GT - competing at a higher level

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
The number ranked by people selling subscriptions 4 and 5 star players that could handle the academics at Tech is limited. Many “offers” listed on sites are not real. It’s what a 17 year old kid who thinks anyone who says or sends a letter “ we want you to be a...” list as a “offer”. For example do you really think GT offered Trent Thompson. He had zero chance of getting accepted. Don’t believe most of what you read. I remember a kid who a the AJC wrote about choosing Furnan over GT. I asked the position coach about him and he did not know who he was...
I have to stop posting using a iPhone. The grammar is horrible, even for a UGA grad.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Not disagreeing with you at all, I believe there is a clear difference between a Tech degree and what you consider a "factory" school degree (although one could argue that these "factory" schools can provide an easier route to get to the same end-point, ijs)...I just don't think that's a strong enough argument to get a 4 or 5 star recruit to come to Tech...just ask all the 4 and 5 star recruits that turned Tech down (keep in mind...if they were offered by Tech then the coaches clearly think they're "Tech material").

How many recruits are ranked as 5 star each year? Rivals shows 26 for 2018 right now. There are somewhere around 130 FBS programs now. That means that if no program signs more than 1 5 star recruit only about 20% of all FBS schools would sign one. Miami, Clemson, mutts, and Ohio State are listed as having commitments from multiple ones. It will probably end up that 10-12 schools sign all of the 5 star recruits.

This is just conjecture, but i think that many 4/5 star recruits and even a large number of 3 star recruits believe that their future is in the NFL. Many will have neighbors or uncles who tell them that they don't have to worry about money because they will make millions in the NFL and be able to live comfortably their entire life. High school kids don't know the statistics about how many make it to the NFL, and they don't know the statistics about NFL career length and average money earned in an NFL career. They only see the attention that they get from high school football and they hear idiots telling them that they will never have to worry about anything else.

There are programs that tell recruits that the only way to get to the NFL is playing in a factory program. During the Sunday night NFL game this week, it was amazing how many of the starters called out FCS and Division 2 schools during the introductions. I might have heard wrong, but I believe there were two starters from Division 2 Grand Valley State. There were also some FCS schools. If you are a player and have the measureables and skills to play in the NFL, the scouts will find you. Even if you play in a Division 2 program. However, that is not the conventional wisdom. If a player asks his uncle, or talks to people at the local diner, they will all say that the only way to get to the NFL is to play for Alabama or Ohio State. Once again, high school kids don't know all of the statistics and methods. They know what those around them are telling them.

If you get to a very highly ranked player who believes that education is the most important thing about college(Remember 26 total in 2018, so maybe 5 or 6 that feel that way), there are other colleges that offer great educations. There are other colleges that offer great educations in things other than Business and Engineering. For the 1, 2, or 3 that value education and want a Business or Engineering degree, GT is competing with Stanford, Michigan, Ohio State, Cal, Ivy League schools, and a handful of others for those guys.