GT ATL Hats

dtlinderman

Georgia Tech Fan
It's really frustrating that they can't read the room for the current situation. A lot of folks struggling. Yes, even Tech folks.
I completely understand, a lot of individuals and businesses are struggling, including our own athletic department. Honest question, should they stop looking for unique ways to try to raise funds to make up the deficit they’re facing?

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I completely understand, a lot of individuals and businesses are struggling, including our own athletic department. Honest question, should they stop looking for unique ways to try to raise funds to make up the deficit they’re facing?

Obviously not, but I think for right now, in this current climate, it'd make a lot more sense to offer a $25-30 hat with maybe a $50-60 donation versus $200.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
$200 to the support the swarm fund. Not to a retailers pocket.

It is what it is. GT is finally doing some cool stuff and giving fans the opportunity to get some cool gear typically reserved for only the team/staff in an effort to find a unique way to raise money and the majority of the comments in here are “how dare they give me so little in return for my donation”.

It’s really disheartening and frustrating to see this from some of the fan base to be honest.
Get over yourself. The point was that the GTAA did a piss-poor job of marketing this as a cool reward for a $200 donation. Instead, they tried to market it as $200 for a limited edition run of a hat. As usual, GTAA Marketing gets it wrong.

It's a little disheartening to see the GTAA continue to miss on opportunities like this to be honest.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
Get over yourself. The point was that the GTAA did a piss-poor job of marketing this as a cool reward for a $200 donation. Instead, they tried to market it as $200 for a limited edition run of a hat. As usual, GTAA Marketing gets it wrong.

It's a little disheartening to see the GTAA continue to miss on opportunities like this to be honest.

Not really, they had great success with the 404 day donation last year because people wanted the backpack and hat so they tried a similar thing. It's a play to help fund a struggling GTAA from a subset of people that like the gear and will respond. If you don't want it, are struggling this year, etc... then don't you don't have to do anything. It's hard for me to believe that a person that is so offended by the post would participate if it was worded better or differently. But if that's really the case, I'm sure there will be other opportunities. We should be glad some people are willing and able to step up in these times rather than crap all over it.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
You aren’t paying $200 for a hat. Stop thinking of it that way. Stop saying “sell a hat for $200”.

This isn’t about value or efficiency or getting the most for your money. Go to Goodwill for that.

It’s about raising as much money as possible for the GTAA (not using 3/4 of it to design and make a goodie bag of stuff) so that we can recruit at a higher level, give raises to the staff we want to keep, and make progress with our football team. Do you want to replace Patenaude with an up and coming hot shot OC? Donate and stop negotiating for more in return.

I'm not saying what you're thinking.
I'm saying their approach is wrong.
They are ADVERTISING a hat. Then asking for the $200. There is a reason why there is a huge picture of the hat and them hyping it up.
They didn't advertise season tickets with a picture of the flag we all got, then said btw all you have to do is buy season tix.

What I am saying is, people who can/will donate $200 won't want a cheap hat.
The people that want the cheap hat may not have or want to donate $200.

They are missing out on MORE MONEY by not just selling the hat at a raised price. Rather than asking for $200 and giving a hat.

Its simple. They will probably take in 150 donations at $200. Which is $30k. Say $10 to make the hat and they probably make 250 hats. So a profit of around $20k once everything is paid for on production, shipping, etc.

OR

"Sell the hat" at an extreme price $75 blatantly saying for each hat bought, there is a chance to have a tour of Bobby Dodd given by the coach of your choice. I can easily see them selling 1,500 hats. 1,500x$75 is $112,500. Take away $20k for production, shipping, etc. Leaving $92,500.

Now the profit per hat reduces by about half when doing the 2nd option, but you have introduced an entire new market to being donors to the program essentially introducing a new stream of revenue.

Honestly I'd donate another $75 for a hat. I'm not donating another $200 just to donate as I've already donated my fair share for the year. You have to CONVINCE people to donate more by finding the right production number/price/value for the person donating. People are far more inclined to donate when there is something to be won, and they can walk away with something right then and there.

Deleted member 2897

You don't know people's situations. I'm young, I can't afford to drop 200 on a hat for a donation fund. Why get all pissed over this?

There’s 1,000 other hats. Why complain about a creative fundraising idea?

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Why, his analysis would still be correct that they would benefit more from selling 1500 at $75 each than 404 at $200.
How do you know they would sell 1500? And who cares because it’s set up already and almost certainly won’t be changed. Mental masturbation at its finest here.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
How do you know they would sell 1500? And who cares because it’s set up already and almost certainly won’t be changed. Mental masturbation at its finest here.
I am explaining at how they cannot do their job properly and how I can do it better. Is it hard to understand? 🤣.

Simply put, I'd almost guarantee I could personally sell 200 at $75 each. Let alone a team selling 1,500-2,250.

I am simply explaining at how our fundraising needs constructive criticism. Without it, we never get better. :) Competition is King. Even when it is competitive ideas.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
There’s 1,000 other hats. Why complain about a creative fundraising idea?
Because it seems to miss the mark, and more or less shows they don’t understand the target audience. In the 2-3 official social media posts about this offer, there is MAYBE one positive comment I’ve seen. All the others are trashing the idea of SELLING a $200 hat, which is exactly the way it’s worded (...BUY...). The target audience to be able to drop $200 more toward the program is pretty well off, and/are GT grads, which, as most of us in retail know, are very frugal/analytical (aka cheap) with spending. Even on GT gear. Just ask those people to give an extra $200 outright. But you instead ask them to BUY (again, their words) a $28 hat for $200. Which will probably be on sale at some point in the future...I’m pretty sure one of the social media posts I saw on it last night said something to the effect of “...not on sale YET...”.
So...currently the completely wrong fan base to present SELLING a $28 hat to at a price of $200. Just ask for $200 and you get a free hat. Most everything is about presentation. And the presentation of this is wrong to most people viewing it, obviously.

Deleted member 2897

Because it seems to miss the mark, and more or less shows they don’t understand the target audience. In the 2-3 official social media posts about this offer, there is MAYBE one positive comment I’ve seen. All the others are trashing the idea of SELLING a $200 hat, which is exactly the way it’s worded (...BUY...). The target audience to be able to drop $200 more toward the program is pretty well off, and/are GT grads, which, as most of us in retail know, are very frugal/analytical (aka cheap) with spending. Even on GT gear. Just ask those people to give an extra $200 outright. But you instead ask them to BUY (again, their words) a $28 hat for $200. Which will probably be on sale at some point in the future...I’m pretty sure one of the social media posts I saw on it last night said something to the effect of “...not on sale YET...”.
So...currently the completely wrong fan base to present SELLING a $28 hat to at a price of $200. Just ask for $200 and you get a free hat. Most everything is about presentation. And the presentation of this is wrong to most people viewing it, obviously.

The trashing of the program is exactly why I wrote my post. Anybody who tries to calculate the cost of manufacturing a hat and how much margin Tech is making is completely missing the point.

The 404 hat they did this has never been on sale anywhere.

When I read how our fans respond to this stuff it’s just embarrassing. If you’re not interested I’m giving $200 or in that hat, just move along. I have the 404 hat, but I happen to not like the style of this one. Why would I trash the school because personally I don’t like the hat or the idea?

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
The trashing of the program is exactly why I wrote my post. Anybody who tries to calculate the cost of manufacturing a hat and how much margin Tech is making is completely missing the point.

The 404 hat they did this has never been on sale anywhere.

When I read how our fans respond to this stuff it’s just embarrassing. If you’re not interested I’m giving $200 or in that hat, just move along. I have the 404 hat, but I happen to not like the style of this one. Why would I trash the school because personally I don’t like the hat or the idea?
It hasn’t been on sale YET. Using their own words. The 404 hat they did a similar program with last year did go on sale in a different color, that pissed off those that paid up for the original “limited” edition. You’d think they would have learned from the feathers they ruffled with that the first time. They could have not received this backlash with proper presentation. Again, presentation is 90% of it. Our fans are cheap and highly analytical. It’s what engineers are asked to do and are trained to do. It sucks (trust me, I get just as frustrated trying to sell to GT fans), but it’s reality. And the reality is, you do promos like this to that fan base, this is the reaction you’re gonna get. Reality and what would be ideal are two different things.

dtlinderman

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm not saying what you're thinking.
I'm saying their approach is wrong.
They are ADVERTISING a hat. Then asking for the $200. There is a reason why there is a huge picture of the hat and them hyping it up.
They didn't advertise season tickets with a picture of the flag we all got, then said btw all you have to do is buy season tix.

What I am saying is, people who can/will donate $200 won't want a cheap hat.
The people that want the cheap hat may not have or want to donate $200.

They are missing out on MORE MONEY by not just selling the hat at a raised price. Rather than asking for $200 and giving a hat.

Its simple. They will probably take in 150 donations at $200. Which is $30k. Say $10 to make the hat and they probably make 250 hats. So a profit of around $20k once everything is paid for on production, shipping, etc.

OR

"Sell the hat" at an extreme price $75 blatantly saying for each hat bought, there is a chance to have a tour of Bobby Dodd given by the coach of your choice. I can easily see them selling 1,500 hats. 1,500x$75 is $112,500. Take away $20k for production, shipping, etc. Leaving $92,500.

Now the profit per hat reduces by about half when doing the 2nd option, but you have introduced an entire new market to being donors to the program essentially introducing a new stream of revenue.

Honestly I'd donate another $75 for a hat. I'm not donating another $200 just to donate as I've already donated my fair share for the year. You have to CONVINCE people to donate more by finding the right production number/price/value for the person donating. People are far more inclined to donate when there is something to be won, and they can walk away with something right then and there.

For the record, you are negotiating what you get again - now you are saying $75 for a hat as well as a tour of the stadium by one of our coaches.

Anyway, I'll be done here. Could things always improve? Yes. Is it disheartening and frustrating to see our fans complain about this opportunity? Yes. We've come miles from where we were 2 or 3 years ago when this sort of apparel didn't even exist, and the small subset that did, you didn't get a chance to buy it and the only ask for donations was a ticket rep begging you to donate and get 2 points per $100.

Be happy with the progress we have made rather than continuously say they missed the mark completely on this (not just talking to you, but anyone who got upset by this opportunity). I for one am excited that to have this as an opportunity rather than just getting 4 AT Fund points. Now I get 4 AT Fund points and a hat that I think looks awesome.

Deleted member 2897

Because they have been paywalling the cool designs (404, new ATL logo)

There are over 150 other hats here:

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
It hasn’t been on sale YET. Using their own words. The 404 hat they did a similar program with last year did go on sale in a different color, that pissed off those that paid up for the original “limited” edition. You’d think they would have learned from the feathers they ruffled with that the first time. They could have not received this backlash with proper presentation. Again, presentation is 90% of it. Our fans are cheap and highly analytical. It’s what engineers are asked to do and are trained to do. It sucks (trust me, I get just as frustrated trying to sell to GT fans), but it’s reality. And the reality is, you do promos like this to that fan base, this is the reaction you’re gonna get. Reality and what would be ideal are two different things.
Like I have been saying. They do not understand their audience what so ever.

Just SELL the hat for $75 bucks. Say 50 goes to the program, and then by buying a hat you will get a raffle ticket sent to you in the mail with your hat. For an extra $5 dollars you can get an extra raffle ticket.
The raffle ticket gets you into a contest to be 1 of 10 people who can get a private tour of Bobby Dodd and all the facilities by the coach of your choice (May bring One guest).
On a set date Buzz will pick 10 tickets where they can quickly match the number to the person (simple excel sheet and search). Buzz picks the ticket, Collins announces the winner.

Boom, you now have offered
1. A cool one off product.
2. Created more interest by adding value with the tour, basically free other than time from the coach.
3. You have created a limitless potential to generate fundraising by having a raffle.
4. This also builds interest to donate from the younger grads or more stingy fans that may not normally donate $100+ dollars. Entry level is lowered but allows people to move up with ticket purchase.

If we knew our audience we would know by now, we have millionaires for alumni, and they tend to be stingy until the need a decent tax write off. Then it comes in one big lump sum.

This opens the gates for little donations that ADD UP.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
For the record, you are negotiating what you get again - now you are saying $75 for a hat as well as a tour of the stadium by one of our coaches.

Anyway, I'll be done here. Could things always improve? Yes. Is it disheartening and frustrating to see our fans complain about this opportunity? Yes. We've come miles from where we were 2 or 3 years ago when this sort of apparel didn't even exist, and the small subset that did, you didn't get a chance to buy it and the only ask for donations was a ticket rep begging you to donate and get 2 points per $100.

Be happy with the progress we have made rather than continuously say they missed the mark completely on this (not just talking to you, but anyone who got upset by this opportunity). I for one am excited that to have this as an opportunity rather than just getting 4 AT Fund points. Now I get 4 AT Fund points and a hat that I think looks awesome.
I agree its mile from where we were... but without constructive criticism we will never improve.

I always look for advice on how I do things. I don't always take it. 95% of the time I don't take it. But I listen. I'm offering a detailed version that could generate more money. That is the point of this.

It's what I do for a living. Efficiency.