Gt football trending upward?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yes, get to where 8-9 is the norm with an occasional 11 or 12 win year. That works. We still play in a league where six wins are basically assured.

In the last 5 years, 2010-14, 13 ACC teams have had 6+ wins in conference per season. By comparison, there have been 22 SEC teams, 17 Big 10 teams, 18 Big 12 teams, and 20 Pac12 teams. Of the Power5 conferences, the ACC is the league where 6 wins is least assured.

I'm not making a statement about the relative strengths of the conferences but the relative parity, which is what assurance of wins reflects.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I did not go to Tech but have been a fan since my first trip to Grant field some time in the early 70s. A guy named Pat Sullivan led Auburn over the Jackets 14-6 I believe. Like all of us I bleed white and gold. There have been great times and a lot of not so great times but I'm as optimistic as I believe I have ever been for our future. I love CPJ, CTR and the rest of our staff. We have more continuity than we've had in a while in our staff and in the climate of college football today I believe that is the most important thing for GT. We are not going to continually out recruit the factories but we can compete with the guys we recruit. Who knows maybe our high school offense will become the next cool thing thanks to players like JT.Just compete for the ACC most years and at least even it up against the dwags and I'll be happy. One of these years maybe we hit the jackpot like we did in 90 you never know.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Two things really look good for short and medium term success.JT has 2 more yrs (and JHD is eligible). We had a very good recruiting yr which will mean a lot in next 2-3 yrs anyway and maybe before..It sure would have been nice if Ratliffe had not been hurt as the QB is VITAL to us esp..
It remains to be seen if we can be not just a conf power but a national factor in future.

GTFLETCH

Banned
For so long gt football has been a roller coaster. One year we look great, the next not so much. Nothing has been consistent, except our inconsistency. Recruiting, players "want to" and even the color gold on our uniforms LOL has been something we just can't get solid at on a consistent basis. Why is this? Are we trending upward in all aspects of our football team? In my personal opinion I believe we have a great coaching staff that will be here for a long time. I also believe our recruiting is getting better and better. The way you play in a year affects recruiting so much, and that's why I think we have been so up and down. Now we seem to be getting the guys with a true drive to be great at the game, and have embraced gt football (something else we have struggled at). Thomas has been a huge key to our success, and having him two more years is going to do nothing but help our team grow Imo. If we can have our d step up this year that could be a huge advantage to us growing as well. I have a lot more to say about this subject but it's yalls turn now. What do Yall think? Will we keep being a roller coaster or will be be a consistent 9+ Win team? What do we need to accomplish so that we can be that consistent program?

I hope you are not a HOMER, I hate CPJ guy....Bottomline GT Football is what it is.... But with Joe Hamilton we had a great few seasons.... With JT we will also....If you think GT will be a national powerhouse yearin and yearout in regards of CFPs...you are wrong...We will be in the ACC HUNT and always have been under CPJ.. nuff said

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I hope you are not a HOMER, I hate CPJ guy....Bottomline GT Football is what it is.... But with Joe Hamilton we had a great few seasons.... With JT we will also....If you think GT will be a national powerhouse yearin and yearout in regards of CFPs...you are wrong...We will be in the ACC HUNT and always have been under CPJ.. nuff said
I don't recall saying we would be a national championship team year in and year out, nor did anything I say insinuate that.I was just getting the options of others. My personal opinion is that we can be a consistent 8 to 9 win team, and that's better than the past.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I don't recall saying we would be a national championship team year in and year out, nor did anything I say insinuate that.I was just getting the options of others. My personal opinion is that we can be a consistent 8 to 9 win team, and that's better than the past.
Edit: national powerhouse.

GTFLETCH

Banned
What Past are you talking about? GT has always been a 8 win team.... Are you talking about the few years under CPJ were we avg 7 wins? Or are you talking about Bill Lewis Year were we had 2 wins? The bottomline is under Paul Johnson we have won 11 Games twice, 9 Games once, 8 games once, 7 games twice and 6 game once.... Name another coach Post Bobby Dodd to have two 11 win seasons? You can't... Be thankful for CPJ and what he has done!!

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/georgia-tech/

GTFLETCH

Banned
Also all you guys who are not happy with GT Football think about this...

GT football has been to the Peach Bowl and two Orange Bowls since 2008....The dawgs...nothing...their last appearance in a "BCS/CFP" Bowl was when Matt Stafford was QB in 2007..... CPJ is doing a great job...

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
What Past are you talking about? GT has always been a 8 win team.... Are you talking about the few years under CPJ were we avg 7 wins? Or are you talking about Bill Lewis Year were we had 2 wins? The bottomline is under Paul Johnson we have won 11 Games twice, 9 Games once, 8 games once, 7 games twice and 6 game once.... Name another coach Post Bobby Dodd to have two 11 win seasons? You can't... Be thankful for CPJ and what he has done!!

I'm talking about not going under 8 wins, that's what I mean by consistent and I'm talking about under cpj. No where did I say I was thankful for cpj , And I didn't say we would be a national power house year in and year out. So BOTTOMLINE is you have missiterpeted everything I said.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Also all you guys who are not happy with GT Football think about this...

GT football has been to the Peach Bowl and two Orange Bowls since 2008....The dawgs...nothing...their last appearance in a "BCS/CFP" Bowl was when Matt Stafford was QB in 2007..... CPJ is doing a great job...

Dude, what is your deal? You've already been banned by one board today. Don't make it two.

Who the heck is not happy with GT football right now? I don't know what point you are trying to make. Jim Hart's board would be a great board to sign up for and make your points.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I'm talking about not going under 8 wins, that's what I mean by consistent and I'm talking about under cpj. No where did I say I was thankful for cpj , And I didn't say we would be a national power house year in and year out. So BOTTOMLINE is you have missiterpeted everything I said.
Ok so Post Bobby Dodd What Coach at GT has not gone under 8 wins? I have attached a link that list all of the coaches... I understand you did not say your were thankful for CPJ.... That is my point.... in 7 years CPJ has won more than eight games in 4 seasons.... That is better than anyone that has come after Bobby Dodd.... If you want to give Bobby Ross a pass because he won a NC....I am ok with that, so you either have to say CPJ is 2nd best after Bobby Ross or #1 in the Post Dodd Era..... And you are still wondering about going below 8 wins....REALLY???

GTFLETCH

Banned
Dude, what is your deal? You've already been banned by one board today. Don't make it two.

Who the heck is not happy with GT football right now? I don't know what point you are trying to make. Jim Hart's board would be a great board to sign up for and make your points.

I was banned on the stingtalk because folks do not like to get called out.... From August of 2013 till August of 2014, there were a ton of anti CPJ on the Board and no support for JT just disappointment that VL transferred...

I called them out because 1 year ago they were whimpering on the board, although most of those threads have been deleted (Prior to April 2014 are all deleted I suppose because we had a good year...admins realized how bad it looked to have 1/2 the board trashing the GT Head Coach who won 11 games in 2014)

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Ok so Post Bobby Dodd What Coach at GT has not gone under 8 wins? I have attached a link that list all of the coaches... I understand you did not say your were thankful for CPJ.... That is my point.... in 7 years CPJ has won more than eight games in 4 seasons.... That is better than anyone that has come after Bobby Dodd.... If you want to give Bobby Ross a pass because he won a NC....I am ok with that, so you either have to say CPJ is 2nd best after Bobby Ross or #1 in the Post Dodd Era..... And you are still wondering about going below 8 wins....REALLY???

I honestly don't know what point you have been trying to get across. You are not discussing anything from the thread I started. You obviously are misunderstanding me, or maybe it's me misunderstanding you idk.

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
threads don't get deleted on ST, you're just butthurt that you're wrong.

most people like CPJ and, if they had reservations about 2014, it was because of all the attrition. I hoped he'd coach at GT til he dies even before last season, but it doesn't matter who your coach is if that many people leave the program with eligibility remaining, it doesn't look good.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
I was banned on the stingtalk because folks do not like to get called out.... From August of 2013 till August of 2014, there were a ton of anti CPJ on the Board and no support for JT just disappointment that VL transferred...

I called them out because 1 year ago they were whimpering on the board, although most of those threads have been deleted (Prior to April 2014 are all deleted I suppose because we had a good year...admins realized how bad it looked to have 1/2 the board trashing the GT Head Coach who won 11 games in 2014)
If you want to have a [semi]rational discussion about GT sports, you're in the right place and welcome. But if your intent is to "call people out" or stir up crap, then this isn't the place for you. There's plenty of opposing opinions on this board, so it's not all sunshine and lollipops, but this ins't the place to get aggressive with other posters. Move the conversation forward by your insight and contributions or find somewhere else to just "rant."

Many of the people on this board are here because they got tired of internet bullies thumping their chest on other boards.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I hoped he'd coach at GT til he dies even before last season, but it doesn't matter who your coach is if that many people leave the program with eligibility remaining, it doesn't look good.
No dog in this fight for sure, but seems to me "with eligibility remaining" is about the same as the management advice I once heard about hiring: "You need to learn the difference between 10 years of experience and one year of experience 10 times." Eligible to continue playing as they had been?

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
No dog in this fight for sure, but seems to me "with eligibility remaining" is about the same as the management advice I once heard about hiring: "You need to learn the difference between 10 years of experience and one year of experience 10 times." Eligible to continue playing as they had been?
what are you trying to say? that they weren't good players and therefore it didn't hurt the team for them to be leaving?

are you implying that, when we had 14 players gone from a team that went 7-6, you thought everything would be just peaches the next season?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
what are you trying to say? that they weren't good players and therefore it didn't hurt the team for them to be leaving?

are you implying that, when we had 14 players gone from a team that went 7-6, you thought everything would be just peaches the next season?
Nope, didn't say it, didn't imply it. I have no idea who left or why. Lee's departure was a godsend for everybody, one of those rare win-win episodes. I think early on I thought, and wrote I believe, eight wins would be a good year and all above it gravy. I suppose, then, it was a better team, not worse, after they left. Just saying that when people leave, we need to know who and what their contributions had been, and realistically would they have played better to judge the plus/minus of it. And exactly what the "problems" were. I don't know if there were or what they were. Johnson more than intimated some internal stress and "leaders" not buying in, but whether they departed had anything to do with it I don't know. Personally I much prefer the 90% player who gives you 100% than the 100% guy who gives 90%.