Gt football trending upward?

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
Nope, didn't say it, didn't imply it. I have no idea who left or why. Lee's departure was a godsend for everybody, one of those rare win-win episodes. I think early on I thought, and wrote I believe, eight wins would be a good year and all above it gravy. I suppose, then, it was a better team, not worse, after they left. Just saying that when people leave, we need to know who and what their contributions had been, and realistically would they have played better to judge the plus/minus of it. And exactly what the "problems" were. I don't know if there were or what they were. Johnson more than intimated some internal stress and "leaders" not buying in, but whether they departed had anything to do with it I don't know. Personally I much prefer the 90% player who gives you 100% than the 100% guy who gives 90%.
um, we did know who. if you didn;t know it, it means you weren't paying attention to the team personnel. in one offseason we lost:
Vad Lee - Starting QB. We can talk all we want about not being a good fit, but he beat out JT and as far as we knew, would have started again.
Jabari Hunt Days - Monster D lineman. Would have been a huge asset to the team last year.
K. Whitehead - Didn't leave the program but was academically ineligible. Pass rusher that we needed.
Anthony Autry - WR - Smelter and Waller stepped up but we were not all that deep at WR.
Darius Commissiong - another DL, the weakest spot on our team.
Travin Henry - another DE.
Myles Autry - 4* A back who left when his bro got booted.
Morgan Bailey - OL - fortunately we were fairly deep on OL but Bailey would have played a lot.
Kevin Robbins - another DE
Travis Custis - possibly best BB recruit in CPJ's tenure
Anthony Williams - another DE
Justin Akins - another DT
Ty Griffin - backup QB would not have played but with Vad leaving we were uncertain on QB.
Nick Menocal - another DE/OLB
Jimmie Kitchen - another DE, likely contributor, maybe even a starter

your DL doesn't get better by removing 9 bodies form the position. people who were concerned had very good reason to be concerned. it worked out... we're all grateful for that. JT stepped up, Laskey and Days stepped up, the secondary stepped up. But the DL was still not good and thus, the defense was not good.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
um, we did know who. if you didn;t know it, it means you weren't paying attention to the team personnel. in one offseason we lost:
Vad Lee - Starting QB. We can talk all we want about not being a good fit, but he beat out JT and as far as we knew, would have started again.
Jabari Hunt Days - Monster D lineman. Would have been a huge asset to the team last year.
K. Whitehead - Didn't leave the program but was academically ineligible. Pass rusher that we needed.
Anthony Autry - WR - Smelter and Waller stepped up but we were not all that deep at WR.
Darius Commissiong - another DL, the weakest spot on our team.
Travin Henry - another DE.
Myles Autry - 4* A back who left when his bro got booted.
Morgan Bailey - OL - fortunately we were fairly deep on OL but Bailey would have played a lot.
Kevin Robbins - another DE
Travis Custis - possibly best BB recruit in CPJ's tenure
Anthony Williams - another DE
Justin Akins - another DT
Ty Griffin - backup QB would not have played but with Vad leaving we were uncertain on QB.
Nick Menocal - another DE/OLB
Jimmie Kitchen - another DE, likely contributor, maybe even a starter

your DL doesn't get better by removing 9 bodies form the position. people who were concerned had very good reason to be concerned. it worked out... we're all grateful for that. JT stepped up, Laskey and Days stepped up, the secondary stepped up. But the DL was still not good and thus, the defense was not good.
Whitehead wasn't academically ineligible. He had to sit out a year, because he didn't finish the ridiculous amount of coursework he would have needed to complete to graduate from Georgia Military College, and thus sat out last season per NCAA transfer rules

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
Whitehead wasn't academically ineligible. He had to sit out a year, because he didn't finish the ridiculous amount of coursework he would have needed to complete to graduate from Georgia Military College, and thus sat out last season per NCAA transfer rules
did he play? no.

was it because of something academic as opposed to injury or discipline? yes.

sounds like academically ineligible to me, even if not by ncaa definition.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
a
did he play? no.

was it because of something academic as opposed to injury or discipline? yes.

sounds like academically ineligible to me, even if not by ncaa definition.
Nope. Wasn't academically ineligible. He wasn't eligible because of the NCAA transfer rules. It had nothing to do with academics. By your definition, any transfer student would be considered academically-ineligible, and I don't think you'd find many associated with a university or athletic association that would agree with your definition.

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
nothing to do with academics? He didn't graduate from GMC so he couldn't transfer and play immediately. If he'd graduated, he would have been eligible immediately. How is graduation not an academic matter?

no, he didn't make bad grades, but his plan was to graduate GMC and play immediately. he failed to do so, so he had to sit like any other transfer.

is there anything more you'd like to nitpick out of my post? did I spell anything wrong?

GTFLETCH

Banned
If you want to have a [semi]rational discussion about GT sports, you're in the right place and welcome. But if your intent is to "call people out" or stir up crap, then this isn't the place for you. There's plenty of opposing opinions on this board, so it's not all sunshine and lollipops, but this ins't the place to get aggressive with other posters. Move the conversation forward by your insight and contributions or find somewhere else to just "rant."

Many of the people on this board are here because they got tired of internet bullies thumping their chest on other boards.

Not trying to be an internet bulley.... my [semi]rational discussion is this..." GT football has been trending upward ever since CPJ got here!! 1 Peach bowl, 2 Orange bowls...3 ACC Title games...1 ACC Title.... 2 wins over UGA.... I am tired of so called GT fans who are negative about our team and coach....

Now do you forensicbuzz have a comment or did you just need me to clarify my opposing opinion about all the CPJ/GT Football doubters....

forensicbuzz

nothing to do with academics? He didn't graduate from GMC so he couldn't transfer and play immediately. If he'd graduated, he would have been eligible immediately. How is graduation not an academic matter?

no, he didn't make bad grades, but his plan was to graduate GMC and play immediately. he failed to do so, so he had to sit like any other transfer.

is there anything more you'd like to nitpick out of my post? did I spell anything wrong?
If you're referring to me, I didn't comment on your original post. I fully understood why Whitehead wasn't eligible. My comment was to your second post because I found it misleading. He was not academically-ineligible at Georgia Tech. To say otherwise is playing with words.

forensicbuzz

Not trying to be an internet bulley.... my [semi]rational discussion is this..." GT football has been trending upward ever since CPJ got here!! 1 Peach bowl, 2 Orange bowls...3 ACC Title games...1 ACC Title.... 2 wins over UGA.... I am tired of so called GT fans who are negative about our team and coach....

Now do you forensicbuzz have a comment or did you just need me to clarify my opposing opinion about all the CPJ/GT Football doubters....
I agree with you that GT Football is trending up.

No one called you an internet bully. I merely suggested that if your sole purpose of posting was to "rant" or to "call people out," that this wasn't the forum for you. Disagree with my posts about GT sports all you like; we're here to promote discussion, not shut it down. But bring something contructive to the discussion.

Rants and call-outs tend to polarize, as opposed to creating a rigorous discussion of a topic. I'd say most on this board are here for the GT sports talk, not to read pages of jabs and bickering. I won't comment about this further in the open thread, but I'd be more than happy to discuss it with you in a side conversation. Just click on my avatar and send me a note.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck

I wouldn't consider what I did to be nitpicking. You made an error saying that he was academically ineligible. He wasn't. Using your logic, as mentioned above, that places all transfer students as academically ineligible, which is simply false. He was ineligible because he transferred, and in accordance with NCAA rules, all transfer students (should they not graduate) must sit out a year before becoming eligible to play.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I am not even sure what everyone is arguing about anymore.

Is the issue that Tech lost a lot of players during the off season last year? No one disputes that.

Did it mean CPJ was not doing a good job coaching? After last season only an idiot would suggest that.

Did losing all of those players hurt the team? Absolutely not. It is clear now that this was addition by subtraction. Several "attitudes" left the team which left the team much tighter and the most cohesive and united since CPJ has been at Tech.

Did we know this at the time before the season began? Of course not.

Have we learned anything about how CPJ runs his program? Only if one has eyes to see and ears to hear.