GT FANS

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow. I can a sure you that Nuke is not that way and think you took his post to heart.

There's one board that labels this board as a "kool aid drinking" board is smiling and laughing with delight at all this back-and-forth with our coaching, team and our own fans. Every team has good and bad fans. This board is better than that.

We won, enjoy it and let's hope we win many more.

Thanks Stinger, glad to hear from you. Beesball is coming. (y)

From my post (tic) means tongue in cheek which I meant to mean that I was kidding or joking. Actually engaging in hyperbole.
GT FANS

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It's obvious that a lot of the people growing tired of CPJ were not around in the 80s when we had the most miserable seasons in Tech history, with losing streaks to almost every team we played, and going 0-1-1 against Furman. Even last year's 3-9 season didn't compare at all to those miserable seasons, when we not only lost, but we weren't even competitive.

It was the valley of death. But, it did have 2 of my ten favorite games of all time ... Norte Dame 3-3 and Alabama 21-20.

The rest sucked. Let's never go back to that.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Hard to find any real old gold colors on any clothing or other GT paraphernalia.

Tech described the difficulty matching Old Gold across platforms and products. It doesn't reproduce consistently.

Ironically, I haven't seen them use Buzz Gold either. It is not really reflected in merchandising.

I had my boys at Yellow Jacket Alley yesterday. A man in his late 70s, who I've never spoken to before, came up and asked my 11y/o what Techs school colors are. To my prideful ears he says "white and gold" to which the old man says "then quit wearing navy!". Terrible ambassador for the Institute. My son was wearing a navy underarmor "protect this house" shirt with a GT logo that he'd picked out at the bookstore a few months back. Everyone at his middle school wears Walmart boodawg gear, but he loves this shirt and wears it frequently. GT fans who wish we had a larger fan base, sold more tickets, filled the stadium, etc need to make that change in the mirror before looking to others.
Maybe if the book store had offered the same shirt in the school colors, then he would have liked that as much, if nor more-so, than the one he wore.

What's your point? That because we were bad in the 80s that being mediocre 30+ years later should be tolerable? That is such a defeated mentality. Wow.
Regardless of last year and a slow start this year (hoping to finish strong), I don't consider an ACC championship (screw the NCAA) and two Orange Bowls (the first major bowls for Tech since the 50s) "mediocre." Do I want every year to be like 2014? Of course, I do, but where we are right now is as good as and, compared to the 80s, better than we have been since the 50s. With the exception of 1990, and a couple of years under O'Leary, we have been "mediocre" the majority of the time and probably will continue to be regardless of the coach, who could be a helluva lot worse than Johnson by a long stretch.

Tech described the difficulty matching Old Gold across platforms and products. It doesn't reproduce consistently.

Ironically, I haven't seen them use Buzz Gold either. It is not really reflected in merchandising.
IMO that's a cop-out by Tech. So just pick ONE shade of gold/yellow for fan products and stick with it and emphasize it. Pretty simple in my book.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
IMO that's a cop-out by Tech. So just pick ONE shade of gold/yellow for fan products and stick with it and emphasize it. Pretty simple in my book.

It is simple. I know. I ran visual identity programs earlier in my career. Tech has some of the worst merchandising I've ever seen. I'm not sure there is even a merchandising plan. Very inconsistent.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was listening to pregame of the Clemson game. Wes Durham even said Tech had to get rid of Russell. Said it was hurting recruiting and it was time for a change. Mentioned how Tech alone saved Under Armor from going under with a large order.

I had my boys at Yellow Jacket Alley yesterday. A man in his late 70s, who I've never spoken to before, came up and asked my 11y/o what Techs school colors are. To my prideful ears he says "white and gold" to which the old man says "then quit wearing navy!". Terrible ambassador for the Institute. My son was wearing a navy underarmor "protect this house" shirt with a GT logo that he'd picked out at the bookstore a few months back. Everyone at his middle school wears Walmart boodawg gear, but he loves this shirt and wears it frequently. GT fans who wish we had a larger fan base, sold more tickets, filled the stadium, etc need to make that change in the mirror before looking to others.
Damn, Mack, we can't take you anywhere.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The Ga S fans were very well behaved. I was completely surrounded by them. I did notice that many of them have the "GT arrive 10 minutes into the first quarter" habit.

I like to get there early to see warmups because it is the only chance to observe action by walkons, frosh RSs, and third stringers, many of which will be on the field in a year or two. When warmups started there were less than a dozen fans in the upper N stands. Most of the Ga S fans stayed until the mass exit at 3 minutes to go.

Animal02

Banned
It's obvious that a lot of the people growing tired of CPJ were not around in the 80s when we had the most miserable seasons in Tech history, with losing streaks to almost every team we played, and going 0-1-1 against Furman. Even last year's 3-9 season didn't compare at all to those miserable seasons, when we not only lost, but we weren't even competitive.
Yep.......they were 19-35-2 in my five years there.....including two years of on victory seasons. (without the extra year they it would have been 13-30-2........13 wins in FOUR years, But we did beat Bama in Birmingham 24-21

The Ga S fans were very well behaved. I was completely surrounded by them. I did notice that many of them have the "GT arrive 10 minutes into the first quarter" habit.

I like to get there early to see warmups because it is the only chance to observe action by walkons, frosh RSs, and third stringers, many of which will be on the field in a year or two. When warmups started there were less than a dozen fans in the upper N stands. Most of the Ga S fans stayed until the mass exit at 3 minutes to go.
GS fan sitting in front of me said that most of the GS fans there yesterday were alums living in Georgia who had come up for an impromptu reunion and had been out late drinking it up the night before. Pathetic excuse, but that was his take on it and his reason for not getting there on time for the KO

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow

Last year some guy in his 70s/80s (probably the same guy harassing your son) complained the whole game about the cheerleading uniforms having navy in them. He kept yelling (loud enough that the cheerleaders could hear him) that our colors were old gold and white.

Maybe somebody should tell him that we need to give up the 1990 national championship because our road uniforms were navy that year.

smh

FrostedOrange

Jolly Good Fellow
Last year some guy in his 70s/80s (probably the same guy harassing your son) complained the whole game about the cheerleading uniforms having navy in them. He kept yelling (loud enough that the cheerleaders could hear him) that our colors were old gold and white.

Maybe somebody should tell him that we need to give up the 1990 national championship because our road uniforms were navy that year.

smh
The guy I'm talking about had a lanyard that appeared to show he had special credentials for the game. He was wearing a non-"old gold" blazer and a gold fedora. I've seen him at yja before, he's a regular. Just be warned he's a jerk

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
He probably yelled "Hey you kids, get off my lawn" to some of the fraternities. No fool like an old fool. This from someone pushing 62.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The guy I'm talking about had a lanyard that appeared to show he had special credentials for the game. He was wearing a non-"old gold" blazer and a gold fedora. I've seen him at yja before, he's a regular. Just be warned he's a jerk

Do you think CPJ would punch him in the nose? ;)