GT ATL Hats

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not really, they had great success with the 404 day donation last year because people wanted the backpack and hat so they tried a similar thing. It's a play to help fund a struggling GTAA from a subset of people that like the gear and will respond. If you don't want it, are struggling this year, etc... then don't you don't have to do anything. It's hard for me to believe that a person that is so offended by the post would participate if it was worded better or differently. But if that's really the case, I'm sure there will be other opportunities. We should be glad some people are willing and able to step up in these times rather than crap all over it.
It's simple. All they had to say is that for a $200 donation, you get a limited run ATL hat while supply lasts. There's only 404 of them in the limited run.

That's how you market this. Instead, they're trying to sell a $28 hat for $200 and saying the proceeds go to Support the Swarm. They've got is bass-ackwards, like usual. I love my alma mater. I fully support it every chance I get. I just get frustrated with the lack of common sense by people who should know better.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
It's simple. All they had to say is that for a $200 donation, you get a limited run ATL hat while supply lasts. There's only 404 of them in the limited run.

That's how you market this. Instead, they're trying to sell a $28 hat for $200 and saying the proceeds go to Support the Swarm. They've got is bass-ackwards, like usual. I love my alma mater. I fully support it every chance I get. I just get frustrated with the lack of common sense by people who should know better.
There is literally no difference between those statements. They tell you where the money is going so you know that it is a donation and you get a hat.
This isn't directed at you, but other Tech fans make it really hard to be a Tech fan.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck

That’s literally all you have to do to get a different response. And to THWG, yes, the result is the same, but the presentation is not. The presentation isn’t catered to the audience. At all. You’re walking into a room of analytical, egghead nerds (myself included) and saying “buy a hat for $200 and support your program”. Versus “we need your help, donate $200 and the first 404 get a free hat”. It sounds like a trivial difference, but it’s not. GT fans are cheap, and they (correctly or incorrectly, it doesn’t matter, because it’s the reality) expect a value. We really think we can frame this as selling a $200 limited edition hat?! For goodness sake, we didn’t even sell all of our season tickets (as of yesterday, day before season ticket selection ends), and now there are going to be Stinger Mobile passes sold. And there are going to be people buying them that pay less ($370) than season ticket holders for all home games. And that also means opposing teams fans will be buying those Stinger passes, like Clemson and ND, as that Stinger pass will cost less for our whole season than they would pay to get in one of their games.
We as a fan base aren’t to the point of “selling” a limited edition, cheap hat for $200 to raise funds. We can’t even sell all our tickets to season ticket holders when we reduce our capacity to 20-25%. So we REALLY tried wrapping something as “buying a limited edition hat for $200”? That might fly at places where the product (quality of on field play) at least somewhat matches the hype, but we aren’t there yet. UGA could do that. Bama or Clemson could do that. We can’t. Not yet at least.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Even though this $200 donation is for Support the Swarm, I feel the entire A-T Fund should be revamped. $150 is the minimum and aside from a window decal, you don't get anything that other people can see. It's not visible, it doesn't have that WOW factor to attract other people to donate.

I'm providing 2 examples of close by FBS teams. One is Clemson's IPTAY (https://iptaycuad.com/giving-levels/) and the other is the newly re-branded Erk Russell Fund from Georgia Southern (https://gseagles.com/sports/2020/7/21/erk-russell-fund.aspx).

For comparison, here is the A-T Fund with last years benefits still listed (http://atfund.gatech.edu/sites/default/files/images/fy2020_benefit_chart.jpg)

Both of those start at $60 vs us at $150. From a sidewalk fan's (even though my sister attended and I worked camps under Paul Hewitt) perspective, we have an elitist mindset that hurts us when we try to attract money. Had the minimum for the A-T Fund been at $60, I would donate the $200 and get the hat. But, I can't give $350. We need some real world help when it comes to our giving societies. Revamp the A-T Fund and more money will start coming in. Had the minimum been $60, I would have been giving for almost 20 years now! I can only give me as an example because that's who I know best, but I'm sure some of you would have started giving earlier as well.

Make the donation for the hats $50 and the intake will easily surpass what the $200 donations would bring in.

Last edited:

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
For comparison, here is the A-T Fund with last years benefits still listed (http://atfund.gatech.edu/sites/default/files/images/fy2020_benefit_chart.jpg)

Both of those start at $60 vs us at $150. From a sidewalk fan's (even though my sister attended and I worked camps under Paul Hewitt) perspective, we have an elitist mindset that hurts us when we try to attract money. Had the minimum for the A-T Fund been at $60, I would donate the $200 and get the hat. But, I can't give $350. We need some real world help when it comes to our giving societies. Revamp the A-T Fund and more money will start coming in. Had the minimum been $60, I would have been giving for almost 20 years now! I can only give me as an example because that's who I know best, but I'm sure some of you would have started giving earlier as well.

The chart you linked says very clearly the lowest level is $50.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
The chart you linked says very clearly the lowest level is $50.

I over looked that. It was the young alumni club/new graduate club for along time. And it is the only one separated by a double line so it still may be that.

But it still has zero WOW factor when compared to the other schools.

Deleted member 2897

I'm an alum, and I sure as hell don't know 4 other alums who are millionaires

You gotta find new friends. :D I think it’s more like 2 or 3 out of 5...my comment was just out of frustration at a bunch of rich people complaining about a $200 fundraising campaign.

GTZachary

Jolly Good Fellow
Id buy it if it was a nice hat. Flat bill SnapBack, blue with solid gold letters or gold with sold white or solid blue letters. I don’t want a craptastic trucker hat.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I'm an alum, and I sure as hell don't know 4 other alums who are millionaires

The wow factor of the word millionaire hasn't kept up. If you have a $300,000 house, $50,000 in savings, and a $650,000 401K you are by definition a millionaire. Someone can have that and not be entirely comfortable in retirement.(You can have much less than that and survive quite well in retirement, but even with that it isn't like you can really afford to buy a new luxury car every year.) It doesn't mean anymore that you can buy almost anything you want and take unlimited vacations to Europe.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The wow factor of the word millionaire hasn't kept up. If you have a $300,000 house, $50,000 in savings, and a $650,000 401K you are by definition a millionaire. Someone can have that and not be entirely comfortable in retirement.(You can have much less than that and survive quite well in retirement, but even with that it isn't like you can really afford to buy a new luxury car every year.) It doesn't mean anymore that you can buy almost anything you want and take unlimited vacations to Europe.
Agree with this statement, I am mid thirties and married to a fellow GT grad. She and I have both worked white collar jobs since 2007, and passed the mark. We aren't anywhere near living the bottles and boat lifestyle, but we also are reasonable in what we spend. Buy nice cars, but own them for longer enough to not suffer the depreciation, have a nice home that has appreciated a bit after 5 years and save a large portion of our income in various vehicles (401K, savings and other investments).
$1,000,000 in total assets is not the same high-water mark it used to be.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree with this statement, I am mid thirties and married to a fellow GT grad. She and I have both worked white collar jobs since 2007, and passed the mark. We aren't anywhere near living the bottles and boat lifestyle, but we also are reasonable in what we spend. Buy nice cars, but own them for longer enough to not suffer the depreciation, have a nice home that has appreciated a bit after 5 years and save a large portion of our income in various vehicles (401K, savings and other investments).
$1,000,000 in total assets is not the same high-water mark it used to be.
Let's not forget you can't just look at assets. I think when someone says a millionaire, it implies net worth so a $350k home with $250k left on the mortgage is net worth only $100k.