GT at ND Post Game Discussion

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree with everything you said. There are a lot of questions. I have no idea where the odd substitution patterns are from or why they exist.

My biggest concerns going forward:

- Staff losses and quality of replacements. I am unimpressed.
- Lack of a real identity ( I know what the head coach says over and over, I mean a real identity, leadership stuff)
- Development of the "projects". I don't want to go there publicly.

My positives going forward:
- We lose no talent. Gueye is a nice post player but at a replacement level. Alston should not be on an ACC team.
- The project guys have all shown a moment here and there with Sjolund making a few shots.
- The core is solid next year. I believe in Jose and Devoe. I think Banks is a legit post defender.

If Pastner can coach, we should be a mid-tier ACC next year. The core and a couple of projects getting better would put us there. I have no idea if he can do it. I think that's when we find out. We don't really learn much this year.

While I agree that the core is there, I think we will scour the grad transfer market for a perimeter scorer. Adding Jordan Usher will give us some instant offense, but I still think that we need to try and find a gunner (i.e. Adam Smith)

Khalid Moore has a bright future as well. I think that he will be capable of putting up some nice nights offensively.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This downward spiral looks like probably no more wins this year. Haven't looked at the schedule but might have a shot at Wake or BC. We are not getting good play at PG . Devoe needs to be at 2 to have better chance to score. Jose is in a slump now and just needs to run the point. Only bright spot has been AD and Devoe is improving. I hope I am not as disappointed with baseball as I am with BB. We need to recruit a PG for the future unless the plan is for Devoe to take that over.

GT_EE78

Banned
We screwed
Double screwed if we get "Gregoried Again" ... when the AA plays the "ain't got no money" song to give a coach an extra year (when they already know he's a goner as soon as money available) program gets set back for two cuz next coach misses the early signing period. Getting "Gregoried Again" is a recipe for lost decades. If the AA finds themselves in that position again they need to step up to the plate (yes-fundraising is their job) rather than let the program suffer.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with everything you said. There are a lot of questions. I have no idea where the odd substitution patterns are from or why they exist.

My biggest concerns going forward:

- Staff losses and quality of replacements. I am unimpressed.
- Lack of a real identity ( I know what the head coach says over and over, I mean a real identity, leadership stuff)
- Development of the "projects". I don't want to go there publicly.

My positives going forward:
- We lose no talent. Gueye is a nice post player but at a replacement level. Alston should not be on an ACC team.
- The project guys have all shown a moment here and there with Sjolund making a few shots.
- The core is solid next year. I believe in Jose and Devoe. I think Banks is a legit post defender.

If Pastner can coach, we should be a mid-tier ACC next year. The core and a couple of projects getting better would put us there. I have no idea if he can do it. I think that's when we find out. We don't really learn much this year.
Starting to lose faith in Jose. Hasn’t been that impressive this year. And every time he makes a mistake he looks around like it is someone else’s fault.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Starting to lose faith in Jose. Hasn’t been that impressive this year. And every time he makes a mistake he looks around like it is someone else’s fault.

Interesting. I've seen numerous occasions where he makes a mistake and immediately pats himself on his chest indicating it was his mistake. I've also seen where he's gotten on teammates after mistakes because they can do better.

slugboy

Staff member

I don't think Jose is Marbury or KA, but he's an ACC level guard, and there's a ton I like about him. In some situations, I see him either trying to do too much or being asked to do too much, and I don't know which it is. Either way, what I look for is coaching that has him stay within himself (or stretch a little) so that he can succeed.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck

Jose has had his ups and downs this year. Granted, right now he is in a slump. More worrying is whether or not we are still seeing that same fiery competitive spirit and leadership that he has been known for in his short time here. You can't really blame him in my opinion. It's hard to always be the one bright spot on a boring team and to constantly carry the water for the rest of an otherwise underachieving team. Then, the minute you falter or let it get to you, you kind of get thrown under the bus by your coach. But I still believe in Jose. The coaches need to be building him up and boosting his confidence, instead of calling him out for this team's poor performances.

Last night the announcers went on and on about how Mike Brey had talked to TJ Gibbs before the game about forgetting about feeling pressure, and scoring, and winning and losing, and just to have fun playing and smile. And what happened, the guy found his mojo and scored 20 points.

Contrast that with Pastner calling out Jose's shooting woes and for not getting enough rebounds as a 6'-0" tall point guard on a team that has been out-rebounded in practically every game this season (read systemic problem, aka scheme problem, aka coaching problem).

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think Jose is Marbury or KA, but he's an ACC level guard, and there's a ton I like about him. In some situations, I see him either trying to do too much or being asked to do too much, and I don't know which it is. Either way, what I look for is coaching that has him stay within himself (or stretch a little) so that he can succeed.

Trying to do too much and being asked to do too much or the wrong thing in some situations. I have seen some of all of this. On being asked to do too much or the wrong thing, last night I did not think it was a good strategy to be using Jose at the high post area on the interior of the Notre Dame zone defense. Pastner has remarked many times about how Jose is undersized and should know better than to challenge bigs in the lane and around the rim, so what does he do last night, naturally he has Jose post up on the interior of the zone. I assume they were thinking put a good passer in there to kick out to open shooters, but it didn't work, and it was obvious it wasn't working early in the game, but the coaches kept doing it all night. That should have been Khalid Moore or Alston (I can't believe I am saying that) in that spot. It needs to be someone who has size (hence not Jose), can shoot the mid-range jumper, drive or pass, depending on how the defense reacts to them receiving the ball in that position. AD could be deadly from there if he could/would shoot from 15 feet.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
This downward spiral looks like probably no more wins this year. Haven't looked at the schedule but might have a shot at Wake or BC. We are not getting good play at PG . Devoe needs to be at 2 to have better chance to score. Jose is in a slump now and just needs to run the point. Only bright spot has been AD and Devoe is improving. I hope I am not as disappointed with baseball as I am with BB. We need to recruit a PG for the future unless the plan is for Devoe to take that over.

Jose can be our point guard for the next two seasons, but I agree he should go back to primarily running point and Devoe should be at the wing.

GT_EE78

Banned
Can't see any good reason for that. Jose just altered his game for the "team" benefit (to try to be the leading scorer) If he still had Okogie/Lammers to pass to ,things would be different. Next year should be different too with scorers available to pass to. Things are unlikely to change this year unless Devoe and Banks start knocking down 15 per game.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Firing Pastner isn’t going to happen and probably not needed right now. Firing a few assistants needs to happen fast. If you can’t coach or recruit, you’re pretty damn useless as an assistant.

I’m not sure what it is, but something is systematically wrong with our basketball program that affects how we shoot. I don’t even know how that’s possible, but we shouldn’t be this incapable of hitting wide open shots over the course of this many years and 2 different coaches. Every year but 1 since Hewitt left we have been in the bottom quartile (mostly far below) across roughly 350ish NCAA teams in 3 point shooting. You can’t sit here and tell me this is a result of a lack of talent. There are TONS of teams that aren’t good that can at least shoot the ball. You don’t have this kind of consistency of poor shooting without something else being wrong. There is zero reason Haywood shoots as bad as he does. He came in with a beautiful stroke and we turned him into a 27% 3pt shooter who averages 6ppg.

3P% Rankings:
Pastner
340/353
320/351
280/351

Gregory
125/351
349/351
304/351
261/347
291/345

Hewitt
328/345
96/347
247/343
80/341
68/336
24/334
221/330
70/327
147/326
49/326
63/321

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Can't see any good reason for that. Jose just altered his game for the "team" benefit (to try to be the leading scorer) If he still had Okogie/Lammers to pass to ,things would be different. Next year should be different too with scorers available to pass to. Things are unlikely to change this year unless Devoe and Banks start knocking down 15 per game.

I agree with your sentiments about Jose, but who are these scorers that will be available to pass to next year?

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Won't repeat the obvious, everything else negative has already been said, so I'll just make an observation ... on offense (with a couple exceptions) it looks like nobody even wants the ball in their hands let alone looks to score.
The exceptions would be Devoe, and I agree he is improving and looks to be legit and Soljund, in the brief amount of time he played ... Gueye and Banks are very inconsistent.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
10-4. I agree on Banks and Devoe, but they are already on the roster and already averaging double digits or almost this year (Banks 10.4, Devoe 9.2). Maybe/hopefully they will both be closer to 15 nest year. Usher, we will see. He was averaging 8.6 through 12 games of non-conference play in his sophomore season at USC. Hope he turns out better than our last 8 ppg transfer (Shembari Philips).

GT_EE78

Banned
10-4. I agree on Banks and Devoe, but they are already on the roster and already averaging double digits or almost this year (Banks 10.4, Devoe 9.2). Maybe/hopefully they will both be closer to 15 nest year. Usher, we will see. He was averaging 8.6 through 12 games of non-conference play in his sophomore season at USC. Hope he turns out better than our last 8 ppg transfer (Shembari Philips).
I dunno what happened in the phillips xfer (maybe acc is just tougher than sec). hopefully he gets his swag back for next year. In Jordan's case i was looking at his frosh stats (whole season) 8.4 ppg 24 mpg. so if he gets 30min+ and considering two yrs dev time i dont see why not. IF all four of them can do 15 ppg then the fifth starter can get by more as a role player than scorer (which may happen anyways) . so I still think Jose's stats will bounce back if he doesn't have to shoulder as much of the scoring burden.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I dunno what happened in the phillips xfer (maybe acc is just tougher than sec). hopefully he gets his swag back for next year. In Jordan's case i was looking at his frosh stats (whole season) 8.4 ppg 24 mpg. so if he gets 30min+ and considering two yrs dev time i dont see why not. IF all four of them can do 15 ppg then the fifth starter can get by more as a role player than scorer (which may happen anyways) . so I still think Jose's stats will bounce back if he doesn't have to shoulder as much of the scoring burden.

I think 8.4 ppg 24 mpg were Usher's 2018-2019 stats (sophomore season, only 12 games), but I agree with you nonetheless. Hopefully he will fit in nicely and average double figures next year.