GT fan attitude toward ND

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Are you saying a CU fan choked the chicken on the sidelines of a football game?

Shocked, I tell you. Shocked.
Before the turn of the 19th Century when much of the news was by telegraph key and newspapers built back to front, the daily newspaper in Wilmington, N.C. had a banner topping questionable items, "Interesting If True." This one is gangbusters even if it is a rumor. I hope he had the decency to take it home and cook it. Were they tailgating then?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Anyone else remember when we had the rats form 2 lines for our team to run through coming out of the locker room at the beginning of games. We were playing clemson. We were wsiting for the teams to come out. Their tiger mascot was about on the 50. Senior section started to chant "get the tiger" "get the tiger". Our freshmen took off after the tiger. They chased him down and they caught him at the far end of the field. One of our students came out of the pile and ran the length of the field holding the tiger tail above his head. The next year clemson brought their freshmen football team to guard the tiger. This must have been around 73 or 74 when I was a senior or grad student. Back then we played Clemson every year in Atlanta.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Anyone else remember when we had the rats form 2 lines for our team to run through coming out of the locker room at the beginning of games. We were playing clemson. We were wsiting for the teams to come out. Their tiger mascot was about on the 50. Senior section started to chant "get the tiger" "get the tiger". Our freshmen took off after the tiger. They chased him down and they caught him at the far end of the field. One of our students came out of the pile and ran the length of the field holding the tiger tail above his head. The next year clemson brought their freshmen football team to guard the tiger. This must have been around 73 or 74 when I was a senior or grad student. Back then we played Clemson every year in Atlanta.
The days when Hootie Ingram and Red Parker coached Clemson. Clemson would have lost to Atlanta area high school football teams in the 1970-1975 period.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
For a long time I’ve noticed much animosity here towards ND. So much so it even rivals hate directed at the mutts.

That said, I’ve also seen much appreciation for ND’s hospitality and game day experience from posters who’ve been to South Bend for recent games there. From my own experience, ND is easily the most welcoming and friendly opponent campus I’ve been to. In addition, the student body support/organization/activity before, during and after games is second to none.

My question is this: has your attitude towards ND changed over the last few years? And are the reasons for the hate and venom still valid?
Why do you LOVE Notre Dame so much? Why do fellow Southerners love the Dwags so much? Should we be tolerant and understanding to their misty-eyed sympathies? Are we anti-Catholic bigots if we don't love Notre Dame as much as you? If we have loyalty to the school and region we come from, why are Notre Dame fans bent on coming down here and questioning our motives on this issue? Seems a bit gauling.

Why should Tech fans love Notre Dame or forget our traditional rivalry with them? Because somebody moved down here from Chicagoland, and wants to make us their 2nd bestus team? And all my pals from St. Pius and Marist love Notre Dame. Frick y'all. My brother graduated from Tech in the 70s and threw fish at them. And he's the reason I'm a Tech fan. So, no, I will not 'respect' Notre Dame. Frick them and your Cubbies.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Mixed feelings about Notre Dame. Visiting South Bend a couple of years ago was SO refreshing after visiting SEC stadiums, it was a true delight. Their fans are simply great.

The school and football program itself has at times been classless (running up the score on us during Devine's years, loosening academic standards to become relevant again athletically...which I am mostly just jealous that GT won't do, etc)

So, I would root for ND over most teams because of their fan base...but there is a limit. They are still bit arrogant.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Why do you LOVE Notre Dame so much? Why do fellow Southerners love the Dwags so much? Should we be tolerant and understanding to their misty-eyed sympathies? Are we anti-Catholic bigots if we don't love Notre Dame as much as you? If we have loyalty to the school and region we come from, why are Notre Dame fans bent on coming down here and questioning our motives on this issue? Seems a bit gauling.

Why should Tech fans love Notre Dame or forget our traditional rivalry with them? Because somebody moved down here from Chicagoland, and wants to make us their 2nd bestus team? And all my pals from St. Pius and Marist love Notre Dame. Frick y'all. My brother graduated from Tech in the 70s and threw fish at them. And he's the reason I'm a Tech fan. So, no, I will not 'respect' Notre Dame. Frick them and your Cubbies.
You don’t know me, but I know enough about you from this post.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Not so much in response to this post, but it jogs an old memory. I remember watching a live radio broadcast from a restaurant in Birmingham. We were over there eating before the GT - bama game.

The 2 radio hosts were discussing all the games to be played later that day.

One host asked the other guy about the upcoming LSU vs. n.d. game. This guy, an old coach from bama whose name I can not recall, said “I don’t know much about the teams players or O & D schemes, but I guarantee that LSU has more Catholics on the sideline than n.d.”

Funny, at the time at least.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This thread has been enlightening. I get and appreciate rivalry in sports. It’s a good thing. It’s also ok to recognize and appreciate things done the right way even if done by your hated rival.

Btw, I get a kick out GT fans who are offended by someone running up the score.

Not so much in response to this post, but it jogs an old memory. I remember watching a live radio broadcast from a restaurant in Birmingham. We were over there eating before the GT - bama game.

The 2 radio hosts were discussing all the games to be played later that day.

One host asked the other guy about the upcoming LSU vs. n.d. game. This guy, an old coach from bama whose name I can not recall, said “I don’t know much about the teams players or O & D schemes, but I guarantee that LSU has more Catholics on the sideline than n.d.”

Funny, at the time at least.
You were "watching" a "live RADIO broadcast"? Hmmm

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
The school and football program itself has at times been classless (running up the score on us during Devine's years, loosening academic standards to become relevant again athletically...which I am mostly just jealous that GT won't do, etc)
Wait...you are JEALOUS that our program won’t do things you consider “classless”? Shouldn’t you be rooting for the dwags?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Wonder if having the students involved in pre game affected student overall enthusiasm and attendence . Did it encourage them to get to bds early?

Wife bought me a ticket to be on field where team and wrek come on field. It sure fired me up and i still get goose bumps anount the energy the players have as they enter the field

65Jacket

GT Athlete
In the good old days, students were seated in the lower West, from the 50yd line to the ens zone on a first come gets the best seat basis. Gates opened 2 hours before game and all seats were gone before kickoff. The empty Club Seats messed up that idea.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
In the good old days, students were seated in the lower West, from the 50yd line to the ens zone on a first come gets the best seat basis. Gates opened 2 hours before game and all seats were gone before kickoff. The empty Club Seats messed up that idea.
When we played GT we had to keep our helmets on or risk getting hit in the head with a egg... We would stand by the fence and one of us would take off our helmet to bait the students. LOL. They had some pretty good arms, that was when there was a track around the field and they had that horrible astroturf. GT lost some of the " home field advantage" when them moved the student section. JMO. I would have the Band in the corner visitors side and the students directly behind the visiting bench. Make it harder to communicate on the sidelines.