GT @ Auburn

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’m still scarred from our 12-0 start a couple years ago. We know how that ended. :(

There are advantages to being young and inexperienced. Not all experience is good!

One really good thing about this team is that they seem to be able to flush the previous game and bounce back. Also, they seemed to be hungry to get the sweep of L'Ville. So I like their attitude a lot.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Let me think about this all day and get back to you :whistle:
Haha. I agree with you, but I still haven't found a way to sync the audio from the radio with the video from streaming the SEC network. Both seem to be on a slight (but different) delay.

If we're winning, I usually end up watching. But if we're losing, I switch over to the radio so I can still get things done. It's hard to listen to play calls from the other team in a losing effort (the one exception being Miami, they were actually pretty great).

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
4) X is currently our least effective starter. (Love him, but those are the stats.)

The stats are the stats.

My own suspicion is that X is far less effective in the bandbox we play in at home. Since fly balls become HR's at the Rusty C (especially on windy days), and since X is really a fast ball pitcher, I think he becomes so conscious of this he tries to pitch too finely. This leads into other problems (most notably walks). When he is in a bigger ball park like Louisville's, he simply lets it fly and is *much* more effective.

Unfortunately in college it is hard to switch up pitchers based on home and away series....hard to pitch X on Sunday at home and on Friday on the road. I guess this does argue for X to be the Sunday starter at all times, BUT Hall has his loyalty or favorites and will want to showcase X on Fridays no matter what. I cannot recall shuffling the rotation short of injuries.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The stats are the stats.

My own suspicion is that X is far less effective in the bandbox we play in at home. Since fly balls become HR's at the Rusty C (especially on windy days), and since X is really a fast ball pitcher, I think he becomes so conscious of this he tries to pitch too finely. This leads into other problems (most notably walks). When he is in a bigger ball park like Louisville's, he simply lets it fly and is *much* more effective.

Unfortunately in college it is hard to switch up pitchers based on home and away series....hard to pitch X on Sunday at home and on Friday on the road. I guess this does argue for X to be the Sunday starter at all times, BUT Hall has his loyalty or favorites and will want to showcase X on Fridays no matter what. I cannot recall shuffling the rotation short of injuries.

Agree 100% on the stadium. He was fine in L'Ville. He'll be fine in Omaha. :barefoot:

As to swapping days, I'd make X the Sunday starter till further notice. But flexibility and creativity are not a Hall trademark.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
WREK has music. StatBroadcast shows Jake Brace starting. No problem with trying Brace out, would have been nice to throw him a few innings up to this point; but why plan ahead?

Delay?

Guldberg at DH. Serratos at 3rd. Really? Webb has a .269 BA an .406 OBP. Serratos has a .278 BA and a .328 OBP. For that we are putting a guy on the field who is by far the weakest link in our D? Sigh. Hopefully Serratos becomes as good as "Gold" an shows that I'm an idiot.

Last edited:

THWG

Helluva Engineer
WREK has music. StatBroadcast shows Jake Brace starting. No problem with trying Brace out, would have been nice to throw him a few innings up to this point; but why plan ahead?

Delay?

Guldberg at DH. Serratos at 3rd. Really? Webb has a .269 BA an .406 OBP. Serratos has a .278 BA and a .328 OBP. For that we are putting a guy on the field who is by far the weakest link in our D? Sigh. Hopefully Serratos becomes as good as "Gold" an shows that I'm an idiot.
Serratos is third on the team in RBIs though.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Serratos is third on the team in RBIs though.

Sure, Serratos 108 AB and 18 RBI; .167 RBI/AB.

Webb 26 AB and 3 RBI; .115 RBI/AB.

Giving the other team extra outs and baserunners is what loses games. Serratos 10 errors; 41 A; .244 E/A.
Webb 1 error; 24 A; .042 E/A. Webb was in easier positions before. But still. Serratos is probably the WORST FLD% of any ACC 3rd baseman.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Boy they already started ****ing us T1. 2 out 2 on for Radcliffe who legs out an infield single. Goldberg tried to score from 2nd and slides into the catcher who fumbles the ball but is still blocking the plate and tags out the runner. Hall challenges and the replay shows the catcher never had the ball. So by rule that’s an easy call of safe. Auburn announcers acknowledge that by rule he’s safe. Ump comes out after looking at it for 2 minutes and calls him out.

Deleted member 2897

Boy they already started ****ing us T1. 2 out 2 on for Radcliffe who legs out an infield single. Goldberg tried to score from 2nd and slides into the catcher who fumbles the ball but is still blocking the plate and tags out the runner. Hall challenges and the replay shows the catcher never had the ball. So by rule that’s an easy call of safe. Auburn announcers acknowledge that by rule he’s safe. Ump comes out after looking at it for 2 minutes and calls him out.

Umpires and Referees flat out ruin sports.

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow

I think they actually got that play right.

"Rule 8-7-c states “unless the catcher is in possession of the ball, the catcher cannot block the pathway of the runner as he is attempting to score… Notwithstanding the above, it shall not be considered a violation if the catcher blocks the pathway of the runner in a legitimate attempt to
field the throw.”"

For me, he was making an attempt to field the throw, but dropped it. It's a bit of a grey area, but that clarification would imply that the call was good.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think they actually got that play right.

"Rule 8-7-c states “unless the catcher is in possession of the ball, the catcher cannot block the pathway of the runner as he is attempting to score… Notwithstanding the above, it shall not be considered a violation if the catcher blocks the pathway of the runner in a legitimate attempt to
field the throw.”"

For me, he was making an attempt to field the throw, but dropped it. It's a bit of a grey area, but that clarification would imply that the call was good.

I agree it's a grey area, but I would argue that only if the catcher MOVES into the basepath to attempt to catch the ball, it's not a violation. The Auburn catcher was already planted there assuming he was going to catch it, then had to reach and missed it. Either way, I'm not sure that type of interpretation is what replay is intended for so I'm not too disappointed.

Also, this Schilleci guy for Auburn had 1.0 IP coming into this game. He's now faced the minimum through 3 innings, no hits, no walks, and 3 Ks.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
^ yeah that’s my interpretation of that. In fact the play in question is exactly why the rule was put into effect. To avoid catchers trying to impede the runner before they had the ball. Because that’s how injuries happen.

Funny that it was Guldberg again - the same guy who got called out in the Louisville series at 3rd when their 3B blocked the base. Gotta teach him to just run through the fielders. Apparently you can just stand in front of the base/plate these days.