GT - competing at a higher level

WreckedbyWhiskey

Georgia Tech Fan
As a Tech alum, I think we think way too highly of our degree. Its a solid degree, much like many other degrees and gives us a great boost into corporate America. Does it set us so far apart that competition can't catch up with us in the workforce?? Absolutely not.

Again, education is great but a promising job with growth potential is better. If I'm an athlete and I'm given a choice of a tough education that can get me a job or just a strong network that can also give me a job (without the tough education), I'm going for the latter all day long!

All soft skills are learned on the job anyway...I'm a management consultant and I will be the first to tell you that I didn't learn communication, management or leadership from Tech...I learned how to measure the area under a curve - and that hasn't been helpful once in my career. At my current client, I work under several SEC executives that are ex-athletes - doesn't seem like their "limited network" hindered their growth potential.

I love my degree and love my fellow Tech alum but we need to get over ourselves.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I heard an interview of Arthur Blank right before their last game at BDS and he mentioned that there was "concession chaos" (my term) with the beer sales and that GT and Arthur came to an understanding that closing off the upper north would help the situation.

http://www.myajc.com/blog/further-r...obby-dodd-when-leaves/BW8kPaX82wY6IQ6ztl4LSO/

The scene for soccer has in some way eclipsed the scene for the average Tech football game. Seven Atlanta United games here, seven sellouts (with the north endzone upper deck closed off for maintenance). And half of the crowd wasn't Clemson fans.

https://www.dirtysouthsoccer.com/at...-stadium-atlanta-united-capacity-construction

On Wednesday, the AJC’s Doug Roberson reported that because of construction being done on the northern end of the stadium, capacity for Atlanta United home matches at Bobby Dodd will be reduced from 55,000 to 45,000.

Georgia Tech assistant athletic director Elizabeth Lancaster said her understanding was that only seats in the lower end of the upper north section will be available for the second and third home games (March 18 and April 30). After that, a maintenance plan that had already been in place at Tech for the upper north will completely close off the deck, which holds about 10,000, for the remaining five games.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
http://www.myajc.com/blog/further-r...obby-dodd-when-leaves/BW8kPaX82wY6IQ6ztl4LSO/

The scene for soccer has in some way eclipsed the scene for the average Tech football game. Seven Atlanta United games here, seven sellouts (with the north endzone upper deck closed off for maintenance). And half of the crowd wasn't Clemson fans.

https://www.dirtysouthsoccer.com/at...-stadium-atlanta-united-capacity-construction

On Wednesday, the AJC’s Doug Roberson reported that because of construction being done on the northern end of the stadium, capacity for Atlanta United home matches at Bobby Dodd will be reduced from 55,000 to 45,000.

Georgia Tech assistant athletic director Elizabeth Lancaster said her understanding was that only seats in the lower end of the upper north section will be available for the second and third home games (March 18 and April 30). After that, a maintenance plan that had already been in place at Tech for the upper north will completely close off the deck, which holds about 10,000, for the remaining five games.
Interesting. I wonder what Arthur was talking about in that interview...my hearing is still pretty good.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. I wonder what Arthur was talking about in that interview...my hearing is still pretty good.

Didn't hear the interview, maybe he just said something along the lines of "Lines will be helped once North Stands are shutdown" and that was in reference to the construction/maintenance that was planned.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
As a Tech alum, I think we think way too highly of our degree. Its a solid degree, much like many other degrees and gives us a great boost into corporate America. Does it set us so far apart that competition can't catch up with us in the workforce?? Absolutely not.

Again, education is great but a promising job with growth potential is better. If I'm an athlete and I'm given a choice of a tough education that can get me a job or just a strong network that can also give me a job (without the tough education), I'm going for the latter all day long!

All soft skills are learned on the job anyway...I'm a management consultant and I will be the first to tell you that I didn't learn communication, management or leadership from Tech...I learned how to measure the area under a curve - and that hasn't been helpful once in my career. At my current client, I work under several SEC executives that are ex-athletes - doesn't seem like their "limited network" hindered their growth potential.

I love my degree and love my fellow Tech alum but we need to get over ourselves.
I do not agree. I think the GT degree is worth it. That " strong network" is for a very limited number of players at any given school. There are 85 scholarship players, and maybe a couple of " Strong network" jobs. Only so many can work for the Liquor Dist at any given time... The difference is the degree from GT is a real world education that can be used to be successful. Not some Gen studies, Rec Mgt , Touchy feely or pre anything nonsense. When a SA from GT gets out people know they earned it. It has real value. It is the best selling point in recruiting.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

How many GT athletes do you know who earned masters degrees at GT while playing football and then their first job after college was selling phones at a shopping mall cell phone store? Of the SEC ones that I know that followed that career path, 1 was a 4/5 star recruit and had NFL scouts raving about him after watching drills his freshman year at an SEC school. Didn't end up making a team in the NFL after his masters degree and his fall back plan was selling at a mall store front. I guess this network that you talk about that helps all of the SEC team players get a great career just skipped over him?

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
You can get a good education at any school and be successful. No one is saying you cannot. But be honest, many factory schools push kids into “easier” paths that really do not give them much to work with after college. Clemson is a good example. They have players that start out in Eng and 1 year later are pre business Mgr. What ever that is. Just because someone knows a few guys prob in sales that got a chance because they played at xyz college does not mean that the other 80 kids who honestly the alum don’t give a crap about are successful if they were railroaded into a no nothing degree. There is s reason CMR tried to set up job fairs for his players w UGA album. The vast majority of kids playing ball at any school are not getting sweet deals from alumni. The guys who are successful from any school are mainly ones w a good degree and they earn it. The diff to me is if you are looking for someone and you have a guy w a business degree from GT and a guy w a business degree from a factory you know the GT guy earned it. No favors.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
How many GT athletes do you know who earned masters degrees at GT while playing football and then their first job after college was selling phones at a shopping mall cell phone store? Of the SEC ones that I know that followed that career path, 1 was a 4/5 star recruit and had NFL scouts raving about him after watching drills his freshman year at an SEC school. Didn't end up making a team in the NFL after his masters degree and his fall back plan was selling at a mall store front. I guess this network that you talk about that helps all of the SEC team players get a great career just skipped over him?
Truth. I like what CPJ told Will the day he committed. Use football don’t let football use you. GT is world class. I bet that young man w a GT Masters degree who started off in the mall is doing great things. Just a hunch :)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Truth. I like what CPJ told Will the day he committed. Use football don’t let football use you. GT is world class. I bet that young man w a GT Masters degree who started off in the mall is doing great things. Just a hunch :)

That guy was an SEC guy. I'm not sure what he is doing now. I can PM you his name, I wouldn't want to list it on a public forum.

What you said CPJ told Will is one of the reasons that I like him as HC as much as I do. I have heard others say that during their first meeting, CPJ told them that if they are not serious about academics, then GT isn't the place for them and they shouldn't continue to look at GT. I only have casual observation, nothing internal, but it appears to me that CPJ at least, and likely more of the coaching staff, really cares about the young men on the team. Not solely for their athletic abilities, but also for their lives in general. Not to say that he doesn't care about winning. It seems apparent to me that he gets really pissed during games when people don't perform to the level he expects them to. But it appears to me from the outside, that he takes a lot of interest in their academic, professional, and life development and pushes them to excel in those areas also.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
That guy was an SEC guy. I'm not sure what he is doing now. I can PM you his name, I wouldn't want to list it on a public forum.

What you said CPJ told Will is one of the reasons that I like him as HC as much as I do. I have heard others say that during their first meeting, CPJ told them that if they are not serious about academics, then GT isn't the place for them and they shouldn't continue to look at GT. I only have casual observation, nothing internal, but it appears to me that CPJ at least, and likely more of the coaching staff, really cares about the young men on the team. Not solely for their athletic abilities, but also for their lives in general. Not to say that he doesn't care about winning. It seems apparent to me that he gets really pissed during games when people don't perform to the level he expects them to. But it appears to me from the outside, that he takes a lot of interest in their academic, professional, and life development and pushes them to excel in those areas also.
I still bet that guy did something w his life. It’s hard to get a Masters at any school. Playing sports while going to school. I guess the point is that don’t count on those “alumni” jobs. There are a few who get them but the majority have to make it on their own value. That is where a degree from GT shines. There is a reason people who graduate say they “ got out”.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I still bet that guy did something w his life. It’s hard to get a Masters at any school. Playing sports while going to school. I guess the point is that don’t count on those “alumni” jobs. There are a few who get them but the majority have to make it on their own value. That is where a degree from GT shines. There is a reason people who graduate say they “ got out”.

I looked him up. He is still in sales, but doing industrial sales. His playing time probably does help him in the area he is in and the school he played at. I don't know for sure, but it looks like he is in a much better place financially and network wise than a store front sales job.

I didn't name him publicly. I wasn't attempting to bash him. From all of the casual encounters I have had with him and from friends who know him better, he seems to be a very good guy. My bigger issue is when a school keeps a guy for six years, he had a medical waiver, to play football yet he isn't very well prepared to enter the job market after school. He was believed to be a decent NFL prospect out of high school due to size and athleticism. That didn't pan out, which ends up being the case even for many 4/5 star recruits. I liked what you said CPJ told Will about using football. If more schools would stress that and more players would have that mindset, I would be much happier with NCAA football in general.

WreckedbyWhiskey

Georgia Tech Fan

I hear you and I didn't say that all SA at other schools are super successful but I also know Tech alum that are working at the mall too. Just saying your network is only as strong as your personal work ethic. Nothing I say or anyone else says on this forum applies to all student athletes at Tech or any other school - there's exceptions to every rule.

WreckedbyWhiskey

Georgia Tech Fan
I do not agree. I think the GT degree is worth it. That " strong network" is for a very limited number of players at any given school. There are 85 scholarship players, and maybe a couple of " Strong network" jobs. Only so many can work for the Liquor Dist at any given time... The difference is the degree from GT is a real world education that can be used to be successful. Not some Gen studies, Rec Mgt , Touchy feely or pre anything nonsense. When a SA from GT gets out people know they earned it. It has real value. It is the best selling point in recruiting.

Yea, I just don't believe that Tech has the market cornered on a "valuable degree" nor do I believe that "factory" schools only have a limited network that is only good for getting you a blue-collar entry level job with no room for promotion. This just doesn't make sense to me but that's just me.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yea, I just don't believe that Tech has the market cornered on a "valuable degree" nor do I believe that "factory" schools only have a limited network that is only good for getting you a blue-collar entry level job with no room for promotion. This just doesn't make sense to me but that's just me.
Nobody keeps stats on what happens to kids after they leave college. But, it's safe bet the kids who leave GT fair much better than those that leave the factories.

Let's compare graduation success rates from GT vs Uga. You might think by having athletes funneled into worthless degrees programs, the mutts would have one of the highest gsr's. Au contraire:

For the class that entered in 2010-11, Bulldog football’s GSR was 53, which is worst among the SEC’s 14 universities. Its federal graduation rate, 41 percent was also the league’s worst. The six-year measuring period for that class ended with this spring’s college graduations.
http://onlineathens.com/local-news/2017-11-10/uga-football-sec-s-lowest-ncaa-academic-report

You might also assume with one of the most rigorous path's to graduation of any school playing P5 football, GT would struggle mightily with grad rates. Again, you'd assume wrong.

Georgia Tech athletics’ NCAA Graduation Success Rate (GSR) has reached an all-time high of 87 percent, according to the latest data released by the NCAA on Tuesday.
Georgia Tech’s 87-percent GSR is its highest since the NCAA began using the metric in 2005 and marks the fourth-straight year that Tech’s GSR has increased.

At 87 percent, Georgia Tech’s GSR also surpasses the Division I average of 84 percent.
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/genrel/111516aaa.html

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I don't think anyone has said that GT is the only place with high value degrees. However, how many "non-valuable degrees" does GT have? Stanford has some very high valued degrees, but also has some degrees that are not very valuable. Most of the factory schools have degrees that are not anywhere near valuable. It isn't a matter of GT is the only school with good degrees, it is that every student out of GT has a reputable and meaningful degree.

People who are really ambitious can be successful with a GT degree, a factory degree, or even without a high school diploma. There are people I know with GT degrees who became teachers and clergymen. They didn't do those things because options were limited, they did them because that is what they wanted to do. I know some people who floated through degree programs at other schools, but I don't know anyone who was able to float through school at GT. I believe that every student who gets a degree from GT had to put in a lot of work to get the degree. At other schools, I have seen people spend almost zero time studying, yet end up with a degree. That is where I see a difference. Not in comparing the top degrees at GT with top degrees at other places, but comparing the bottom level degrees.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
My degree taught me how to think and analyze a problem. You cannot get through GT engineering by memorizing the material. You have to apply it. I used my engineering knowledge throughout my 40 year career. GT also prepares graduates to go on to advanced degrees.

WreckedbyWhiskey

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't think anyone has said that GT is the only place with high value degrees. However, how many "non-valuable degrees" does GT have? Stanford has some very high valued degrees, but also has some degrees that are not very valuable. Most of the factory schools have degrees that are not anywhere near valuable. It isn't a matter of GT is the only school with good degrees, it is that every student out of GT has a reputable and meaningful degree.

People who are really ambitious can be successful with a GT degree, a factory degree, or even without a high school diploma. There are people I know with GT degrees who became teachers and clergymen. They didn't do those things because options were limited, they did them because that is what they wanted to do. I know some people who floated through degree programs at other schools, but I don't know anyone who was able to float through school at GT. I believe that every student who gets a degree from GT had to put in a lot of work to get the degree. At other schools, I have seen people spend almost zero time studying, yet end up with a degree. That is where I see a difference. Not in comparing the top degrees at GT with top degrees at other places, but comparing the bottom level degrees.

Not disagreeing with you at all, I believe there is a clear difference between a Tech degree and what you consider a "factory" school degree (although one could argue that these "factory" schools can provide an easier route to get to the same end-point, ijs)...I just don't think that's a strong enough argument to get a 4 or 5 star recruit to come to Tech...just ask all the 4 and 5 star recruits that turned Tech down (keep in mind...if they were offered by Tech then the coaches clearly think they're "Tech material").

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
The number ranked by people selling subscriptions 4 and 5 star players that could handle the academics at Tech is limited. Many “offers” listed on sites are not real. It’s what a 17 year old kid who thinks anyone who says or sends a letter “ we want you to be a...” list as a “offer”. For example do you really think GT offered Trent Thompson. He had zero chance of getting accepted. Don’t believe most of what you read. I remember a kid who a the AJC wrote about choosing Furnan over GT. I asked the position coach about him and he did not know who he was...

Last edited: