GT - competing at a higher level

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
As to attracting sidewalk fans, whether you love the TO or not, the perception "on the Street" is it's boring to watch.
I'm not sure we need a coaching change right now, but I think it's time for Todd Stansbury to start addressing some of these issue's.
And if it was time for a change, I am not part of the crowd who thinks we couldn't get a quality coach.
We also need to do MORE marketing of our academics as a positive in terms of having the quality education if the NFL doesn't work-out ... with the current concussion issues in the NFL this could be turned into a positive.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
If we thought that we could recruit well with a conventional offense then CPJ would have never been hired in the first place. That hiring was basically an admission of the issues we have with recruiting. We tried to find an equalizer for it. If we go back to a more conventional offense, we may see an uptick in recruiting. Will we actually be a better program? That is questionable.

Boxer223

Georgia Tech Fan
Do we Have a great education YES!!!!! but when that is all you have to offer recruits there are plenty of schools that have that plus the facilities and other recruiting tools to use as well where we don't (stanford, UCLA, Vandy, ETC.) us finally switching from Russel is a big help but until our facilities are upgraded, pitching a great education to kids will only take you so far. Going to a conventional offense might cause a MILD uptick in recruiting, but until we invest more into our program the greatest coaches can only do so well with not much to work with.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
As to attracting sidewalk fans, whether you love the TO or not, the perception "on the Street" is it's boring to watch.
That perception changes instantly every time the team has a good year. In 2009 and 2014 the national media and even the local leg humpers suddenly discovered that its actually a really exciting big-play offense. The supposed perception is just a convenient talking point for people who aren’t actually watching our games. Winning takes care of perception.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Huh? You know that's patently false, right? DeShaun Watson, Justin Fields, Jameis Winston. You know what those 3 have in common? Not only were they the top QBs in their classes, but all 3 were offered by CPJ early in the process. CPJ put together an ENTIRE sample game plan around WR Cameron Sims for his visit at a summer camp a couple of years ago in order to get him interested in GT. He ended up at Bama. I could go on with these.
DeShauan I knew about and he would have been as big a winner here as he was at Clemson, but Winston? Here I think you must have been getting bad info; he was always a straight drop-back passer. But, in general, I think you are right and I shouldn't have said what I did. I think we would love to have a player like Sims on the field for us. Oth, having players who actually fit what we are doing is even better. I've often said here that we are playing Moneyball on O, going after players other schools (except the academies) don't try too hard for. Because we have a good chance to get them and they'll fit. Sure, we'll take a flier on great players; everybody does. But focused recruiting is more our speed.

On D I should have been more specific: we have had trouble getting DLs who can make a difference. Again, except for somebody like Sue, getting great DLs is more of a crap shoot. There are very few standout DLs every year, especially inside guys. We offer them, of course, but, like I said, so does everybody else. And, I might add, we haven't had very good luck with the highly rated DLs we have signed. I think this is a common problem, however; it's hard to spot a true all-star DL in high school.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There was definitely an age disparity between Atl United and GT games. Maybe GT needs to start marketing broadly across the spectrum of fans as opposed to narrowly focusing on our alumni. I remember back in 2009, when we were running roughshod across the ACC, a good portion of the fans attending GT games were not GT alumni.

And yes, Atl United games have beer sales. In fact, one of the biggest complaints about BDS is fans weren't getting their beers fast enough. LOL.
Maybe we should play a soccer match at halftime time?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
DeShauan I knew about and he would have been as big a winner here as he was at Clemson, but Winston? Here I think you must have been getting bad info; he was always a straight drop-back passer. But, in general, I think you are right and I shouldn't have said what I did. I think we would love to have a player like Sims on the field for us. Oth, having players who actually fit what we are doing is even better. I've often said here that we are playing Moneyball on O, going after players other schools (except the academies) don't try too hard for. Because we have a good chance to get them and they'll fit. Sure, we'll take a flier on great players; everybody does. But focused recruiting is more our speed.

On D I should have been more specific: we have had trouble getting DLs who can make a difference. Again, except for somebody like Sue, getting great DLs is more of a crap shoot. There are very few standout DLs every year, especially inside guys. We offer them, of course, but, like I said, so does everybody else. And, I might add, we haven't had very good luck with the highly rated DLs we have signed. I think this is a common problem, however; it's hard to spot a true all-star DL in high school.

I thought everyone knew the story of Winston and GT. It was also written about in sports illustrated piece, but I can't find it.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/12/signs_to_come_heisman_trophy_f.html

5. November 7, 2008 -- Hoover routed Winston's Gophers by a 45-14 margin in the first round of the Class 6A state playoffs. Yet that was Winston's ground zero playing big-time football. The freshman would land his first major scholarship offer that year from Georgia Tech. Winston would land scholarship offers from Alabama and Auburn before the first month of his sophomore football season was over.

BTW, look at that date. That would be CPJ's first class full class he recruited for GT.

GTFLETCH

Banned
LOL. Keep telling yourself that, Cheese. One day you might actually believe it. You act like GT has nothing to offer SAs, yet we were able to win a national championship in 1990, go to 2 OBs in the last 8 years, played for 3 ACC Championships in the last 8 years.

Honest question: When was the last time you actually came to a home game and walked around the surrounding Midtown area? If you've been to a home game recently you'd know pretty much all your points are patently false. Except athletes like hot women...all straight men love hot women...but your implication is GT doesn't have "hot women". Again, you're terribly wrong because, well, just hang out at GT sometime and the surrounding area. Facilities? Again, when was the last time you were at GT? Are we on the level of Oregon, Texas, 'Bama, USC, Ohio State? NO, but 95% of the teams around the nation aren't either, and a lot of those teams don't seem to struggle to recruit elite offensive recruits. BTW, did you know GT was able to build an indoor practice facility in a landlocked extremely expensive area YEARS before UGA, and Miami still doesn't have an indoor facility.

Attendance? Read this: https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/2015/7/1/8878515/attendance-where-does-georgia-tech-stand

BTW, GT can't complain about attendance and atmosphere when a SOCCER team just packed out our stadium for 9 straight games and made it one of the best playing home environments in all of sports.

How is it our defense is able to get elite guys on their side of the ball, and the only elite guys we've been able to sign on the offense side was JeT and Shamire in 10 years?

I mean, you must be ignoring the simple fact that elite recruits are on record saying they don't want to play in our offense. Heck, we've got guys actually sign with us who transfer out because "the triple offense is not for me..."
Not sure what you mean by elite, but it would seem you mean 4 stars or higher by your ref to S. Devine and J. Thomas who were 4 stars...

2016 - OL - Parker Bruan was an ESPN top 300 4 star recruit
2015 - QB - J. Ratliffe was a 4 star when he committed before he was injured
2014 - AB/WR - Myles Autry was an ESPN top 300 4 star recruit

One could also make the case that D. Mills and T. Custis were top players who did not work out at Tech and CJ Leggett was listed as a 4 star by ESPN (since transferred)

I only mention this since it appears you have not followed our recruiting efforts before the Swilling Brothers signed...

Again, the SAs have to want to come here!

Last edited:

GTFLETCH

Banned
I thought everyone knew the story of Winston and GT. It was also written about in sports illustrated piece, but I can't find it.

5. November 7, 2008 -- Hoover routed Winston's Gophers by a 45-14 margin in the first round of the Class 6A state playoffs. Yet that was Winston's ground zero playing big-time football. The freshman would land his first major scholarship offer that year from Georgia Tech. Winston would land scholarship offers from Alabama and Auburn before the first month of his sophomore football season was over.

BTW, look at that date. That would be CPJ's first class full class he recruited for GT.

I think CPJ offers top recruits, (I think his top 4 were LSU, Ohio State, FSU, Stanford ). I think he had a ton of offers, not sure he ever wanted to come to Georgia Tech, I think he was looking for an less rigorous enviro and more football factory to get to the NFL

However based on J. Winston's issues at FSU I do not think he would have lasted at Tech if he chose to come, he probably knew Tech was not for him when he got the offer. His behavior at the time he was in college seemed more in line with factory football program, from date rape to walking out of stores with unpaid food. Not a Tech man!

Last edited:

GTFLETCH

Banned
GT actually has a decent record of attracting top QBs. During the 90's, Donnie Davis and Quincy Carter both signed with GT (though QC opted to go the pro baseball route then get released to UGA). Donnie was the #1 Dual Threat QB, and #2 QB overall that year. QC was a top 5 QB his signing year.

During the 00's, GT was able to sign Demarius Bilbo, Josh Nesbitt, Steven Threat, and we had Sean Renfree committed before he switched to Duke due to the offense CPJ was bringing in.

Of course, then there's Charlie Dudish, perhaps one of the best QBs to ever play HS football in GA.

GT doesn't have the crazy history of stacking high profile QBs every year, but we do have a history of signing some of the top QBs in the nation...even as recently as a decade ago pre-CPJ.
Ok, so the question here is what QB worked out. Donnie Davis??? I do not think so!!
So just because they are good in HS, does not mean they will be great in college....

Joe Hamilton & Shawn Jones were left off your list....

So I find it interesting that the two left off the list are two of the better ones. Maybe all the press coming from HS does not mean they will be great! Case in point you mentioned Donnie Davis

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I feel like our offensive system has an indirect way of affecting our recruiting efforts on the defensive side of the ball. As odd as that sounds, I believe it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IT DOES, but what you would lose on the offensive side of the ball, at least in the short term, would not be fully overcome by what GT could gain on the D side. But, you are right about this. Our O system is used very effectively against D players as well. Some on here don't believe it, but it is very, very true. But, it was always hard to get "big nasties" to GT, even before this system. But, I will admit the system has added another layer of difficulty.

With that said, I still am not ready to see PJ leave. I think there is still hope, although it is not going to be easy. Recruiting to GT is NEVER going to be easy.

Last edited:

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
They say for every beautiful woman, there's a guy who's sick of her. I think the same may apply to college coaches.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

And that was probably one where he inherited a lot of Chan's offers. I remember our recruiting that year; it was completely disorganized due to the transition. But, hey, you don't withdraw an offer from a great player just because he doesn't fit; you never know, you might luck out. But I doubt seriously if either Winston or Coach took this offer seriously that year.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The reality is that we're never going to know until CPJ leaves...which will happen one day. That day is coming sooner rather than later. We'll see then.

When that happens, we will probably go to the shotgun-spread ncaa offense (will more GT fans be happy then?) get a few more top athletes, and assuming we hire a good coach- probably win/lose about the same, with a great season every once in a while. It is what it is...

WreckedbyWhiskey

Georgia Tech Fan
IMO, education doesn't really matter. I didn't decide to go to Tech b/c I knew I would get a "good/challenging education"...I went b/c I knew I'd be able to get a good paying job after college. Players at factory schools can still get jobs and really quality jobs at that - so our argument that students will get a "good education" doesn't mean much when a prospective athlete can get the same promise of a quality job with an easier road to get there.

Call it what you want but a strong network by far outweighs a "good education" when it comes to post-graduation.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
And that was probably one where he inherited a lot of Chan's offers. I remember our recruiting that year; it was completely disorganized due to the transition. But, hey, you don't withdraw an offer from a great player just because he doesn't fit; you never know, you might luck out. But I doubt seriously if either Winston or Coach took this offer seriously that year.

LOL. OK buddy. CPJ was hired in December of 2007, that offer was given out on November of 2008. It was CPJ's offer, not an "inherited" offer...whatever that means. CPJ inherited a top 15 Pro Style QB in Sean Renfree when he was hired in 2007 (who happened to get drafted by the Falcons and play a few years in the NFL). CPJ flat out told him he didn't want him...Remember the infamous "Don't want him, don't need him" quote? CPJ isn't one to take a kid, no matter how good he is, if he doesn't fit our offense. BTW, and ironically, Winston ended up scoring on an option play against us. He's QB with abilities to run the option, he just prefers to use his legs to buy time in the pocket or break down defenses only if he doesn't have an open receiver.

Winston may not have taken our offer seriously, but I'm pretty sure CPJ isn't one to hand out offers for the heck of it. Seriously, the things some of you make up to defend GT is beyond silly. Our offense has performed beyond the talent level we've recruited, and not many teams have stopped our offense cold. So elite guys don't want to play in it...it's a pretty well known by now, but so what? Making up something try and defend it only hurts your point.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
GT actually has a decent record of attracting top QBs. During the 90's, Donnie Davis and Quincy Carter both signed with GT (though QC opted to go the pro baseball route then get released to UGA). Donnie was the #1 Dual Threat QB, and #2 QB overall that year. QC was a top 5 QB his signing year.

During the 00's, GT was able to sign Demarius Bilbo, Josh Nesbitt, Steven Threat, and we had Sean Renfree committed before he switched to Duke due to the offense CPJ was bringing in.

Of course, then there's Charlie Dudish, perhaps one of the best QBs to ever play HS football in GA.

GT doesn't have the crazy history of stacking high profile QBs every year, but we do have a history of signing some of the top QBs in the nation...even as recently as a decade ago pre-CPJ.
Wow Techster, you brought up a few "way back " names there! You are correct, before johnson came on the scene Tech was always high on a few QB's list. I don't think that Dudish ever finished , and later became a minister. May be wrong though.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ is the man for GT. I've said it in other threads but what other coach in the country can you think of that takes an average of recruiting classes in the 50's and wins a New Years 6 bowl game and has made their conference championships game multiple times. We are way above the average school in terms of success imo, sometimes we forget there are over 100 teams in college football and only a handful or so are not consistently an up and down program. The issue with GT isn't CPJ but it's the resources. Some can complain that the "resources" comment is just an excuse, but if you truly stop and think about it, it's obviously not an excuse. If those who say it's an excuse had a similar situation as a manager at work that CPJ has you would not be happy with it. For instance, if you as a manager were told to match the sells of a competitor company but they had 10 more sales guys you would say that's not even reasonable. Hopefully the new uniforms, extra staff, and new locker room will start to drastically change things around GT. Let's say in 3 or 4 years nothing has changed and we have given time for these new things to settle in then I will start to agree.
Good grief, I'm reading you're post and just shaking my head in disagreement, but you have your opinion.

herb

Helluva Engineer
Good grief, I'm reading you're post and just shaking my head in disagreement, but you have your opinion.
Isn't it true that we have 4 in recruiting staff. I think dwags have about 30. That makes a difference.

Also, while looking at dwag staff, i saw this, ugh http://www.georgiadogs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1347&path=football He looks terrible in those colors. May have been the smartest safety I have ever seen. I don't think I ever saw him in the wrong position.