GT Bowl Projections

Animal02

Banned
I see Sun Bowl vs Utah from CBS. Rematch from 2011!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/bowls/predictions
IFrom the other website regard ACC tie ins...I thought it said the ACC gets the Citrus OR the Russell.....I did not read it as both. If the ACC does get both, then we would be the last of the Tier one, if not we will be the top team for the Tier 2 who h puts us in the military bowl

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
IFrom the other website regard ACC tie ins...I thought it said the ACC gets the Citrus OR the Russell.....I did not read it as both. If the ACC does get both, then we would be the last of the Tier one, if not we will be the top team for the Tier 2 who h puts us in the military bowl

I believe the ACC has a tie-in with the Russell Athletic. The Taxslayer and Music City tie-ins split - one to Big 10 one to ACC. The Citrus Bowl tie-in is a Big 10 team unless a Big 10 team plays in the Orange in which case the Citrus Bowl picks an ACC team.

slugboy

Staff member
Belk is headquartered in Charlotte and looks at the bowl as an advertising/outreach opportunity for the state residents I think. Fine by me for them to take an NC team.

It's not so much Belk as a sponsor--they'd like to get their name in front of other shoppers, and Carolina shoppers already know them. It's the bowl committee trying to fill seats. They want fans from a short driving radius. Though RDU is not that much closer than Atlanta

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Animal02

Banned
I believe the ACC has a tie-in with the Russell Athletic. The Taxslayer and Music City tie-ins split - one to Big 10 one to ACC. The Citrus Bowl tie-in is a Big 10 team unless a Big 10 team plays in the Orange in which case the Citrus Bowl picks an ACC team.
As I said previously....the site posted earlier in the thread on ACC tie ins seemed to say it was an either or regarding the Citrus and Russel. The CBS projections had an ACC going to both. Since the Russell and Cirrus are run by the same organization.....I would be surprised if the took two ACC teams

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
As I said previously....the site posted earlier in the thread on ACC tie ins seemed to say it was an either or regarding the Citrus and Russel. The CBS projections had an ACC going to both. Since the Russell and Cirrus are run by the same organization.....I would be surprised if the took two ACC teams

I might be wrong, but the way I understand the tie-ins, the Citrus bowl is Big 10 vs SEC, except if a Big 10 team is in the Orange Bowl. If a Big 10 team is in the Orange Bowl, an ACC team takes the Big 10 spot. I believe that is the way the contracts are written. However, as the Gator Bowl proved a few years ago with FSU and Bowden, the contracts can be interpreted quite liberally.

GTFLETCH

Banned
My projections if VT upsets Clemson:

VT - Orange (vs PSU)
Clemson - Citrus (Even with two Big 10 teams in CFP Orange will be BIG10 this year){Clemson could also get slotted for an At-large Fiesta Bid}
FSU - Russell Athletic
Louisville - Taxslayer/Music City
Miami - Belk
Pitt - Pinstripe
UNC - Sun
GT - Military
NCSU - Independence
Wake - Quick Lane
BC - St. Petersburg

However if Clemson wins like projected:

Clemson - playoffs
FSU - Orange (Louisville won head to head but the two late losses are going to mean FSU has a much higher CFP ranking)
Louisville - Citrus
Miami - Russell Athletic
VT - Taxslayer (These last two to avoid VT being in Orlando twice in a three week period but still giving VT a desirable bowl location)
UNC - Belk
GT - Pinstripe
Pitt - Sun
NCSU - Military
Wake - Independence
BC - Quick Lane
Unfilled by ACC team - St. Petersburg

Last edited:

Animal02

Banned
I might be wrong, but the way I understand the tie-ins, the Citrus bowl is Big 10 vs SEC, except if a Big 10 team is in the Orange Bowl. If a Big 10 team is in the Orange Bowl, an ACC team takes the Big 10 spot. I believe that is the way the contracts are written. However, as the Gator Bowl proved a few years ago with FSU and Bowden, the contracts can be interpreted quite liberally.
Yes, I got that part, but it also seemed to say that if the Citrus went ACC, the Russell would not. I am just trying to figure out if that is true or not. If it is an either / or...the everyone moves down a slot.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

GTFLETCH

Banned
Yes, I got that part, but it also seemed to say that if the Citrus went ACC, the Russell would not. I am just trying to figure out if that is true or not. If it is an either / or...the everyone moves down a slot.

Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl
Selection Criteria: If ACC Champ plays against a Big Ten opponent in the Orange Bowl, ACC No. 1 plays SEC in Citrus Bowl. If ACC Champ is selected to CFP, and ACC 1 plays Big Ten in the Orange Bowl, ACC No. 2 goes to Citrus Bowl. If the Big Ten is not selected for Orange Bowl, the ACC is replaced by a Big Ten team in the Citrus Bowl.

Russell Athletic Bowl
Selection Criteria: ACC No. 1 vs. Big 12, unless Big Ten is selected to participate in Orange Bowl, in which case ACC No. 1 goes to Citrus Bowl and ACC No. 2 goes to Russell Athletic Bowl.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl
Selection Criteria: If ACC Champ plays against a Big Ten opponent in the Orange Bowl, ACC No. 1 plays SEC in Citrus Bowl. If ACC Champ is selected to CFP, and ACC 1 plays Big Ten in the Orange Bowl, ACC No. 2 goes to Citrus Bowl. If the Big Ten is not selected for Orange Bowl, the ACC is replaced by a Big Ten team in the Citrus Bowl.

Russell Athletic Bowl
Selection Criteria: ACC No. 1 vs. Big 12, unless Big Ten is selected to participate in Orange Bowl, in which case ACC No. 1 goes to Citrus Bowl and ACC No. 2 goes to Russell Athletic Bowl.
How do they rank the acc? By what the committee ranks teams or by acc play?

Animal02

Banned
I haven't seen anything that would indicate that. CFN has a listing of the conference tie-ins: http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/college-football-bowl-ties-affiliations-conference However, I don't know how accurate they are.
I guess I just read it wrong. So the Orange needs to pick a Big Ten team or Tech will slide to the second Tier bowls, so it seems.
The part that is not clear to me is if ACC 1 is in the Orange, and ACC 2 is in the Citrus...is ACC 3 still in the Russell?

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My projections if VT upsets Clemson:

VT - Orange (vs PSU)
Clemson - Citrus (Even with two Big 10 teams in CFP Orange will be BIG10 this year){Clemson could also get slotted for an At-large Fiesta Bid}
FSU - Russell Athletic
Louisville - Taxslayer/Music City
Miami - Belk
Pitt - Pinstripe
UNC - Sun
GT - Military
NCSU - Independence
Wake - Quick Lane
BC - St. Petersburg

However if Clemson wins like projected:

Clemson - playoffs
FSU - Orange (Louisville won head to head but the two late losses are going to mean FSU has a much higher CFP ranking)
Louisville - Citrus
Miami - Russell Athletic
VT - Taxslayer (These last two to avoid VT being in Orlando twice in a three week period but still giving VT a desirable bowl location)
UNC - Belk
GT - Pinstripe
Pitt - Sun
NCSU - Military
Wake - Independence
BC - Quick Lane
Unfilled by ACC team - St. Petersburg

Hope you are right. I could do the Pinstripe on Dec 28th. Stay in NY and hang around for New Year's. Even Military Bowl is "only" a four hour drive from where I live. I may get to see a GT game in person this year (y)

Jmonty71

Banned
Last reports I saw have us in either the Sun or the Pin Stripe. Sun vs Utah / Pinstripe vs. Maryland. Honestly, Maryland hasn't looked good at all this year. I think that one is more winnable than Utah.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Last reports I saw have us in either the Sun or the Pin Stripe. Sun vs Utah / Pinstripe vs. Maryland. Honestly, Maryland hasn't looked good at all this year. I think that one is more winnable than Utah.
Watch a lot of Maryland's games cause a lot of family members went there. They have a terrible passing offense and overall defense. They've struggled with bad teams and I'm not sure they even have a win over a bowl eligible P5 team. It would be a real mismatch in our favor

Edit
Just checked. Their best win is a 2OT road win over 6-6 UCF. Did not beat any other bowl teams