Gt football trending upward?

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
It's been my observation for many, many years that college football goes as the QB goes. If you have a special QB, you'll have a special season. If you have a so-so QB, you'll have a so-so year. Think of all the years we've excelled, it's because we had someone special under center.

John Dewberry (beat uga 2x)
Shawn Jones (beat uga 2x)
Joe Hamilton (beat uga 2x)
George Godsey (beat uga 3x, 1x as a starter)
[Josh Nesbitt] - (beat uga) different kind of special, but still special
Justin Thomas (beat uga)

Compare these results to

Todd Rampley
Tommy Luginbill
AJ Suggs
Reggie Ball
Vad Lee

edit: fixed the wins

Last edited:

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
It's been my observation for many, many years that college football goes as the QB goes. If you have a special QB, you'll have a special season. If you have a so-so QB, you'll have a so-so year. Think of all the years we've excelled, it's because we had someone special under center.

Joe Hamilton (beat uga)
George Godsey (beat uga 2x)
Justin Thomas (beat uga)

Compare these results to

Todd Rampley
Tommy Luginbill
AJ Suggs
Reggie Ball
Vad Lee
Joe beat the dwag twice. 3 times without bull**** PI call. Godsey only once.

I think it's amazing how one year changes the whole outlook of the Program. There was no question that CPJ was going to be fired if we had won 6-7 games including UGA. Here we are a year later talking about making the CFP.
I have had my own issues concerning Johnson but I will admit that he does better with limited options that the Instutite gives.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's funny. I feel like we have been on a bit of an upward trend ever since Johnson got here. Even in our down years we were very competitive and mostly found ways to lose late when we did come up on the short end. We were rarely dominated. I really like the results of last year and I agree JT and the OL have given us a boost. I am really more concerned with how we play, rather than our record, when considering what trend we are on. Records don't tell the whole story. Pretty much every year since CPJ's second recruiting class, the roster has gotten deeper and deeper with quality talent. At times, maybe the top end of the depth chart wasn't quite as dominating, but the total overall roster speed and athleticism has gradually improved. The glaring holes are pretty much gone.

If anything is finally on an upward trend, I would say it is with the stability and quality of the coaching staff more than anything. Roof especially has proven to be a great hire. Last year, in my view, was a somewhat predictable outcome that was bound to happen given the points made in paragraph one. Having another good year in 2015 will be too. Records will be what they will be, but this team will be a really tough out for EVERYBODY on the schedule.

I agree about looking at play and not just WL. By that standard, it's clear cpj has maximized outcomes from our O talent.

Otoh, I'm still unsure about our D. IIrc, every opponent out performed their season yds/play and pts/drive against us. So, I'm not sure Roof maximized outcomes from our D. I hope he proves my doubts unfounded this year.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree about looking at play and not just WL. By that standard, it's clear cpj has maximized outcomes from our O talent.

Otoh, I'm still unsure about our D. IIrc, every opponent out performed their season yds/play and pts/drive against us. So, I'm not sure Roof maximized outcomes from our D. I hope he proves my doubts unfounded this year.
This is how I look at the CTR situation. While I understand the numbers you have presented and agree with them as the best tool to numerically evaluate our actual strength as a defense, I keep thinking about our DL manpower issues and where we might have been had Roof NOT been our coach. From watching the sequence of games we have played during his tenure, it is apparent to me that we are on an upward trend. Positioning, tackling, and general level of effort have all improved under his watch. He didn't create the void on DL, but he did help mitigate the impact. Our defense has a ways to go. I agree wholeheartedly, but I also feel we are decidedly heading in the right direction.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think it's amazing how one year changes the whole outlook of the Program. There was no question that CPJ was going to be fired if we had won 6-7 games including UGA. Here we are a year later talking about making the CFP.
I have had my own issues concerning Johnson but I will admit that he does better with limited options that the Instutite gives.
It's never as good or as bad as it seems

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer

Justin Thomas (beat uga)

Compare these results to

Todd Rampley
Tommy Luginbill
AJ Suggs
Reggie Ball
Vad Lee

I think we need to quit defining the success of the season by whether we win that single game. It's great when we do, but I think making that one three hour block so important has done nothing to help us.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I hear so many people saying the offense will take a step back, the defense will be our feature unit. While I do think the defense will be MUCH improved, I just don't see us taking much of a step backwards on offense. I see a stud, proven QB who matured incredibly over the course of 2014. Smoov knows how to win. I see young guys at WR who have the potential to be what we need them to be. I see a strong, upper-class offensive line littered with copious amounts of experience. I've seen PJ roll in AB after AB after AB and BB after BB after BB since 2008 without any true drop off. If I've learned anything in PJ's tenure, it's this: QB play and offensive line strength are the primary catalysts for our offense. We have both, and we will continue to thrive. With an improved defense, top 30, I'd reckon, we will win 10+ games and push for more, even with our brutal schedule. Saddle up, nerds, it's going to a hell of a ride.
You forget the time when our perimeter blocking was abysmal or how our receivers couldn't catch a cold and how that both conditions stopped the offense in it's tracks.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

Justin Thomas (beat uga)

Compare these results to

Todd Rampley
Tommy Luginbill
AJ Suggs
Reggie Ball
Vad Lee

It's been my observation for many, many years that college football goes as the OL goes. If you have a special OL, you'll have a special season. If you have a so-so OL, you'll have a so-so year. Think of all the years we've excelled, it's because we had a special OL. Most people believe it's the QB because, when they watch a game, they only watch the ball.

Note that 3 of the QB's on your good list played for Friedgen. While Ralph was an outstanding QB coach, he was an even better OL coach.

Shaq Mason was the best guard I've seen in 40 years of watchiing GT FB. The most imporant position on the OL in this offense is OG. People who believe he won't be missed are simply wrong.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I think we need to quit defining the success of the season by whether we win that single game. It's great when we do, but I think making that one three hour block so important has done nothing to help us.
Those who want to limit the importance of the game do so because we don;t win often enough. It effects in state recruiting (and those adjacent) quite a bit, it affects fanbase morale, it affects ticket sales, it affects the attitude of the team going into the bowl game & the next season and I could go on.

Second point I want to make is we're putting a great deal of burden on the QB. I'm not saying it's not the most important position on the team because it is, I'm just saying even Lil' Joe's immense talent & experience under center could not overcome whatever ailed the team his senior year. Certainly he was a gamer, but there's only so many miracles one man can pull off before the law of averages catches up with you. We could have been 8-5 maybe even 7-6 last year if the ball bounces the wrong way or if we had 1 more unfortunate injury. We also could have been as good 13-1 or if you're a real dreamer 15-0.

That being said, it's nice going into the season with high expectations. On the bad side, I am not looking forward to the time next season when reality does not meet expectations and the teeth gnashers come back out in force.

Like every other year, I'll be there each game to the end. Go Jackets!

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
You missed my point, entirely. The result of the uga game was parenthetical to how the team performed under the leadership of the QB.
It's been my observation for many, many years that college football goes as the OL goes. If you have a special OL, you'll have a special season. If you have a so-so OL, you'll have a so-so year. Think of all the years we've excelled, it's because we had a special OL. Most people believe it's the QB because, when they watch a game, they only watch the ball.

Note that 3 of the QB's on your good list played for Friedgen. While Ralph was an outstanding QB coach, he was an even better OL coach.

Shaq Mason was the best guard I've seen in 40 years of watchiing GT FB. The most imporant position on the OL in this offense is OG. People who believe he won't be missed are simply wrong.
I'm not discounting OL play, because it's essential for good QB play. However, if you watch college football, the success of the team (in W/L column) is highly dependent on the quality of the QB, much moreso than in the Pros. An average QB can hurt you if given enough time by a good OL, but the right QB can make a mediocre line look like giant-killers.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Those that wanted Johnson fired before last year were IMO delusional. They just wanted an offense that looked like the Big Boys' offenses even if we lost games with it. Had a close Clemson friend tell me after they beat us in 2013 that we had to get rid of Johnson, we were never gonna get the good players in that offense, it was a killer on our defense, etc, etc. I asked him what he was going to say when we kicked their butt in Atlanta the next year. Answer - he didn't say anything when we kicked their butts last year. And he will again act like he doesn't remember that conversation when we kick their butts this year.

Like Boomergump said, Johnson has been slowly filling the holes we had personnel wise at player and coach. On that score, he stayed with Sewak longer than I would have, and he was right to. The OL coach had something to work with last year finally, and it was amazing. Like another poster said, Mason developed into the best OG I have seen at Tech. Burden and Joe were horses, too by the end of the season. The recruiting and redshirting have become more effective and balanced. People say CPJ is stubborn, but we have seen him change players, their positions, and coaches many times when something wasn't working. He is stubborn about his offense, and I hope he stays that way. I, too, have more hope now about football than I've had since I was a boy in the 50's and 60's.

How do we ever win a MNC given our circumstances and the fact that we will never get the 5 star looking for an NFL career and not an education? We can't do it the way other teams do. What do we say to the Bamas, OSUs, ugas, and USC's of the world that laugh at our offense, our recruiting, and our stadium The answer is obvious:

"What we do have is a very particular set of skills, skills we have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make us a nightmare for people like you. We will look for you, we will find you, and we will kill you."

And that is what Johnson has brought to us.

Those that wanted Johnson fired before last year were IMO delusional. They just wanted an offense that looked like the Big Boys' offenses even if we lost games with it. Had a close Clemson friend tell me after they beat us in 2013 that we had to get rid of Johnson, we were never gonna get the good players in that offense, it was a killer on our defense, etc, etc. I asked him what he was going to say when we kicked their butt in Atlanta the next year. Answer - he didn't say anything when we kicked their butts last year. And he will again act like he doesn't remember that conversation when we kick their butts this year.

Like Boomergump said, Johnson has been slowly filling the holes we had personnel wise at player and coach. On that score, he stayed with Sewak longer than I would have, and he was right to. The OL coach had something to work with last year finally, and it was amazing. Like another poster said, Mason developed into the best OG I have seen at Tech. Burden and Joe were horses, too by the end of the season. The recruiting and redshirting have become more effective and balanced. People say CPJ is stubborn, but we have seen him change players, their positions, and coaches many times when something wasn't working. He is stubborn about his offense, and I hope he stays that way. I, too, have more hope now about football than I've had since I was a boy in the 50's and 60's.

How do we ever win a MNC given our circumstances and the fact that we will never get the 5 star looking for an NFL career and not an education? We can't do it the way other teams do. What do we say to the Bamas, OSUs, ugas, and USC's of the world that laugh at our offense, our recruiting, and our stadium The answer is obvious:

"What we do have is a very particular set of skills, skills we have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make us a nightmare for people like you. We will look for you, we will find you, and we will kill you."

Hell, yeah. Preach it, brother !!!

I can agree with your post but again, it's amazing how one season can change the view of the program. If some of you think Tech is going to win 10+ games a year then your delusional. CPJ is a good coach and he understands what Tech is. That's always a plus in my book.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Those who want to limit the importance of the game do so because we don;t win often enough. It effects in state recruiting (and those adjacent) quite a bit, it affects fanbase morale, it affects ticket sales, it affects the attitude of the team going into the bowl game & the next season and I could go on.

Second point I want to make is we're putting a great deal of burden on the QB. I'm not saying it's not the most important position on the team because it is, I'm just saying even Lil' Joe's immense talent & experience under center could not overcome whatever ailed the team his senior year. Certainly he was a gamer, but there's only so many miracles one man can pull off before the law of averages catches up with you. We could have been 8-5 maybe even 7-6 last year if the ball bounces the wrong way or if we had 1 more unfortunate injury. We also could have been as good 13-1 or if you're a real dreamer 15-0.

That being said, it's nice going into the season with high expectations. On the bad side, I am not looking forward to the time next season when reality does not meet expectations and the teeth gnashers come back out in force.

Like every other year, I'll be there each game to the end. Go Jackets!
It does all those things? I guess we'll see whether ticket sales go up this year, though I would expect they will anyway simply because the home schedule is more compelling (no $99 season tickets this year). I don't believe it affects recruiting at all, but even if it does, it's only marginal. As for the effect it has on the team, I've heard it both ways. In 2008, the team had a hangover from beating UGA; this year it was what spurred them. All that tells me it's a post hoc narrative people attach to try to make something that happened make sense. About the only thing I agree on is that it has a huge effect on fan morale, and that's been my issue the whole time. The likelihood that we win half of our games against them over a large sample is remote, simply because they have every conceivable advantage over us. Steve Spurrier, when he got to South Carolina, worked hard to reduce the importance of the Clemson game. In that state, they're us. It has worked like a charm. Obviously, there's more to their recent success than just that, but it's the starting point. We could stand to take a lesson from the master.