Gt football trending upward?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
For so long gt football has been a roller coaster. One year we look great, the next not so much. Nothing has been consistent, except our inconsistency. Recruiting, players "want to" and even the color gold on our uniforms LOL has been something we just can't get solid at on a consistent basis. Why is this? Are we trending upward in all aspects of our football team? In my personal opinion I believe we have a great coaching staff that will be here for a long time. I also believe our recruiting is getting better and better. The way you play in a year affects recruiting so much, and that's why I think we have been so up and down. Now we seem to be getting the guys with a true drive to be great at the game, and have embraced gt football (something else we have struggled at). Thomas has been a huge key to our success, and having him two more years is going to do nothing but help our team grow Imo. If we can have our d step up this year that could be a huge advantage to us growing as well. I have a lot more to say about this subject but it's yalls turn now. What do Yall think? Will we keep being a roller coaster or will be be a consistent 9+ Win team? What do we need to accomplish so that we can be that consistent program?

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
IMHO, we've stepped up to the next level. We were a 7-8 win team for most of the last 20 years. I think we are now a 9-10 win team. That may not sound like a significant change, but it is. Higher average wins and lower standard deviation. Better bowls, better recruiting, better crowds, better media. Where we were a team that should be ranked in the 20-30 range with an occasional trip into the top 15, now we will be in the 12-20 range with an occasional top 5. And that puts us squarely in uga's neighborhood. I suspect the games we saw the last two years with uga will be the norm from now on. The next two years are crucial to cementing that, and I think we will. This year, we have to reload at A and B back. Next year we have to reload on Defense. If, if, if we can do that, then that demonstrates a steady flow of talent and coaching into the program which should shut down the roller coaster.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
IMHO, we've stepped up to the next level. We were a 7-8 win team for most of the last 20 years. I think we are now a 9-10 win team. That may not sound like a significant change, but it is. Higher average wins and lower standard deviation. Better bowls, better recruiting, better crowds, better media. Where we were a team that should be ranked in the 20-30 range with an occasional trip into the top 15, now we will be in the 12-20 range with an occasional top 5. And that puts us squarely in uga's neighborhood. I suspect the games we saw the last two years with uga will be the norm from now on. The next two years are crucial to cementing that, and I think we will. This year, we have to reload at A and B back. Next year we have to reload on Defense. If, if, if we can do that, then that demonstrates a steady flow of talent and coaching into the program which should shut down the roller coaster.

Good points. I see the measure of that upward trend to be how well we recruit this year. We are limited in numbers and that may be the reason the recruiting process this year is making me a little uneasy. We seem to be lagging a bit in rounding up top guys but that may be this year's process because of the low number of available schollys. I will fill better about our upward trend when we have several committed studs like the past two years. The other issue is QB. An "if" Ratliffe and watching Jordan struggle in the Spring puts more emphasis on Campbell and it will be a while before we can see Jet5's replacement. Otherwise things do look upward.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't take too many heavy bets on this. I also think we have a chance - if we can cement ourselves in the top 20 again - to move to a higher plateau. But that remains to be seen. We've gotten to this point before under Ross and O'Leary and seen our hopes dashed in the long run. I think Coach is better suited then either of his successful predecessors to overcome our disadvantages and he has the main ingredient to do so - JT.

So I hope you're right and I think there's good reason to be more optimistic going forward then before. But … the jury's still out.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't take too many heavy bets on this. I also think we have a chance - if we can cement ourselves in the top 20 again - to move to a higher plateau. But that remains to be seen. We've gotten to this point before under Ross and O'Leary and seen our hopes dashed in the long run. I think Coach is better suited then either of his successful predecessors to overcome our disadvantages and he has the main ingredient to do so - JT.

So I hope you're right and I think there's good reason to be more optimistic going forward then before. But … the jury's still out.

Both Ross and O'Leary had eyes elsewhere, continuity is so huge at a place like Tech where relationships have to be built and nurtured. As long as CPJ is here I don't foresee any significant regression.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I think one great year does not a trend make. We need to build on last season. That would make an upward trend.

bass ackwards

Georgia Tech Fan
As much as I enjoyed, and am still enjoying, last season's games, I'm not upping my expectations yet. It does appear that way, but there were a number of games that could have gone the wrong way last year only by a play or two to end up with the same typical long complain-filled offseason.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
As much as I enjoyed, and am still enjoying, last season's games, I'm not upping my expectations yet. It does appear that way, but there were a number of games that could have gone the wrong way last year only by a play or two to end up with the same typical long complain-filled offseason.
I agree, but there was also two games that could have gone the other way and made us undefeated during the regular season!

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I think the idea that we are going to be a consistent ten game winner is probably unrealistic. The nature of Tech football is that there will be peaks and valleys. The best coaches at Tech keep the valleys raised and reach the peaks a bit more regularly. Johnson's been here seven seasons, and two times he's put 11 wins on the board and his teams have been to two major bowl games (our last was in the 60's; UGA, by way of comparison, hasn't played in one since he's been here). If you told me today that he was going to be here for seven more and two of them would result in 11 wins, I'd sign up immediately.

All that said, we're winning ten more games this fall, maybe more.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Coach has turned the corner. Gone are the DC that did not get how to coach college kids. Gone are the small o linemen. Gone are the savior qb that almost bought into the offense. With the addition of one 5 star qb for our system we finished the season super strong playing team ball.
Will teams adjust to hold us back this year and flatten the upward trend? Yes some but not completely. We will loose some close ones but this year we will dominate (50-7 ish) some teams to finish about like last year.
This year our signature will be the defense. Our defense will get better and finish strong in the final games. I predict - it will help several coaches in ACC look for greener pastures.

I feel we will get a small but highly rated and defensively recruiting class to play in 2017 on a Jet5 offense and really make a step up - really special year.

I have waited a long time for this much hope on the flats.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
I hear so many people saying the offense will take a step back, the defense will be our feature unit. While I do think the defense will be MUCH improved, I just don't see us taking much of a step backwards on offense. I see a stud, proven QB who matured incredibly over the course of 2014. Smoov knows how to win. I see young guys at WR who have the potential to be what we need them to be. I see a strong, upper-class offensive line littered with copious amounts of experience. I've seen PJ roll in AB after AB after AB and BB after BB after BB since 2008 without any true drop off. If I've learned anything in PJ's tenure, it's this: QB play and offensive line strength are the primary catalysts for our offense. We have both, and we will continue to thrive. With an improved defense, top 30, I'd reckon, we will win 10+ games and push for more, even with our brutal schedule. Saddle up, nerds, it's going to a hell of a ride.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's funny. I feel like we have been on a bit of an upward trend ever since Johnson got here. Even in our down years we were very competitive and mostly found ways to lose late when we did come up on the short end. We were rarely dominated. I really like the results of last year and I agree JT and the OL have given us a boost. I am really more concerned with how we play, rather than our record, when considering what trend we are on. Records don't tell the whole story. Pretty much every year since CPJ's second recruiting class, the roster has gotten deeper and deeper with quality talent. At times, maybe the top end of the depth chart wasn't quite as dominating, but the total overall roster speed and athleticism has gradually improved. The glaring holes are pretty much gone.

If anything is finally on an upward trend, I would say it is with the stability and quality of the coaching staff more than anything. Roof especially has proven to be a great hire. Last year, in my view, was a somewhat predictable outcome that was bound to happen given the points made in paragraph one. Having another good year in 2015 will be too. Records will be what they will be, but this team will be a really tough out for EVERYBODY on the schedule.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
This may sound negative, but we lost three players to the draft and had several more udfas. Couple this with a very difficult schedule next year and it will be a significant challenge to repeat and improve upon our successes last year. The team has a lot of work this summer to make the fall more productive than what was a disappointing spring. Where there are challenges, there is opportunity.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Coach has turned the corner. Gone are the DC that did not get how to coach college kids. Gone are the small o linemen. Gone are the savior qb that almost bought into the offense. With the addition of one 5 star qb for our system we finished the season super strong playing team ball.
Will teams adjust to hold us back this year and flatten the upward trend? Yes some but not completely. We will loose some close ones but this year we will dominate (50-7 ish) some teams to finish about like last year.
This year our signature will be the defense. Our defense will get better and finish strong in the final games. I predict - it will help several coaches in ACC look for greener pastures.

I feel we will get a small but highly rated and defensively recruiting class to play in 2017 on a Jet5 offense and really make a step up - really special year.

I have waited a long time for this much hope on the flats.
EXCELLENT!!!!!!!