchdown. Showed that we can throw the ball.

So Winston is eligible to go pro after this season? I thought you had to play a certain number of years. I would love to see him gone next year.
I'm pretty sure Winston red shirted behind ej Manuel which means he is 3 years out of high school. I just hope my falcons don't decide to move on and draft this head case

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
We played one of the best teams in the country and the gap wasn't all that big. With a few recruiting classes like last years and this years is shaping up to be we will be in consideration for best team in the ACC for a while.

Okay serious question about the music FSU's band plays. We don't argue their music sounds very native american etc, we even use it in braves games. The question is where is that music from???? Natives didn't use horns. Is it a leftover from old western movies? One thing is for sure, FSU fans don't know

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
It did seem like the "best team in the nation" at times but I really think that Alabama will take this team to the wood shed.
You really think so? Have you not watched Alabama the past 2 games?
Alabama has given up something like 9 throws of over 40 yards in the past 2 games alone. One thing that is inarguable....Jameis Winston can spin it. I think if Alabama and FSU win their first round games, you'll see Winston have a field day throwing down field versus Bama.

DawgCatcher

Georgia Tech Fan
Great game, and the team never gave up. I still think the defensive coaches didn't have a good game plan going into the game, but the team played hard and it's been a blast watching them this year. Let's win the Orange bowl and have some momentum rolling into next year.

WHAT ON EARTH WAS TED ROOF DOING HAVING OUR SECONDARY PLAY A SOFT ZONE ALL NIGHT AGAINST A PROLIFIC PASSING OFFENSE??? You're never going to buy your pass rushers any time to collapse the pocket if you are running a soft zone pass defense. Why on Earth did Ted Roof run a Man-to-Man pass defense against UGA but not against FSU??? I CAN'T FOR THE LIFE OF ME UNDERSTAND WHY HE DID SUCH A THING???

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We played some tight man too. But the real difference was the FSU Oline. Winston had all day to throw whether we blitzed or not. Put DBS on islands and blitz, and get no pressure...toast. The gameplan worked better in the 2nd half but still not as good as we needed. Their O is the best we faced all year by far. UNC did a number on us too but they have half the O FSU does.