GT ATL Hats

dtlinderman

Georgia Tech Fan
I mean damn most of the fanbase donated their season tix, donated to AI2020, donate to the AT Fund and now they want to charge 200 bucks for a hat?

Guys its a fundraising campaign. You aren't paying $200 for a hat, you are making a $200 donation to the GTAA and getting a cool hat as a thank you.

This is how you raise money and compete with the big boys. I'll be making a donation this week to continue the support of the football program

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Guys its a fundraising campaign. You aren't paying $200 for a hat, you are making a $200 donation to the GTAA and getting a cool hat as a thank you.

This is how you raise money and compete with the big boys. I'll be making a donation this week to continue the support of the football program
I agree. But the issue is... I tend to believe if they sold the hat for a more reasonable $75, more people would make a donation. The advertising of the GTAA is poor. If you're looking for $200 from a wealthy household you don't hold up a $10 hat and ask $200 for it. You ask for $200 and just send them a hat.

The people you're looking to start to donate are the ones who are in the lower tier. Where $75 is a lot for a cheap hat, but the cause is good. I believe pushing the hat as the focus is wrong for $200. You have to know your audience.

Make it $75, I'll buy one. $200? Nah. I already gave $200.
GT grads are analytical people. We see value or no value. Don't hold up that hat and offer ZERO value. It's almost insulting. Sell a Tshirt, Shorts, and Hat package for $200. It will cost them roughly $50-65 to make. Id buy that package in a heart beat.

Offering items for more donations will only work when there is some value, otherwise the people who donate an extra $200-400 already have or will not without value.

dtlinderman

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree. But the issue is... I tend to believe if they sold the hat for a more reasonable $75, more people would make a donation. The advertising of the GTAA is poor. If you're looking for $200 from a wealthy household you don't hold up a $10 hat and ask $200 for it. You ask for $200 and just send them a hat.

The people you're looking to start to donate are the ones who are in the lower tier. Where $75 is a lot for a cheap hat, but the cause is good. I believe pushing the hat as the focus is wrong for $200. You have to know your audience.

Make it $75, I'll buy one. $200? Nah. I already gave $200.
GT grads are analytical people. We see value or no value. Don't hold up that hat and offer ZERO value. It's almost insulting. Sell a Tshirt, Shorts, and Hat package for $200. It will cost them roughly $50-65 to make. Id buy that package in a heart beat.

Offering items for more donations will only work when there is some value, otherwise the people who donate an extra $200-400 already have or will not without value.

You aren’t paying $200 for a hat. Stop thinking of it that way. Stop saying “sell a hat for $200”.

This isn’t about value or efficiency or getting the most for your money. Go to Goodwill for that.

It’s about raising as much money as possible for the GTAA (not using 3/4 of it to design and make a goodie bag of stuff) so that we can recruit at a higher level, give raises to the staff we want to keep, and make progress with our football team. Do you want to replace Patenaude with an up and coming hot shot OC? Donate and stop negotiating for more in return.

dtlinderman

Georgia Tech Fan
You don't know people's situations. I'm young, I can't afford to drop 200 on a hat for a donation fund. Why get all pissed over this?

it’s not about getting upset over people who aren’t in the position to donate. It’s frustrating for people complaining they only get a hat for donating $200 and trying to negotiate where “if GT gave me more value I’d donate $200”.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You aren’t paying $200 for a hat. Stop thinking of it that way. Stop saying “sell a hat for $200”.

This isn’t about value or efficiency or getting the most for your money. Go to Goodwill for that.

It’s about raising as much money as possible for the GTAA (not using 3/4 of it to design and make a goodie bag of stuff) so that we can recruit at a higher level, give raises to the staff we want to keep, and make progress with our football team. Do you want to replace Patenaude with an up and coming hot shot OC? Donate and stop negotiating for more in return.
You missed the whole point. It's not being marketed as a donation and getting a hat, it's "hey you can have this cool hat. $200."

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck

Why is “sell a hat for $200” the wrong way to take it? They literally say “...purchasing a limited editition "ATL" Hat”. The marketing for this is to buy the hat. The point is the donation, true, but the way it’s marketed is that it’s yet more gouging for a hat that I’m sure will be offered for sale, possibly in a different color (like the “404” hat last year) at a later date. It is a bit disingenuous. Just ask for the donation. Offering $100 masks and $200 hats just doesn’t come across the right way.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I did the 404 donation for the hat and back pack.

I also did the face mask donation.

I won’t do this one, just roll it into my normal annual donation. I dislike SnapBack hats and it’s not something I would wear so no need to waste one of the hats.

I do see both sides of the discussion about this being too little to ask for $200, as well as recognize the “gift” in all these things is a prompt to get people off the sidelines and involved. So it’s not really buying a $200 hat. Also not sure what the tax write off is for this one, but typically the value of the give-away is removed from what you can write off. So maybe a cheaper hat style helps in that regard?

dtlinderman

Georgia Tech Fan
You missed the whole point. It's not being marketed as a donation and getting a hat, it's "hey you can have this cool hat. $200."

$200 to the support the swarm fund. Not to a retailers pocket.

It is what it is. GT is finally doing some cool stuff and giving fans the opportunity to get some cool gear typically reserved for only the team/staff in an effort to find a unique way to raise money and the majority of the comments in here are “how dare they give me so little in return for my donation”.

It’s really disheartening and frustrating to see this from some of the fan base to be honest.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Well, Covid killed my business. Lost 250k of my own money. Had to start working 3rd shift at General Motors again after leaving 7 years ago. I also have 4 kids, one in nursing school, one in 1st grade and two in kindergarten. $200 for me isn’t happening right now. That’s my justification to it. Different times, different outcome.
Still the same fan tho!

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
$200 to the support the swarm fund. Not to a retailers pocket.

It is what it is. GT is finally doing some cool stuff and giving fans the opportunity to get some cool gear typically reserved for only the team/staff in an effort to find a unique way to raise money and the majority of the comments in here are “how dare they give me so little in return for my donation”.

It’s really disheartening and frustrating to see this from some of the fan base to be honest.

It's really frustrating that they can't read the room for the current situation. A lot of folks struggling. Yes, even Tech folks.